Movies2MKV Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Chetwood

Re: Movies2MKV Converter

Post by Chetwood »

I'm getting an error message when starting it on my Win 8.1 64 bit PC: Error finding MakeMKV executable. MakeMKV is installed and should be found via the registry.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

I'll take a look at my application. Currently, I am not looking at the registry to find where the executable is. I'll see about changing the application to find it in the registry.

Just out of curiosity, what is the path to your MakeMKV exec?
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

I've updated the application. If you download, it should find the MakeMKV directory via the registry. Please let me know if you have any problems.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Thanks but now I'm getting

Error starting application: null

MakeMKV is installed in d:\Programme\MakeMKV.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

Could you try the following and send me the stack trace that gets displayed.
  • Open a command prompt
  • Change directory to where Movies2MKV Converter is installed
  • Run the command below
  • Let me know what the stack trace is
Manual load command

Code: Select all

java -cp ./*;./lib/* com.hom.r4.mkv.app.Movies2MKVConverter
It should show the error on the command prompt. Please copy the entire error stack trace. This will help me find out where the error is located in the code.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

D:\Programme\Movie2MKV Converter>

java -cp ./*;./lib/* com.hom.r4.mkv.app.Movies2
MKVConverter
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.ibm.tools.fs.io.FileExt.<init>(FileExt.java:128)
        at com.hom.r4.mkv.app.Movies2MKVConverter.findMakeMKVConv(Movies2MKVConverter.java:214)
        at com.hom.r4.mkv.app.Movies2MKVConverter.<init>(Movies2MKVConverter.java:108)
        at com.hom.r4.mkv.app.Movies2MKVConverter.main(Movies2MKVConverter.java:151)
It stops right there and I'm getting this window again: Error starting application: null
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Thanks for the fast reply. It looks like the registry call is not returning what I need or it differs from what my program expects. Could you do the registry call manually on the command prompt?

Here's the command:

REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\makemkvcon.exe"
Please send me the output from the registry call.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

As expected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\makemkvcon.exe
(Standard) REG_SZ D:\Programme\MakeMKV\MakeMKVcon.exe

BTW, since I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit, shouldn't your tool use makemkvcon64.exe as well? Thx.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Chetwood,

I'm also on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I've searched the registry and it does not give me a path to makemkvcon64.exe. However, since it does give me the path to where MakeMKV is located, I can get the makemkvcon64.exe path by just looking in the directory. I can determine if the machine is a 64 bit machine by looking at the environment variables. Besides, I know what the problem is in my code. Please download and get the latest version [1.7.8]. It should be working for you now. Sorry about all the trouble, but you certainly have made my program a little better with this code.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

Just FYI, currently there is an issue with current version. I should have it fixed in the next hour or so.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

OK, current copy is working now.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

The Download application link is currently broken. I'd love to test this out as I am having one minor issue with my other batch conversion solution.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

I just tested the link and ensured it was public. Could you try the link again? If not, please PM me and I will get a copy for you.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

The link seems to not like my Chrome Browser for whatever reason. However, opening it through IE did work. I'm trying out a batch now and will let you know in the morning how it went. I really like the function to have it delete the Video_TS folder once it is done converting a movie. That function alone is awesome. So far, I like how it is functioning, though I will say that it seems awfully slow. Just adding the files (about 200) to the queue took the better part of 45 minutes on my i5 4750 desktop.

The MakeMKV Batch Converter was a very rapid utility that did essentially the same thing yours is doing, but with slightly altered options, so I'm not sure why there is such a big difference in the amount of time the job takes to process. However, so long as I queue up a batch during the afternoon, I can fire it off before going to bed and most of it should be done for me to double-check during morning coffee.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I finally go the time to try the new version and it worked, sort of. For every BD I ripped, I got the message "conversion failed" but the conversion actually did NOT. The files were ripped to the new folder and were playable just fine. I've pm'ed you a log.