Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Mithrandir

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Mithrandir »

afarvvik wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:54 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:45 pm
afarvvik wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:50 pm
can you please confirm if you can FF/RW on the WebOS media player app with TS/m2ts files?
I just tested my C8 with DV TS files and I can confirm that FF/RW works on both PLEX and webOS app.
the file i tried had closed gop though
Hi @RESET_9999

Finally got round to testing this. can confirm FF/REW work in Plex & emby apps, so the issue was the jellyfin & webos inbuilt media player app.

Issue now is that in the Plex app if you select external srt subtitles it compulsorily transcodes even those files which otherwise play properly in "Direct Play" mode if subs are kept disabled. This is only happening with Plex, with emby everything plays ok even with subs.

I would've just stuck with emby & be done with it but for the bad UI design on the emby app on the tv where the subtitle toggle opens in full screen with a grey background & the movie keeps playing, so every time you disable or enable subs you also have to go back 10 seconds to see what you missed. Any clues of how to fix the Plex transcoding? I suspect it's a new issue in one of the latest plex versions as research seems to suggest this should not be occurring.

Thank you.
Default LG WebOS profile is broken for transcoding in Jellyfin (at least for CX).
It starts transcoding even when file is available for directplay. I edited the default LG profile to allow all files without transcoding and checked in logs that it uses DirectPlay.
dom61

Post by dom61 »

@RESET_9999
Thank you for the latest release and the updated tools package.
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
afarvvik

Post by afarvvik »

Mithrandir wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:14 am

Default LG WebOS profile is broken for transcoding in Jellyfin (at least for CX).
It starts transcoding even when file is available for directplay. I edited the default LG profile to allow all files without transcoding and checked in logs that it uses DirectPlay.
thanks for the reply. can you please let me know what version of jellyfin you did this in? is FF/REW working for you with m2ts files in jellyfin? I had to move to Emby because FF/REW was not working for me with m2ts files in jellyfin and I can not use plex because it transcodes when SRT is enabled.
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

How to get dvhe.08.06 BL+EL+RPU (Codec ID:hev1)?

Code: Select all

Video
ID                   : 1
Format                 : HEVC
Format/Info               : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile             : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                : hev1
Codec ID/Info              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                : 1 h 46 min
Source duration             : 1 h 46 min
Bit rate                : 80.1 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 128 Mb/s
Width                  : 3 840 pixels
Height                 : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio          : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate               : 24.000 FPS
Good day to all dear, explain to me who is aware of how you can get dvhe.08.06 BL+EL+RPU?
I met today first .MKV in this version, I was shocked, after which I received .mp4 (MI attached) from it and was in double shock, since the movie works fine on the built-in LG TV player. But how? Does the TV player know how to ignore EL or do I get a full Dolby Vision?
P.S. My TV LG OLED B9 2019, the firmware is the last one that was given officially
rbjtech

Post by rbjtech »

@RESET_9999

First of all - thanks for your amazing DV scripts - I found them after writing a VERY basic script of my own only to find out you had done all the hard work. :D

I did make a couple of additions to it though which you may or may not want to include in a future update.

a) use a variable for the DDP Track title name instead of hard setting it in the code.
b) use a variable to set the DDP Track to default - current it sets it as Default but does not remove the existing one from the copied tracks. Having two Defaults is probably not desirable.

:: choose the title track name for the added Dolby Digital Plus Track
set DDP_Title=Dolby Digital+
:: do not set DDP track to Default=YES - keep the existing Track Audio Default as is.  Set to 1=Set Default - old Default will not be removed..
set DDP_Default=0
Also each usage is then modified ..

if exist "%output_path%%filename%_7.1.ec3" set DDP=--language 0:%lmkv% [b]--track-name 0:"%DDP_Title% 7.1" --default-track-flag 0:%DDP_Default%[/b] --compression 0:none %delay% ^"^(^" ^"%output_path%%filename%_7.1.ec3^" ^"^)^"
if exist "%output_path%%filename%_EC3.mkv" set DDP=--language 0:%lmkv% [b]--track-name 0:"%DDP_Title% 5.1" --default-track-flag 0:%DDP_Default%[/b] --compression 0:none ^"^(^" ^"%output_path%%filename%_EC3.mkv^" ^"^)^"
I'd also like to correct the track order during the mkvmerge write (as the DDP track is added at the end, not after the last Audio track) - easily done with --track-order but I need to test a lot more first

I hope these might help a few users out and save a manual edit post the process.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

valington wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 pm
Please give me simple steps for creating mp4 7 profile dolby vision for my oled e8
Download this and export to a folder preferably without space or special characters.(don't move any files): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g-nQY5 ... share_link
download this beta version of the script and put it in your DoVi_Scripts folder (this contains the latest version of the DT-DL mp4 workflow: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SYnK9M ... share_link

Then if your input is a makemkv Profile 7 rip (7-3-1):

if your input is a bluray disc (7-3-2):

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

TheEqualizer wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:14 am
How to get dvhe.08.06 BL+EL+RPU (Codec ID:hev1)?

Good day to all dear, explain to me who is aware of how you can get dvhe.08.06 BL+EL+RPU?
I met today first .MKV in this version, I was shocked, after which I received .mp4 (MI attached) from it and was in double shock, since the movie works fine on the built-in LG TV player. But how? Does the TV player know how to ignore EL or do I get a full Dolby Vision?
P.S. My TV LG OLED B9 2019, the firmware is the last one that was given officially
P8 with EL is not standard and there's no need to use it since your TV support dual track dual layer Profile 7 FEL. See my reply to @valington
Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir »

afarvvik wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:00 pm
thanks for the reply. can you please let me know what version of jellyfin you did this in? is FF/REW working for you with m2ts files in jellyfin? I had to move to Emby because FF/REW was not working for me with m2ts files in jellyfin and I can not use plex because it transcodes when SRT is enabled.
Latest Jellyfin Version: 10.8.10.

I didn't see you are using m2ts files.
I'm using MKV and MP4 files and FF/REW works completely fine.

I used ts few times but can't remember if FF/REW worked.
I never used m2ts.

Isn't m2ts designed to work only in disc players?
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:25 pm
P8 with EL is not standard and there's no need to use it since your TV support dual track dual layer Profile 7 FEL. See my reply to @valington
Yes, I know that my TV 2019 supports 7 FEL, but not since 2020, and I need a universal option for tv 2019 and newer, up to this point I have used P8 BL+RPU, but I saw this non-standard option and it confused me. I am also aware that dvi.08.06 BL+EL+RU is not a DV standard, but still the question was, why does TV reproduce this option correctly, does it ignore el or somehow reproduces it as in cases with a two-layer 7 profile? And how did manage to get such an option dvh.08.06 BL+EL+RU?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

TheEqualizer wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 pm
Yes, I know that my TV 2019 supports 7 FEL, but not since 2020, and I need a universal option for tv 2019 and newer,
Surprised that HEV1 works on the B9 since it doesn't work on the C8.
The only universal solution that works EVERYWHERE is the TS/M2TS container in P8.
why does TV reproduce this option correctly, does it ignore el or somehow reproduces it as in cases with a two-layer 7 profile?
I don't know but you can try to use this P7 file and remux it to P8 without removing the EL and see if FEL is used:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J5QnjW ... share_link
you can force P8 with the mp4muxer:

"%mp4muxer_path%" --dv-profile 8 --input-file ST-DL.hevc --output-file "output.mp4"
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

I tested your video, extracted hevc from the TS container and got mp4, although the command that you gave lacks the -compatible-id parameter, it gave an error without it, I made all three options with -compatible-id 1 (2) (4) for full confidence. All three videos are strobed by the built-in player LG B9. I don't know why this doesn't happen on a particular movie...
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 pm
The only universal solution that works EVERYWHERE is the TS/M2TS container in P8.
Which specific version of tsMuxer do you recommend using?
begentle

Post by begentle »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:44 pm
spl147 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:23 pm
So much info in the thread, so what i gather is by converting a DV mkv with FEL to profile 8.1 we loose FEL?

So it’s the same a playing a DV MKV on a zidoo or dune? FEL is discarded and only the rpu is used?
yes FEL is discarded but know that not every FEL movie can be converted to P8 (or played on non-fel devices) because some of them are expanding the picture brightness when BL and FEL are decoded by the player.
So the DV metadata in the RPU is meant to be played with the FEL brightness ONLY. Playing these FEL movies on a non-fel device will result in an image darker than the intended look.

Here's a list of FEL movies that expand brightness (still looking into my library to find more):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
This is really interesting - and I'm extremely grateful for all the info you've gathered here.

What's the best way for me to check my own collection to see which FEL discs expand the picture brightness? What data should I be looking for?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

TheEqualizer wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:17 pm
although the command that you gave lacks the -compatible-id parameter, it gave an error without it,
Because I use the old mp4muxer that works on all the LG TVs and this parameter was implemented in the later versions of the mp4muxer.
All three videos are strobed by the built-in player LG B9
the homemade FEL test file can indeed be buggy on some players.
Which specific version of tsMuxer do you recommend using?
The latest one should be fine.
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases

The only downside of using TS on LG TVs is that you have to use external SRT subs. Some comments here recently said that ext srt doesn't work but on my end (PLEX C2), it still works.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

begentle wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:25 pm
What's the best way for me to check my own collection to see which FEL discs expand the picture brightness? What data should I be looking for?
Usually, the HDR10 base layer mastering display lum metadata will say 1000nits, and the RPU metadata will say 4000nits but the two only ways to really know is by plotting DV/HDR10 or by exporting some screenshots with the dovi baker.

E.G. Deep Impact:
https://slow.pics/c/nU0W23sh
https://slow.pics/c/SwbE119u

You can do all of this with the script in my signature.
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:01 am
Because I use the old mp4muxer that works on all the LG TVs and this parameter was implemented in the later versions of the mp4muxer.
I redid it using the same old version that is in your tools folder, the result was the same, a strobe light, this suggests that the TV cannot correctly reproduce dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU? If could, would I see a normal color scheme?