Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
stuckinkodiagain
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by stuckinkodiagain » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:09 am

Mission: Impossible Fallout on UHD blu-ray fails to decode in the latest version of MakeMKV (1.14.2). Dump file has been submitted to support@makemkv.com.

Thanks!
Last edited by stuckinkodiagain on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swaps
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decode

Post by Swaps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am

I got the 6 pack in today, and none of them decode. Sending dumps in.

stuckinkodiagain
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decode

Post by stuckinkodiagain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 am

Swaps wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am
I got the 6 pack in today, and none of them decode. Sending dumps in.
They must have changed the encoding, because the previous UHD discs for M:I’s 1-5 were all fine. Far as I know, they’re not new transfers.

st4evr
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decode

Post by st4evr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 am

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 am
Swaps wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am
I got the 6 pack in today, and none of them decode. Sending dumps in.
They must have changed the encoding, because the previous UHD discs for M:I’s 1-5 were all fine. Far as I know, they’re not new transfers.
To clarify a few points and to avoid the further spread of misinformation.

“Encoding” - In video context does not apply to what is being discussed here or what you think it means. As brief as I can explain it, means converting a video or video files to a standard video format. Another related term is “transcoding”. An example is what studios do with the DI (Digital Intermidiate) of any movie to create/author the Blu-rays that you and I purchase at the store. That process is a form of encoding.

https://www.google.com/search?q=encode+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

“Encryption” - Is what is being disucssed in this forum and what MakeMKV does with the keys. It is allowing the “decryption” of the AACS encrypted content which locks/“protects” that BD content to a certain extent from piracy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aacs+en ... e&ie=UTF-8

When you say, “They must have changed the encoding”, what you should be saying is, “They must have more that one encryption key”.

And in your post titles when you say “Failed to decode” the more correct terminology would be “Failed to decrypt”.

And yes, studios/BD authoring companies can use as many different encryption keys as they please for any one single BD/movie release.

stuckinkodiagain
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decode

Post by stuckinkodiagain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 am

st4evr wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 am
stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 am
Swaps wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:58 am
I got the 6 pack in today, and none of them decode. Sending dumps in.
They must have changed the encoding, because the previous UHD discs for M:I’s 1-5 were all fine. Far as I know, they’re not new transfers.
To clarify a few points and to avoid the further spread of misinformation.

“Encoding” - In video context does not apply to what is being discussed here or what you think it means. As brief as I can explain it, means converting a video or video files to a standard video format. Another related term is “transcoding”. An example is what studios do with the DI (Digital Intermidiate) of any movie to create/author the Blu-rays that you and I purchase at the store. That process is a form of encoding.

https://www.google.com/search?q=encode+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

“Encryption” - Is what is being disucssed in this forum and what MakeMKV does with the keys. It is allowing the “decryption” of the AACS encrypted content which locks/“protects” that BD content to a certain extent from piracy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aacs+en ... e&ie=UTF-8

When you say, “They must have changed the encoding”, what you should be saying is, “They must have more that one encryption key”.

And in your post titles when you say “Failed to decode” the more correct terminology would be “Failed to decrypt”.

And yes, studios/BD authoring companies can use as many different encryption keys as they please for any one single BD/movie release.
Thanks for the lesson.

Clearly, despite some terminology errors, you obviously understood what I meant. But I’ll be more careful to use the approved terminology next time.

Anyway, just trying to help and let everyone know that a dump file has been submitted, even if to the improper email address.

For anyone else who needs to know... The correct email where you should submit dump files for discs whose encryption keys failed to decrypt is svq@makemkv.com.

...Did I get that right, boss? ;)

extranet
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by extranet » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Installed previous version and it seems to be working now.

stuckinkodiagain
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by stuckinkodiagain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm

extranet wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:39 pm
Installed previous version and it seems to be working now.
Interesting. So with 1.14.1 it works, and 1.14.2 it doesn’t?

I’ve had that issue a couple times before with some discs.

extranet
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by extranet » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

I couldn't even get an older disc to work never mind Fallout. That's why I installed a previous version.

stuckinkodiagain
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by stuckinkodiagain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm

extranet wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm
I couldn't even get an older disc to work never mind Fallout. That's why I installed a previous version.
I’ll try this when I get home, thanks!

The only discs I’ve tried since 1.14.2 are M:I Fallout, The Nun, and The Lion King on UHD - which all failed to decrypt - and Searching on regular blu-ray - which worked just fine.

dmillionz
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by dmillionz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 pm

I tried to rip MIF 4K with the previous version and even updated keyhash file and received the same dump file. The same with The Nun 4K.

babypuncher
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by babypuncher » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:26 am

In other forums people are reporting that their disks from Target work just fine (in a certain canid-themed competitor) but disks bought on Amazon do not work.

st4evr
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by st4evr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 am

babypuncher wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:26 am
In other forums people are reporting that their disks from Target work just fine (in a certain canid-themed competitor) but disks bought on Amazon do not work.
And that competitor gets its keys from MakeMKV. Its very own developers have openly/candidly admitted to this fact. They rely on Mike’s work for their UHD support. By saying this in no way do I want to start an argument or dicussion of them versus MakeMKV again, as that occurred, had its moments, and is now in the past. Just mentioning it for clarification. Moving on....

As more people submit their keys to Mike, support for more variations will surely follow. It’s happened and has worked just fine for over a year now.

extranet
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by extranet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 am

I have the Spanish version. But even so I couldn't rip it with 1.14.2. It does rip with 1.14.1.

qwiklap
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by qwiklap » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

No luck ripping mine ... even with 14.1 and latest key file.

My copy is from Amazon.

Is there a step-by-step on how to upload the dump file?

st4evr
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout UHD - Fails to decrypt

Post by st4evr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 pm

qwiklap wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm
No luck ripping mine ... even with 14.1 and latest key file.

My copy is from Amazon.

Is there a step-by-step on how to upload the dump file?
The information discussed in this thread may be helpful to you:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=18360

It's not that difficult. Attach the dump to an email. Send the email to the address discussed in the posts above. It's not some 20 steps process.

Post Reply