How to delete HDR metadata and keep Dolby Vision only ?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Quentin19

How to delete HDR metadata and keep Dolby Vision only ?

Post by Quentin19 »

Hey, I have a little question.
Is there a way to delete HDR metadata on a mkv file and only keep Dolby Vision metadata ?

To make the file readable by devices like Apple TV 4K which only supports single layer.

Thanks in advance !
dcoke22

Re: How to delete HDR metadata and keep Dolby Vision only ?

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't think that deleting HDR and only keeping Dolby Vision will make it work on Apple TV 4K. As I understand it, Apple TV 4K only supports DV profile 5, which is DV intended for streaming. Dolby Vision on a UHD is not profile 5, it is profile 7 (I think), and Apple TV 4K doesn't have any software support for dealing with DV profile 7.

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/
HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p
Most UHDs with DV have HDR10 as a fall-back. So, if you use up-to-date MakeMKV to rip a UHD with DV and HDR10, plop it into your up-to-date Plex, and play it with the Plex app on Apple TV 4K (connected to a HDR capable TV), you should get the HDR10 fall-back.
Quentin19

Post by Quentin19 »

Yes I confirm that the HDR works with that kind of file without any problems, I play them on Infuse from my Plex server.

But my goal was to find a way to enjoy DV version of my movies as I just get a new LG CX but I think I’ll have to wait for an update from apple or lg...

Thanks anyway.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I haven't been following very closely, but there is another thread that might have the answers you seek. It is very long, however.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=18602
Quentin19

Post by Quentin19 »

Thanks I’ll try to look into it :)
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

I don't believe this is possible. DV builds on top of the HDR data, at least on UHDs. (That's my understanding, anyway.) If you toss the HDR data, the picture's going to look strange.