How do you make a MakeMKV MKV file, dlna compliant?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Chetwood

Re: How do you make a MakeMKV MKV file, dlna compliant?

Post by Chetwood »

DLNA sucks, plain and simple. I've tried various servers and clients but so far they only seem to support external SRTs (as do the Samsung TVs I've been able to watch with).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
dragospascu

Post by dragospascu »

FYI, i just change the mkv file extension to avi and any movie plays nicely both on my panasonic and samsung via dlna (my comp runs on win7, i don't use any other media server).

also, i add subtitles with mkvmerge and i can see them on both tv's

maybe this will help
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

dragospascu wrote:FYI, i just change the mkv file extension to avi and any movie plays nicely both on my panasonic and samsung via dlna (my comp runs on win7, i don't use any other media server).
That's consistent with my discovery that "incompatible" MP4 files suddenly become "compatible" when they have the file extension "correct" file extension for a particular display device, when using DLNA. Have been wanting to set up a Linux server where I could use symbolic links to offer the same files under multiple extensions...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

I just want to say the support of MKV in Samsung TV's is pathetic to the point of useless.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Is that so? Other than embedded subs, they seem to be working fine here.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

Well I should have said its useless for what I use it for.

First embedded subs is one of the main issues. I watch a lot of anime. Not about to rip the subs out of every single show when I want to watch them. Though I could make a VBScript to do this for me with mkvtoolnix. I have made VBScripts to do dumber crap before. :D

Second lack of HI-10 support. Again because of anime. Though this is a beef I have with release groups. 12 year olds jumping on a new format that will never be supported commercially. Lacks hardware acceleration not to mention needs more CPU power to decode.

Third is lack of chapter stop support. Not a game breaker just an annoyance.

Fourth is the lack of FLAC support. It supports Vorbis not FLAC. Go fig.
TCBWZA

Post by TCBWZA »

I had an issue with this some time ago. MakeMKV started including stuff in the header that broke some of my players. On investigation this was a common problem that the authors of the MKV format had a fix for.

You can grab a tool that 'fixes' the header of the MKV. There description and download can be found at http://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html.

I haven't needed it for a while as I've been using Plex that allows on the fly transcoding as well as adding support of subtitles for ANIME on Samsung TV's and BluRay players.

Hope this helps.
freefulltime

Post by freefulltime »

I highly recommend Avdshare Video Converter
can easily convert MKV to Samsung TV with only three clicks: import the MKV files, set the output format, and start to convert.You can get it at http://www.avdshare.com/mkv-to-samsung-tv-converter
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So, essentially it's like using handbrake to convert to an MP4 file with a preset that does things the way Samsung's software likes them done.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging