can I change the output filename logic?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
hatbrox

can I change the output filename logic?

Post by hatbrox »

Hi,

I would like makemkv to use the title name as I type.
currently if I type: Les Trois Frères, le Retour (2014)
the output file name is:
Les_Trois_Frères,_le_Retour_(2014)_t00.mkv

so I don't want the underscore in lieu of the space and I don't need the title (t00).

Secondly, I also would like to makemkv to automatically create a new sub-folder (inside the "default folder" of the same name and put the movie in there.

is any of the above possible?

thanks,

HB
Woodstock

Re: can I change the output filename logic?

Post by Woodstock »

Logic on creating the name, not yet. Not doing the _ is a frequent request we make of Mike.

But, if you have Expert mode enabled (General settings tab in preferences), you will be able to change the file name before the rip occurs; there will be a pull-down menu next to the "name" box that lets you change more than just the track name meta data.

When dealing with movies, I'll change the file name of the movie itself to be "correct", and let auto naming take care of the extras tracks that I really only watch once or twice.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hatbrox

Post by hatbrox »

Hi,

What a pity.
OK, then I keep my current annoying manual workflow, if anyone is interested:
I use Bulk Rename to clean up the file name. (There is a free version that's good enough for my purpose)
press CRTL+J and paste the path of the MKV output folder
add the rules as you wish.

then I use another
utility (free if you don't overuse it) to automatically created a folder named after each file and then move the file into said folder.

thanks for the reply.

HB.
PatCarol

Post by PatCarol »

Hi all;

I am new to the forum and having had a good look around it appears this naming issue is still a problem.

I have enabled "Expert" mode and while I can retype a new Movie Name - for the majority of times MakeMKV simply ignores it. Sometimes it keeps the name and appends an underscores in-lieu of the space and adds a tXX at the end; other times it ignores the renamed title completely and simply outputs title_t00. I have changed the output path to save directly where all my copied movies are stored and this is not a problem - BUT it is extremely tedious process to have to go back in and rename each movie (I do this individually as it is better for me than a bulk rename because I tend to copy 3 movies at a time, then use ThumbGen to create the metadata etc). I am happy with the workflow/process as it creates my desired output for my WDTV - but a real **** to have to manually rename each file after having done it with in the programme - Please fix this???? I have paid for the programme so would expect such a simple thing to work (as it is advertised for Expert Mode) - the programme, in all other aspects works great for my purposes - this appears a fairly simple thing to fix surely (from a non-programmer's perspective :))

Is there any other way of forcing the programme to accept the manually changed name?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pat
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In the MKV process, there are different things called "name". The one that is shown by default is what is put into the meta data for the MKV, AND is used to construct the file name... But all the spaces are replaced with "_" (not one of my favorite things either), and the track number is appended.

But you can also click on the button for "Name", and select that you want to change the FILE name... which allows you to put ANYTHING you want in.

The default naming would look something like this,

which you can change before ripping.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cmit0227

Post by cmit0227 »

Woodstock wrote:In the MKV process, there are different things called "name". The one that is shown by default is what is put into the meta data for the MKV, AND is used to construct the file name... But all the spaces are replaced with "_" (not one of my favorite things either), and the track number is appended.

But you can also click on the button for "Name", and select that you want to change the FILE name... which allows you to put ANYTHING you want in.

The default naming would look something like this,

which you can change before ripping.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

Original post for this issue was Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:52 am

two years almost to the day and this is still an issue?

no underscores and no track numbers by default. too much to ask?