MakeMKV 1.15.4

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
aboulfad

Re: MakeMKV 1.15.4

Post by aboulfad »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 am
The 2019 Shield Pro will play them with DV and Atmos, but there are picture accuracy issues, especially with FEL titles.
According to another post (yours if I recall), it was mentioned the shield is only able to play single track dual layer DV. When one does a backup operation of an UHD DV disc in makemkv, there is no merge operation combining both tracks. So if a disc has dual tracks, would the shield pro still be able to play the corresponding backup?

how to check if a UHD DV disc is single or dual track - I am inclined to say all UHD DV discs are ?
Last edited by aboulfad on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 pm
Jango8 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 pm
Guys,
If I use MakeMKV 1.15.4 to backup my entire 4K disc (containing Atmos and Dolby Vision) and not create an MKV file (I want the whole disc), will the Shield Pro be able to play DV and Atmos (from a backed up 4K disc)?
Thanks
Not the Shield. I believe the newest Zidoo players can but please double check.
The 2019 Shield Pro will play them with DV and Atmos, but there are picture accuracy issues, especially with FEL titles.
Which app on the Shield will play a full disc backup with DV?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:05 am
shawnc22 wrote:
According to another post (yours if I recall), it was mentioned the shield is only able to play single track dual layer DV. When one does a backup operation of an UHD DV disc in makemkv, there is no merge operation combining both tracks. So if a disc has dual tracks, would the shield pro still be able to play the corresponding backup?

how to check if a UHD DV disc is single or dual track - I am inclined to say all UHD DV discs are ?
Mr_Orange wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:10 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 pm
Not the Shield. I believe the newest Zidoo players can but please double check.
Oops my fault, I skimmed over the part where you're making full disk backups and not mkvs. In that case, you're gonna need an oppo or one of its clones. No streaming boxes can play those as is in DV and lossless audio.
Jango8

Post by Jango8 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 am
aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:05 am
shawnc22 wrote:

Mr_Orange wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:10 am
shawnc22 wrote:

Oops my fault, I skimmed over the part where you're making full disk backups and not mkvs. In that case, you're gonna need an oppo or one of its clones. No streaming boxes can play those as is in DV and lossless audio.

Will the Shield Pro using Kodi as the media player, play a full backup of a 4K disc with Atmos and DV?
Oppo 203's are crazy expensive!!!
WIll any media player play a full backup of a 4K disc with nthe DV tracks?
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Jango8 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:20 am
WIll any media player play a full backup of a 4K disc with nthe DV tracks?
As above, the latest Zidoo players might.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

So I have the 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro ..to extract Dolbyvision from DV discs all I need is this 1.15.4 version of MakeMKV and no other program is required? Is there a definitive guide for correctly backing up a Dolbyvision UHD disc that someone can point me to? Thanks a lot!
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

fljoemon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 am
So I have the 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro ..to extract Dolbyvision from DV discs all I need is this 1.15.4 version of MakeMKV and no other program is required? Is there a definitive guide for correctly backing up a Dolbyvision UHD disc that someone can point me to? Thanks a lot!
No need for a guide. Just rip.

For playback on the Shield, you need the latest versions of Plex Media Server and Plex Client. Depending on your config and playback chain, the results are spotty. Nvidia still need to issue a fix for their Dolby Vision decoder.

There is also a forked branch of the Kodi RC that supposedly supports DV, but I have not tried it.

I believe that Emby also has a beta version that supports DV.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:26 am
fljoemon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 am
For playback on the Shield, you need the latest versions of Plex Media Server and Plex Client. Depending on your config and playback chain, the results are spotty. Nvidia still need to issue a fix for their Dolby Vision decoder.
The whole DV decoder crashing issue is really a curious one. Back when we were forced to do TS remuxes for DV, Plex never had these crashing problems. Lossless audio also worked without issue. The only time any videos crashed was when you turned on PGS subtitles. I reriped my entire DV collection, so I unfortunately can't go back and test if the TS files are now experiencing the same crashing issues as the mkvs. I still suspect that it's a Plex issue during the handoff to the hardware DV decoder, though, since I don't believe the decoder has changed much itself. I guess we'll see if it's really an Nvidia issue when DV support in Kodi matures a little bit.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 am
Mr_Orange wrote:
The whole DV decoder crashing issue is really a curious one. Back when we were forced to do TS remuxes for DV, Plex never had these crashing problems. Lossless audio also worked without issue. The only time any videos crashed was when you turned on PGS subtitles. I reriped my entire DV collection, so I unfortunately can't go back and test if the TS files are now experiencing the same crashing issues as the mkvs. I still suspect that it's a Plex issue during the handoff to the hardware DV decoder, though, since I don't believe the decoder has changed much itself. I guess we'll see if it's really an Nvidia issue when DV support in Kodi matures a little bit.
Interesting.

I'm in contact with a Plex employee via PM on their forums and I followed up with them following the release of the Shield Experience 8.2.2. They retested a sample file I had created from Mission Impossible 1 and confirmed that it wasn't working. They are pushing Nvidia again.

I don't really understand how it all works. Does the DV layer get handed off to the DV decoder and the main video to another decoder and then they get rendered together afterwards or does the DV decoder handle the entire video stream?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:56 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:
Interesting.

I'm in contact with a Plex employee via PM on their forums and I followed up with them following the release of the Shield Experience 8.2.2. They retested a sample file I had created from Mission Impossible 1 and confirmed that it wasn't working. They are pushing Nvidia again.

I don't really understand how it all works. Does the DV layer get handed off to the DV decoder and the main video to another decoder and then they get rendered together afterwards or does the DV decoder handle the entire video stream?
Ah, so it's something they can reproduce pretty reliably? I would say that for me it's worked more often than not, and I can't seem to find a pattern for it. Back in the early days of ts muxing, we looked pretty closely at what Plex was doing from the logs:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=87013&hili ... ode#p87013

Looks like what's happening is that ffmpeg is used to process the individual tracks in the container. If DV is detected, the DV decoder (OMX.Nvidia.DOVI.decode) is activated and then the entire video track is passed to it to be rendered with exoplayer. What you're describing in your first scenario is what would happen if the Shield was able to process FEL (instantiating two decoders at the same time for the BL and EL, respectively), but alas, it's not within its capabilities.

I haven't looked too closely at what changed in the logs when an mkv is played, but I'm sure the Plex engineers have looked extensively at it. Just odd that the same video track but now in a different container is all of a sudden causing the decoder to crash.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 am
Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:56 am
shawnc22 wrote:

Interesting.

Ah, so it's something they can reproduce pretty reliably? I would say that for me it's worked more often than not, and I can't seem to find a pattern for it. Back in the early days of ts muxing, we looked pretty closely at what Plex was doing from the logs:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=87013&hili ... ode#p87013

Looks like what's happening is that ffmpeg is used to process the individual tracks in the container. If DV is detected, the DV decoder (OMX.Nvidia.DOVI.decode) is activated and then the entire video track is passed to it to be rendered with exoplayer. What you're describing in your first scenario is what would happen if the Shield was able to process FEL (instantiating two decoders at the same time for the BL and EL, respectively), but alas, it's not within its capabilities.

I haven't looked too closely at what changed in the logs when an mkv is played, but I'm sure the Plex engineers have looked extensively at it. Just odd that the same video track but now in a different container is all of a sudden causing the decoder to crash.
Thanks for the explanation.

I can't find a pattern for when it will work and when it won't either, except to say that certain films (the Mission Impossible series and Days of Thunder (maybe Dolby don't like Tom Cruise - :lol: )) rarely work, even falling back to HDR10 with transcoded audio (don't ask me why Plex starts transcoding the audio when the DV fails :? ) doesn't work that often. Other films seem to go by the where the moon is in the Zodiac or the day of the week :roll:

I have an unsubstantiated theory that TVs that are limited to DV @30Hz (such as my 2014 LG) may have something to do with it.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 am
I have an unsubstantiated theory that TVs that are limited to DV @30Hz (such as my 2014 LG) may have something to do with it.
Have you tried manually setting the Shield video mode to be at 30hz? I know this will make the interface sluggish, but if this causes the crashes to occur less, then maybe you can attribute part of the crashes to the refresh rate switch that happens when a video starts.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 am
Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 am
Have you tried manually setting the Shield video mode to be at 30hz? I know this will make the interface sluggish, but if this causes the crashes to occur less, then maybe you can attribute part of the crashes to the refresh rate switch that happens when a video starts.
I have to set the Shield to 23.976Hz before I start Plex otherwise DV will definitely not work.
eggy81

Post by eggy81 »

I'm assuming the answer is no, but is there any way to rip a Dual Layer track separately like the old version?

The reason I ask is I like to rip the movies, re-encode it using ffmpeg to shrink it and add the DV track back and convert again in MakeMKV.

As a workaround I have been ripping, re-encoding (loading the DV metadata), then adding the DV layer back in using MKVToolNix and then running it through MakeMKV again. It works but is a slower process.
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

So, you guys saying that DV on MKV on Plex/Shield is faulty.. will it ever be fixed in a possible update no matter how long it takes, or are we doomed?