MakeMKV Batch Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
barrettuk

Re: MakeMKV Batch Converter

Post by barrettuk »

Chetwood wrote:Forced subtitles are a complicated issue, I'm not even sure MakeMKV recognizes them from DVDs, so I wouldn't get may hopes out. Set your standalone to OFF and when you watch Avatar or something, turn them on manually.
Not sure what you mean by standalone to off? It seems if I ripped the DVD (using CloneDVD) with subtitles which it looks like I did most of the time, then the MKV after conversion has them 'burnt-in'? When I play the MKV I couldn't turn off the subtitles, I was able to open the file in the MKVTOOLS utility and un-select the subtitles and re-mux but that seems like a lot of manual work for the 600 odd movies in my collection :-( I was looking to see if I could somehow exclude them within the conversion process??

Thanks!
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Standalone means DVD player. If you watch it on your PC with a software player you can easily turn the off cause MakeMKV does NOT burn them into the video.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
barrettuk

Post by barrettuk »

Chetwood wrote:Standalone means DVD player. If you watch it on your PC with a software player you can easily turn the off cause MakeMKV does NOT burn them into the video.
Thanks for your help, I tested the files in Windows Media Player and couldn't turn off subtitles no matter what, but playing through MediaBrowser to clients worked and the subtitles didn't show! I also found a great little utility to create and move the .mkv into their own folder with the title name so everything is great now :-)
Tyrindor

Post by Tyrindor »

Why can you not add MKVs? Let's say I want to send 100 MKVs through that have 2 audio tracks, and then have MakeMKV remove the second track. It won't allow you to add the MKVs, simply because the browser only shows ISO and TS files. Kinda a big limitation for no apparent reason?

Also, Is the creator MIA? It hasn't been an updated for quite sometime and the latest version has some bugs.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Which are?
Tyrindor

Post by Tyrindor »

The biggest one being "Same as source" destination does not work. It just rips to a temp directory, but overwrites the file each time as others have pointed out. Some have had luck downgrading to the older version but that does it for me too.

Another is, you can't browse mapped drives, most people I know have their setup on NAS or similar, and this claims the directory doesn't exist when clicking on a mapped drive. You have to browse by IP alone if you want to access files this way.

You also can't add MKVs. MakeMKV supports MKV to MKV processing so only showing ISOs and TS when browsing files seems like a strange limitation (bug?).
sroffe

Post by sroffe »

I just discovered this program and its awesome! Saves me a ton of time - I needed to convert about 5,000 folders to .mkv so that I can make them compatible for Plex.tv.

My one issue is this - the first letter keeps dropping off, like Die Hard will then become Ie Hard. Very annoying to have to go into most of them, fix the error, then relink it via metadata so that the correct cover shows up.

I saw someone earlier post that he had this same issue - and the creator said he'd update the program to fix, but haven't seen him reply since so I'm not sure if its still happening?

I downloaded the most recent version at the beginning - v 2.1.1

Thoughts?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

2.1.1? I'm running 2.1.0 and don't see any such problems.
sroffe

Post by sroffe »

Chetwood wrote:2.1.1? I'm running 2.1.0 and don't see any such problems.
Well, I am. How do I fix this?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Shorter path to the target dir? Different filesystem on the target dir?
sroffe

Post by sroffe »

It appears to only drop the first letter if I select an entire disc drive. If I select a specific folder, then it doesn't do that. Weird.

Another issue I have is this: it appears that using this has degraded the quality of the movie. When I run them after converting, it comes out in 480p? Did I do something wrong? How do I fix?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Doubtful. The tool only controls MakeMKV which in turn does not touch video quality.
bfeist

Post by bfeist »

Hi, the download link in the first post seems to be dead. Is there another source for this?

Thanks
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

The 2.1.0 link in the first post works just fine.
Bahndit

Post by Bahndit »

Does anybody have another tool that they can recommend that does something similar to this one? I have hundreds of ISO's to convert and this program seems like it would be awesome but I can't get it to save the files in the "output folder" or "keep original filename" options to work on this application. It just keeps dumping everything in the "batch_temp" folder and eventually a file has the same name so this program writes over the top of it. Does anyone have any tips or something that you could point me in the right direction to. Any help would be much appreciated.