Super Mario Bros (1993) UHD issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
HarryKrishner

Super Mario Bros (1993) UHD issues

Post by HarryKrishner »

Hi, I'm getting the following when trying to rip the UHD version of Super Mario Bros (the 1993 movie and NOT the recent animated film; this just released in February from Umbrella Entertainment):

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=1534D764B687)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\chafa/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\chafa/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Super_Mario_Bros_201A.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
I submitted the dump file to svq@makemkv.com about a month ago, but still no luck with MakeMKV when I load the disc. I've successfully ripped UHD copies of Matrix, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Sleepy Hollow without issue, so it's not the drive. I wasn't sure if maybe my email had been passed over as it might have been confused with the animated "The Super Mario Bros. Movie", and I've seen a lot of threads on that film here (plus it's obviously much more popular than the 1993 movie).

Yes, "Allow internet access" is enabled, and there is nothing blocking MakeMKV, as I have no issues with other discs.

Any thoughts?
Woodstock

Re: Super Mario Bros (1993) UHD issues

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\chafa/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Your system is blocking downloading the key file. This is becoming more common as sanctions against Russia increase.

There are several fixes listed in a couple of topics about this on the board. My personal fix is to use an unrestricted system, but who knows how long that will last?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Is there a way of downloading the hk from an alternate source and then installing manually?
HarryKrishner

Post by HarryKrishner »

It looks like almost all DNS servers are blocking the hkdata sites. I finally found an alternate DNS that I can use to nslookup ping them, but I find that my internet provider (spectrum) is blocking specifically hkdata.crabdance.com, but not the fairuse.org version. I guess that is likely my issue?

Looking around the forums I see that the dev is possibly running into some real life issues, which if the servers are RU based that is understandable. I guess for now it's wait and see, and I hope the dev is safe and sound.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

no only way is to get it working on your end
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Yea but it just gets downloaded to a local users folder? So couldn’t someone just upload it and then someone else could download and just copy and paste it to the folder location?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No. That's not how it works. It's not a file.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Ok colour me confused.

No problem, just trying to help the guy out…
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

There's a private_data.tar file that is created from the encrypted hashed keys that are downloaded from the server. But that file is updated by MakeMKV and contains other data than just the hashed keys that MakeMKV uses to decrypt titles. There's not just "one file" that gets downloaded and inserted into the private_data.tar file. There's many. No one but Mike really knows how it works since, as mentioned, they're encrypted.