Hardware Error: Can I skip the faulty file

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
johnnygoodface

Hardware Error: Can I skip the faulty file

Post by johnnygoodface »

Hi all,

From time to time I hit a HARDWARE ERROR trying to read a BluRay.
It there a way to tell MakeMKV to skip this track (for example: /BDMV/STREAM/00091.m2ts"
I've notice the "default selection string" in the Advanced Preferences.
Is there a command line or a key in that string that can tell MakeMKV to ignore/skip the problematic file?
I've read the command lines file and there doesn't seem anything specifically for that

Thanks,

Jean
Woodstock

Re: Hardware Error: Can I skip the faulty file

Post by Woodstock »

You want it to skip the file you asked it to read?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
johnnygoodface

Post by johnnygoodface »

I get the hardware error WHILE reading the entire disk (in this case it's Alexander the Great)
It always stop on the same track.
I'd like MakeMKV to skip this faulty track and continue reading the rest
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, post the debug log, so we can see what is going on. MakeMKV usually only reads entire files (like a .m2ts) when doing the rip itself; just "opening" the disk reads the directory structure and certain support files. So, if it is trying to read 00091.m2ts, it is because that is one of the tracks you've chosen for it to read.

Are you trying to "backup" the BD, or rip its tracks into individual MKV files? A backup is going to try to do exactly that - read and copy every file. If one of the files can't be read, the backup itself has failed. Ripping to MKV files, just the track that was unreadable will have failed.
johnnygoodface

Post by johnnygoodface »

Hi,

Yes I'm doing a backup of a BluRay. I'll then use HandBrake to convert the backup.
So I've got this BD and the backup always returns a "Backup Fail" at the same place with this 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00006.m2ts' at offset '3994417152' error.

It always stops at the same file, same offset each time I try.

I know this file is the movie, cause it's 25GB in size.

I've confirmed that this file is not copiable by trying to copy it manually from the Finder on my Mac ("The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "00006.m2ts" can't be read or written. (Error code -36) after a few minutes copying)

What would it take for me to "skip" this error and continue reading the disk with MakeMKV
Is this error coming from the reader itself and it doesn't have a way to skip it?
Is it because my USB BluRay reader is to cheap?
Why can my regular BluRay player play the entire movie without failing, but my BluRay USB reader can't...
These "HARDWARE ERROR" happen quite often compare to reading DVD with my other USB reader...Why?

I've attached my log file

Thanks,
Jean
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Try using the OPEN button, and let MakeMKV read the directory structure. Look at the list of titles that results from this scan. As you highlight each title in the left window, information about it, including the M2TS file that makes it up, will be shown in the right window.

Since you're going through handbrake any way, you can can create MKV files of the titles that are NOT using 00006.m2ts, and use those. Handbrake will happily work from those.

You may find, though, that 00006.m2ts is one of the movie titles.
johnnygoodface

Post by johnnygoodface »

Hi,

I've tried your approach --- thx a lot!

On the left side I get all the Titles
If I select only the movie file (the biggest one) I was anxious to see if the faulty .m2ts (00081.m2ts) was included or not on the right side....
(Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00081.m2ts' at offset '72609792')

And in fact the segment 81 is listed there:

Name: MovieNameHere
Source file name: 00200.mpls
Duration: 2:47:25
Chapters count: 41
Size: 23.3 GB
Segment count: 59
Segment map: 68,15,69,16,123,11,70,118,71,19,72,119,73,22,74,120,75,25,76,121,77,28,78,122,79,31,80,33,81,35,82,37,83,39,84,41,85,43,86,45,87,47,88,51,90,53,91,55,92,59,94,61,95,63,96,65,97,67,98
File name: MovieNameHere_t00.mkv

So I guess I'm screwed now? Right? I can't skip this segment?

Jean
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, kind of, if you continue to use that drive.

But a "track following error" may be drive, not the disk. You didn't specify the kind of error you were getting, just that the system couldn't read the file. You can get a track following error if there is something IN the drive, blocking the movement of the laser assembly!

Do you have access to another BD drive?
johnnygoodface

Post by johnnygoodface »

Hi,

I've tried the same BD on another USB reader and got the same error.
By the way, that's the only details MakeMKV reports:
"Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00006.m2ts' at offset '3994417152'"

So it seems that's the BD that faulty.

In this case I'm out of luck since the segment is INTO the main movie.

Thanks for your help

Jean