Movies2MKV Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
rc4ester

Re: Movies2MKV Converter

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

I've updated the code so, hopefully it will rename or move it correctly without the fail notice.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

TolkienBard,

I'm assuming your app isn't Java driven? My guess the speed is most likely the difference between Java and C/C++. I've thought about writing it in C#, but I don't really have the development software. I'm currently using C# to start up the Java application. Microsoft has a free version I use for creating small command line applications. I used your application before I wrote this one. :)
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

What app are you talking about? MakeMKV Bach Converter was coded by agritton.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

rc4ester wrote:TolkienBard,

I'm assuming your app isn't Java driven? My guess the speed is most likely the difference between Java and C/C++. I've thought about writing it in C#, but I don't really have the development software. I'm currently using C# to start up the Java application. Microsoft has a free version I use for creating small command line applications. I used your application before I wrote this one. :)

It's not my converter. It's the other one posted here in the forums MakeMKV Batch Converter. I had nothing to do with its development. I was just using it is a baseline for what to expect from this one in terms of functionality. I believe (though I am not certain) that agritton wrote that other one.

I'm just now stirring this morning, but from what I can tell so far this new batch converter worked just fine. I had it run 85 movies last night. Today I'll see how it handles converting television shows saved as Video-TS I'll let you know how that goes.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

So, I just learned something the painful way. There were a few movies in the queue that did not get converted because the PC went through an auto restart while I wasn't paying attention. That part is entirely my fault and no big deal. When I re-opened the batch converter, the queue was still there. Wonderful! So then I pressed the "Convert Movies" button. It went through and quite expectedly reported "Failed" on all the folders it had already converted and then knocked out the other ones that were still left over. So far, so good. :P

Now the horror.

In each of the files it looked at and "failed" , the .mkv file that had been in the folder was erased. Furthermore, those erased files did not find their way to the Recycle Bin. :x Unfortunately, I had the converter set to "Remove original movie" when I did the initial conversion. As such, I now need to pull all those DVDs off the shelf and re-rip them to the hard drive. This behaviour is something I would probably look into and finding a way to prevent or to at least warn the user.

My report on how it handles a batch of various television shows will have to wait until I rebuild the library. :|
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

TolkienBard,

I am really sorry, It is supposed to skip ones that say they are already completed. I will definitely look at that and release a new version right away. I've made so many changes recently, I forgot to check that. I'll have a new version out there for you sometime today.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

I am really sorry, It is supposed to skip ones that say they are already completed. I will definitely look at that and release a new version right away. I've made so many changes recently, I forgot to check that. I'll have a new version out there for you sometime today.
No biggie. This is what testing is all about. I lucked out and it was only one of my movie drives that this happened with. Those discs still reside on the wall in the other room. It would have been far more irksome if it had happened while I was working with my television shows. Those disks are all stuffed into large totes in the garage. I don't look forward to having to fish through all of those.

So far, I like what I am seeing though. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I have some funds left over aft bills on payday. I really need to send some your way for taking the time to work on this.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

TolkienBard wrote:

No biggie. This is what testing is all about. I lucked out and it was only one of my movie drives that this happened with. Those discs still reside on the wall in the other room. It would have been far more irksome if it had happened while I was working with my television shows. Those disks are all stuffed into large totes in the garage. I don't look forward to having to fish through all of those.

So far, I like what I am seeing though. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I have some funds left over aft bills on payday. I really need to send some your way for taking the time to work on this.
I have updated the code, it should not skip over completed movies. Here are the actions I took to prevent what happened to you.
  1. If the status or progress has the word "Completed" in it
  2. If the source file doesn't exist
  3. If the converted file exists already.
On the third option, I also show a warning message saying it won't be converting the following because the output file already exists.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

rc4ester wrote:
TolkienBard wrote:

I have updated the code, it should not skip over completed movies. Here are the actions I took to prevent what happened to you.
  1. If the status or progress has the word "Completed" in it
  2. If the source file doesn't exist
  3. If the converted file exists already.
On the third option, I also show a warning message saying it won't be converting the following because the output file already exists.

Outstanding. I'll let you know how everything goes this evening.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

I'm not sure what it is you changed for the update to 1.7.18, but whatever it is, it broke the program. Now it loads up a queue just fine, but every single conversion quickly switches from "Initializing" to "Failed". The previous version managed to convert 235 of 237 files (mixed BD ISO and DVD TS folders) just fine over a 36 hour period. One or two files I could buy that it is my rip that is bad, but a rapid failure of the first 40 titles in under 5 minutes tells me there is something not working correctly.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

TolkienBard wrote:I'm not sure what it is you changed for the update to 1.7.18, but whatever it is, it broke the program. Now it loads up a queue just fine, but every single conversion quickly switches from "Initializing" to "Failed". The previous version managed to convert 235 of 237 files (mixed BD ISO and DVD TS folders) just fine over a 36 hour period. One or two files I could buy that it is my rip that is bad, but a rapid failure of the first 40 titles in under 5 minutes tells me there is something not working correctly.
May I ask what the previous version number you had was? Also, could you enable debug and send me the log file?
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

rc4ester wrote:
TolkienBard wrote:I'm not sure what it is you changed for the update to 1.7.18, but whatever it is, it broke the program. Now it loads up a queue just fine, but every single conversion quickly switches from "Initializing" to "Failed". The previous version managed to convert 235 of 237 files (mixed BD ISO and DVD TS folders) just fine over a 36 hour period. One or two files I could buy that it is my rip that is bad, but a rapid failure of the first 40 titles in under 5 minutes tells me there is something not working correctly.
May I ask what the previous version number you had was? Also, could you enable debug and send me the log file?
I forgot to keep track of which version I was using before there was an issue. Sorry, that's my bad. I do know that I updated my version through the auto-update prompt right before committing the large batch I mentioned to conversion. I'll get the log for you here shortly.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

1.7.18 works just fine for me.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

Chetwood wrote:1.7.18 works just fine for me.
That would suggest something on my end, but the only thing I have changed is updating Movies2MKV. I'll try uninstalling both Movies2MKV and MakeMKV and I'll see what a clean install approach does.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

TolkienBard wrote:
Chetwood wrote:1.7.18 works just fine for me.
That would suggest something on my end, but the only thing I have changed is updating Movies2MKV. I'll try uninstalling both Movies2MKV and MakeMKV and I'll see what a clean install approach does.
After looking at your log. It appears to have a " in the path of your file name:

Code: Select all

OS error - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect' occurred while creating 'K:"/title00.mkv'
That's odd, I've not seen that before. I see a potential problem here and I might know what the issue is. Your output path is K: drive and the command I'm sending is:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe", mkv, "file:K:\Hard Rain\VIDEO_TS", 0, "K:\"
In the programming the \ means an escape character... so \" means to keep the " as a " versus as a string delimiter. So what I think is happening is because you are saving directly to the root drive it's adding a quote to the output file name. I can fix this issue.

However, there is a potential issue still, if you are concurrently converting files. MakeMKV will use, if no title proper title is found, title00.mkv as the output file name (before I rename). It is conceivable that you could have name conflicts while converting 2 or more files at one time. I've not ever ran into the issue, but it seems like it could be a possibility.