AACS 2.0 is cracked?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ccutrer

Re: AACS 2.0 is cracked?

Post by ccutrer »

Woodstock wrote:Ah, I see - then the claims in this topic aren't what they seem to be - they've decrypted the disk, but are still working on the "other stuff". One of the posts here seemed to say the cracked titles were available as MKV files already, and no one mentioned anything about getting access to the extras.

Even with the older version of AACS was broken, there were other copy protection things going on, including BD+.
You can get access to the extras, it just may not be as simple to identify what they are. You can even play the decrypted disc files directly in PowerDVD 17 to get full UHD menus.
smashey

Post by smashey »

Woodstock wrote: And, until they release code and others can do it, too, there is no proof of anything.
Four decrypted discs is pretty close to proof that somebody has something. Whether it is a crack or something else I don't know.

Terminal are scene (and I suspect Throne are renamed as Terminal) so don't expect them to release code or explanation of how they are doing it. Scene releases are not intended for public distribution... they leak out but that's not the intent.
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

ccutrer wrote:
Woodstock wrote:So, if they've been decrypted and are no longer on optical media, why would you need MakeMKV to read them?
Because I want to make an MKV file, instead of having raw transport streams? And have that file include chapters, that are not part of the TS, but stored elsewhere in the disc structure. I don't know if any of these title include seamless branching, but that's another thing not easily reconstructed if you can't read the full bluray structure.
Learn how to use mkvtoolnix.

Since MakeMKV cannot decrypt UHD at the moment, makes no sense to add support for decrypted UHD files. It only adds more user confusion (people will start complaining why MakeMKV cannot read their UHD discs).
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

trumpet205 wrote:
ccutrer wrote:
Woodstock wrote:So, if they've been decrypted and are no longer on optical media, why would you need MakeMKV to read them?
Because I want to make an MKV file, instead of having raw transport streams? And have that file include chapters, that are not part of the TS, but stored elsewhere in the disc structure. I don't know if any of these title include seamless branching, but that's another thing not easily reconstructed if you can't read the full bluray structure.
Learn how to use mkvtoolnix.

Since MakeMKV cannot decrypt UHD at the moment, makes no sense to add support for decrypted UHD files. It only adds more user confusion (people will start complaining why MakeMKV cannot read their UHD discs).
I do use mkvtoolnix all the time. I'm simply pointing out that MakeMKV makes the process much simpler. As an aside, how can I get chapters out of a raw blu-ray (or UHD) disc image with just mkvtoolnix?

And, finally, I disagree that adding support for UHD structure without being able to decrypt UHD discs will add more user confusion. Ideally it should end up being the same error message either way: "Encrypted UHD Discs are not supported". Right now I believe it just says "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted. Failed to open disc", without even acknowledging it's not a regular bluray. Beginning to build support for UHD structure now means there can be less of a delay later if/when AACS 2.0 becomes available.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does the decrypted ISO file still have an AACS directory on it? I remember Mike saying that, if there is no AACS directory, MakeMKV assumes that the disk is NOT encrypted. So, if the crack is "all it's cracked up to be", ...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

Woodstock wrote:Does the decrypted ISO file still have an AACS directory on it? I remember Mike saying that, if there is no AACS directory, MakeMKV assumes that the disk is NOT encrypted. So, if the crack is "all it's cracked up to be", ...
No, there is no AACS directory in the leaked UHD disc that I've seen. (And it's not an ISO, it's just all the files that were on the disc).
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

ccutrer wrote:As an aside, how can I get chapters out of a raw blu-ray (or UHD) disc image with just mkvtoolnix?
Add corresponding .mpls (playlist) instead of .ts when you use the GUI. You'll get the chapter information that way (also takes care of seamless branching).
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

ccutrer wrote:
trumpet205 wrote:
I do use mkvtoolnix all the time. I'm simply pointing out that MakeMKV makes the process much simpler. As an aside, how can I get chapters out of a raw blu-ray (or UHD) disc image with just mkvtoolnix?

And, finally, I disagree that adding support for UHD structure without being able to decrypt UHD discs will add more user confusion. Ideally it should end up being the same error message either way: "Encrypted UHD Discs are not supported". Right now I believe it just says "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted. Failed to open disc", without even acknowledging it's not a regular bluray. Beginning to build support for UHD structure now means there can be less of a delay later if/when AACS 2.0 becomes available.
Sorry, trumpet205 is correct, having the ability to wrap a 4k file into an .mkv without being able to de-encrypt it will create massive confusion. Unlike mkvtoolnix, which requires the disc or file to be de-encrypted first, MakeMKV is a two-part program; a de-encrypter and a .mkv file creator. Though I use AnyDVD to de-encrypt (my personal preference), I'm going to assume that the majority of MakeMKV users rely on MakeMKV to perform this function. Therefore, if as you request it to perform the latter function (.mkv file creation) but not the former (de-encryption), even if the program displays a message that the disc/file cannot be opened, I can guarantee the forum and Mike's email will be flooded with messages from users that they tried to rip the 4k disc but it wouldn't work. There are a number of users new to MakeMKV and many who have been using it for years who to this day ask very basic questions about backing up, not understanding error messages, no FUT messages, etc. Simply read the forum posts carefully and you'll see what I mean.

I guess Mike could release a version of MakeMKV that does not include de-encryption so your request could be met but I foresee that being just as problematic because, as above, most users will expect it to work like standard MakeMKV and question why the disc couldn't be opened.

My continued recommendation is for patience, both for release of information of details of the crack and for MakeMKV to have a solution.
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

yorgo wrote:
ccutrer wrote:
trumpet205 wrote:

Sorry, trumpet205 is correct, having the ability to wrap a 4k file into an .mkv without being able to de-encrypt it will create massive confusion. Unlike mkvtoolnix, which requires the disc or file to be de-encrypted first, MakeMKV is a two-part program; a de-encrypter and a .mkv file creator. Though I use AnyDVD to de-encrypt (my personal preference), I'm going to assume that the majority of MakeMKV users rely on MakeMKV to perform this function. Therefore, if as you request it to perform the latter function (.mkv file creation) but not the former (de-encryption), even if the program displays a message that the disc/file cannot be opened, I can guarantee the forum and Mike's email will be flooded with messages from users that they tried to rip the 4k disc but it wouldn't work. There are a number of users new to MakeMKV and many who have been using it for years who to this day ask very basic questions about backing up, not understanding error messages, no FUT messages, etc. Simply read the forum posts carefully and you'll see what I mean.

I guess Mike could release a version of MakeMKV that does not include de-encryption so your request could be met but I foresee that being just as problematic because, as above, most users will expect it to work like standard MakeMKV and question why the disc couldn't be opened.

My continued recommendation is for patience, both for release of information of details of the crack and for MakeMKV to have a solution.
This makes no sense to me. I put a UHD disc in my computer this morning as I wrote that post. I get a less than helpful error message that says it can't open the disc. I'm not suggesting that be changed (or slightly change the wording to say "Encrypted UHD Discs are not supported"). But if presented with a disc (or filesystem) that is in UHD format (say I burned some footage from a 4k drone to a BD-66 in proper UHD format; or one of the few cracked discs floating around), it properly opens the disc. I don't see how getting an error message is any more confusing than getting an error message. Don't even bother putting it in an official changelog if you're worried that people will say "but the release notes said it supports UHD now!". Most software begins to build major features and include fetal forms of it in releases leading up to the actual release that it becomes available.
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

trumpet205 wrote:
ccutrer wrote:As an aside, how can I get chapters out of a raw blu-ray (or UHD) disc image with just mkvtoolnix?
Add corresponding .mpls (playlist) instead of .ts when you use the GUI. You'll get the chapter information that way (also takes care of seamless branching).
Oh nice, I didn't even think of trying to feed it the MPLS. Thanks!
Kalecgos

Post by Kalecgos »

ccutrer wrote:You can even play the decrypted disc files directly in PowerDVD 17 to get full UHD menus.
I updated to PowerDVD 17 Ultra to try this (was using PowerDVD 16 Ultra before) and mine wont open UHD folders. I can open "normal" (1080p) folders with menus just fine but I tried 2 different UHD folders and the screen would just stay blank and the menu wouldnt show.
How does it work for you?
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

Kalecgos wrote:
ccutrer wrote:You can even play the decrypted disc files directly in PowerDVD 17 to get full UHD menus.
I updated to PowerDVD 17 Ultra to try this (was using PowerDVD 16 Ultra before) and mine wont open UHD folders. I can open "normal" (1080p) folders with menus just fine but I tried 2 different UHD folders and the screen would just stay blank and the menu wouldnt show.
How does it work for you?
It just works for me. You can't just copy data off the disc (which I'm assuming you know if you can do normal bluray folders). My system passes all of the requirements for PDVD 17 to play UHD except for HDCP 2.0 and a UHD certified drive (though it can see the data on a UHD disc, it just can't access the AACS 2.0 portions).
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Nice to see this thread. I had started a thread on AACS 2.0. Hadn't seen this one. Any more update on this? I picked up the Pioneer BDR-211BLK, and was hoping to at least rip movies so I don't have to spend big money on an upgrade for the PC just yet. I'm patient, but eager. Love the idea of going full 4K in the home theatre.
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

If it provides any motivation, I was just getting ready to buy DVDFab. They aren't going to crack AACS 2.0. So, I have no plans to purchase it now. If you guys can get it cracked, I'll definitely buy MakeMKV. I'd rather purchase your program than to have to spend upwards of $650 on an upgrade for playback of UHD only. 8)
goaliebob99

Post by goaliebob99 »

ccutrer wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Does the decrypted ISO file still have an AACS directory on it? I remember Mike saying that, if there is no AACS directory, MakeMKV assumes that the disk is NOT encrypted. So, if the crack is "all it's cracked up to be", ...
No, there is no AACS directory in the leaked UHD disc that I've seen. (And it's not an ISO, it's just all the files that were on the disc).
All of my UHD disks have AACS directories so I wondering what they are doing to remove them and get around the encryption.