Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DMDreview

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DMDreview »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:45 pm
ok, I'm starting to understand what's going on with the different RPU responses on players in TV-LED and in LLDV. It seems the x700/x800m2 almost completely ignores L1 and always tone map to the TV edid target.
Yes, oppo and all bluray UHD players change the PRU in TV-LED mode. they change the data from the RPU and then it goes to the TV.
Shield tv does not touch the PRU.
I will show in a video soon how it looks like in the video data from the RPU.

It would be nice to decode back from the binary code of the RPU video to see what changes there specifically. But I don't know how to do that
LV8HD

Post by LV8HD »

@RESET_9999 Has this ever been fixed? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26034
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:17 am

It would be nice to decode back from the binary code of the RPU video to see what changes there specifically. But I don't know how to do that
if I understand what you’re asking, you can use dovi tool to convert (export or info) RPU.bin or specific frames to json, lots of ‘low level ‘DV RPU info in there.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:26 am
DMDreview wrote:

if I understand what you’re asking, you can use dovi tool to convert (export or info) RPU.bin or specific frames to json, lots of ‘low level ‘DV RPU info in there.
No, I physically see the RPU binary code in the ycbcr data video stream.
here's my video of what I'm talking about and how it looks from the TV and player's point of view.
(watch with English subtitles)
https://youtu.be/eQ9SOMlX0AI?feature=shared
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am
here's my video of what I'm talking about and how it looks from the TV and player's point of view.
Ah you want to capture then view the extracted RPU from the DV bitstream sent from a player. In that interesting video (hard to follow as its subtitles were TTS), he somehow captured the video stream via a capture card & is viewing it using DaVinci ? Since it's TV-led, I think the TV-Led video signal (DV) is tunnelled over HDMI via RGB 8-bit so I am guessing any 4K video capture card can do the job but I am unsure.

Odd, your username is the same as that YT video's channel ... Oh darn, are you the author of that YT channel & that video you shared above ?

The conclusion in that video summarizes what you're asking about, sorry way above my pay grade but very interesting video, thanks for sharing :)
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 am
Would this be able to play MKVs on my C9 that are Profile 7 FEL?
Yes, I guess the ST P7 MKV would work on the C9 kodi app. Let us know if you try.
LV8HD wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:30 am
@RESET_9999 Has this ever been fixed? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26034
no idea
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:54 am
DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am
Ah you want to capture then view the extracted RPU from the DV bitstream sent from a player. In that interesting video (hard to follow as its subtitles were TTS), he somehow captured the video stream via a capture card & is viewing it using DaVinci ? Since it's TV-led, I think the TV-Led video signal (DV) is tunnelled over HDMI via RGB 8-bit so I am guessing any 4K video capture card can do the job but I am unsure.

Odd, your username is the same as that YT video's channel ... Oh darn, are you the author of that YT channel & that video you shared above ?

The conclusion in that video summarizes what you're asking about, sorry way above my pay grade but very interesting video, thanks for sharing :)
Yes, I am the author. :)
I will try to make a translation for this video in English, I agree that it is hard to read subtitles and try to understand what is happening on the screen. auto speech translation misinterprets words, changes the meaning a lot.

And about decoding RPU from the video, I think it is possible if there is no encryption. But it's complicated.
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

DMDreview wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
ok, I'm starting to understand what's going on with the different RPU responses on players in TV-LED and in LLDV. It seems the x700/x800m2 almost completely ignores L1 and always tone map to the TV edid target.
Yes, oppo and all bluray UHD players change the PRU in TV-LED mode. they change the data from the RPU and then it goes to the TV.

does this mean bluray UHD players should also be categorized as 'fake TV-led'?
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm
Yes, I am the author. :) ...
Is the EDID info shown using the TV itself or some other method (Pgenerator on rpi mentioned by RESET) ?
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:47 pm
DMDreview wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:

does this mean bluray UHD players should also be categorized as 'fake TV-led'?
No, the TV still does the processing, but UHD players give it some hints based on EDID data from the TV itself.
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:17 pm
DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm
Yes, I am the author. :) ...
Is the EDID info shown using the TV itself or some other method (Pgenerator on rpi mentioned by RESET) ?
I don't quite understand what you mean. But as far as I know you can read EDID with the utility https://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm.
Although I haven't tried it myself.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:51 pm
I don't quite understand what you mean. But as far as I know you can read EDID with the utility https://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm.
Thanks I'll check out that tool. At 1'39" of your video, there's a black info overlay but now that I look at it, it seems maybe from your capture card (would you mind sharing which card ?). I thought it showed EDID but actually has lots of video signal properties.
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:15 pm
DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:51 pm
Thanks I'll check out that tool. At 1'39" of your video, there's a black info overlay but now that I look at it, it seems maybe from your capture card (would you mind sharing which card ?). I thought it showed EDID but actually has lots of video signal properties.
Now understood. this very good site with edid decoder https://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/edid-de ... ecode.html
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:44 pm
...Now understood. this very good site with edid decoder https://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/edid-de ... ecode.html
That's also helpful but not what I am asking about. I was asking how did you get EDID info from your TV. I thought wrongly that signal info showed it in your video. RESET_9999 explained few pages ago & I wondered if you were using the raspberry pi/Pgenerator. We can for now "forget about it" : )

PS: That moninfo tool didn't show anything useful (EDID) when I connected my Bootcamp/Mac to my LGTV via HDMI.
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

aboulfad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm
DMDreview wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:44 pm
...Now understood. this very good site with edid decoder https://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/edid-de ... ecode.html
That's also helpful but not what I am asking about. I was asking how did you get EDID info from your TV. I thought wrongly that signal info showed it in your video. RESET_9999 explained few pages ago & I wondered if you were using the raspberry pi/Pgenerator. We can for now "forget about it" : )

PS: That moninfo tool didn't show anything useful (EDID) when I connected my Bootcamp/Mac to my LGTV via HDMI.
device from hdfury can read ad save edid from tv