Use libmmbd to play Blu rays on Windows (VLC and XBMC)

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
iampegram

Use libmmbd to play Blu rays on Windows (VLC and XBMC)

Post by iampegram »

I have tested these steps on a Windows 8.1 Pro laptop (x64, but the programs were 32-bit), mediocre specs. This worked for Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Walmart edition) and partially for Ender's Game (came up with 'anti-piracy' notice part way in, disc is legit though). I will be testing other blu rays as I have time.

This is assuming that you have the most recent version of MakeMKV installed, with an active beta key or purchased key.

Step 1: Navigate to the folder where MakeMKV is installed. Find the file "libmmbd.dll" and copy it.

Step 2a: For VLC, navigate to the folder where VLC is installed, and paste the file there.

Step 2b: For XBMC, navigate to the folder where XBMC is installed, and in the 'system\players\dvdplayer' folder, paste the file.

Step 3: Regardless of where you pasted the file, rename it to "libaacs.dll".

After following these steps, you should be able to play blu rays in these programs just as you would a DVD. Any limitations are probably the result of limited blu ray navigation support in those programs (such as selecting the wrong decrypted title/playlist).

Feel free to post any success stories, but I don't know how much help I'll be at troubleshooting.
Cheers!