Change video codec during rip?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
atc98092

Change video codec during rip?

Post by atc98092 »

I've searched, but I can't quite get if the answer exists somewhere here. MakeMKV is a fantastic disc ripper. I've ripped over 2000 files (movies and TV episodes) with rarely a problem. Now I have one.

I just purchased a Samsung HU8550 TV. That's the 4K model. I use Serviio as my primary DLNA server, with Windows Media Streaming also enabled on the same computers. When I stream my Blu-Ray rips, they play perfectly, and look great on the Samsung. However, every DVD rip has a slight stutter to the video. Nothing drastic, but just enough to really destroy the viewing experience.

What is the difference between these two files? The video codec. Every DVD rip has MPEG2 video. The BD rips are either H.264 or VC-1 (same thing?). If I use Handbrake to change my DVD file into an MP4 with H.264 video, the file again now plays fine. I've streamed from multiple computers, both from Serviio and Windows streaming. Same result. Therefore, it's the video codec.

While I'm working with Samsung on the issue (they insist the TV should play them fine), I need to do something with my videos. What would be perfect would be if MakeMKV could change the V codec during the rip. Is it possible to create a profile that adds the switch to transcode the video, preferably into H.264? I know FFMPEG can do it from the command line, but again I have a couple thousand files to do. I can't just create a script because some MKV files already have a different codev (the BD rips).

The problem with Handbrake is two fold. A: it's much slower than MakeMKV (although I acknowledge that adding transcoding will slow it down) and B: Handbrake doesn't seem to be able to leave my captions tracks intact. I have only been able to hard burn the captions, and I'd prefer leaving them as a separate track.

If anyone has an alternative, I'd love to hear it. Thanks! :o
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
Woodstock

Re: Change video codec during rip?

Post by Woodstock »

Changing CODECs is not fast. MakeMKV is not the tool for that.

Visit handbrake.fr for a free tool that will let you recode your video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging