Movies2MKV Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
rc4ester

Movies2MKV Converter

Post by rc4ester »

NEW version for Windows (no longer need Java to run)

Recently, I have been moving all my movies from iso and folder format to MKV in order to watch on Plex. Over the past few months I've developed an application that will find and convert movies/tv series specified in a directory.

Here is a picture of the application:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic use:
  • Press the Find Movies button
  • Select a folder for the application to search (ISO and Folder formats)
  • Once the application finds all the movies, select the Convert movies button
  • The results will be in the listed output path.
Note: If the application fails to find the correct main title or episodes. You can double click on the item in the table and it will open a window for you to select the available titles.
Eample:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if something is not working, you have any questions, or if you like the application. I'm also open for any suggestions on improving the application.

System Requirements:
  • Windows operating system
  • Java 1.7 or better
  • MakeMKV
Download application: Movies2MKV Converter

New version of Movies2MKV Available. Please download the windows version of Movies2MKV Converter.

Download windows application: Windows Movies2MKV Converter
Last edited by rc4ester on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
rc4ester

Re: Movies2MKV Converter

Post by rc4ester »

I know people have looked at this. Is there a reason why no one wants to give me any feedback or try the application? Are you able to get to it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Can't speak for anyone else, but, the application doesn't do anything that would apply to my work flow, so there is no reason for ME to look at it.

Plus it has one very, very large negative - it requires Java to be installed on the machine. Not going to happen here. For my work, I cannot afford the criminal implications of being hit with the "critical Java exploit of the week" on any computer installed on my network.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Woodstock,

Thanks for the information. My expertise is in Java development, hence the reason I used Java in the application. There is no Internet connectivity in this application, so I am sure that the "critical Java exploit of the week" wouldn't apply to this application. However, I understand you not wanting to install on your machine. You can disable all the browser connectivity. I'll see if maybe I can look into using J# or C# ....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Development in Java is not a big deal to most people, so don't sweat that. Like I said, I can only give feed back for myself. :)

One of the more popular tools for dealing with PGS subtitles is Java-based. Hasn't hurt that tool, and it lets it run on machines other than Windows.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

rc4ester wrote:I know people have looked at this.
I couldn't cause I would have to log in for that and I don't have an account.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

You are unable to download the application?

--
rc4ester
watchy

Post by watchy »

How does your app handle movies that have multiple cuts on the same bluray?
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Watchy,

That's a very good question. I know about the blueray protection they have where it lists multiple of the same movie and it's hard to determine which one is the correct one. I have not yet found a way to handle that situation. I've been using DVDFab to find the correct title and then my app to convert to MKV. I could do it in DVDFab, but I like the better control MakeMKV gives in generating the MKV file. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle that type of protection?
watchy

Post by watchy »

I actually meant ones that have 2 tracks, 1 for extended version/unrated and 1 for regular, but the ones with hundreds of tracks is a good question. I really don't know how to handle that but maybe I can think of something. I really like the program.

You should have a static setting for an Output folder. Maybe it does and I missed it? I just used the software briefly at home. But I'm really interested in helping you with feedback on improving/adding to it.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

watchy,

My application will pick the largest size in bytes, movie length, and chapters. So most likely, it will grab the extended version of the movie initially. However, if you don't want that title, you can double click on the movie and it will show you the rest of the titles. Yes, you are correct, there isn't a default output path. It generally puts the converted movie in the path where it found the ISO or folder. You do have the ability to change all the root paths for everything it's found by clicking on edit->change output path. That allows you to set the output path for the movies listed in the application. Is that what you are thinking? Or are you wanting to save it, so that it is persistent for all movies/tv shows.

--
Richard
watchy

Post by watchy »

Yea just a setting so it always remembers. All of my ISOs are named correctly now and I usually name them correctly before i rip to mkv. Personally to set an output folder to say M:\Video and when i take the iso that is say Top Gun (1989).iso it does it to M:\Video\Top Gun (1989)\Top Gun (1989).mkv. Of course if its an extended cut and I notice it on blu-ray.com when i'm adding it to my collection, I can manualy go rename it to Top Gun (Extended Cut) (1989) folder + mkv.

Private message me your paypal acct and i'll send you some $ for your time on this. There is another app on here that worked well but the author is now MIA. Hopefully you don't go MIA on us and can keep making this even better.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

I can do that! I will work on it and update the main link with the new version. I'll PM you when it's done so you can download and test it out. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. :)
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

I've got a new version out there. It supports concurrent processing as well as it has an auto-update feature. The application will inform you if there is a newer version.
watchy

Post by watchy »

rc4ester wrote:I've got a new version out there. It supports concurrent processing as well as it has an auto-update feature. The application will inform you if there is a newer version.
I appreciate your work on it. I have actually been able to process 500 or so MKVs through it so far. It has saved me weeks of converting. Only main issue I have now is when I tackle TV episodes and have to figure out which one is which. Movies work flawlessly unless its a crazy BD you gotta know the playlist of or one of those wierd Disney ones that have 5 different playlist that has everything the same, just different Language Titles in the movie but thats not the fault of your app.

Thanks again!