UHD Help

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mrdamour

UHD Help

Post by mrdamour »

Hello All

I've been a happy MakeMKV supporter (and user) for years now and I'm just getting into UHD rips. I'm running into a problem with my first UHD purchase and I was hoping to reach out to all the fine folks here on the forum for a bit of help.

First a bit about the setup.

MakeMKV 1.10.10 running on Mac with High Sierra
ASUS BW-16D1X-U (hoping this isn't the hang up here as the forum mentioned ASUS BW-16--- as good UHD friendly drives)

I've looked through the threads. Downloaded the latest hashed keys at the forum link. Unzipped and added the file to my MakeMKV directory (see uploaded attachment).

Do I need to put the hashed keys in a folder? My first title (Baywatch) shows up on the list so I was hoping it would grab the key for it but my ASUS just tries to read the disc and then spits it out.

Is there a visual feedback element that tells if MakeMKV is reading the keys properly? I'm a bit stuck and would appreciate an assist across the finish line.

Thanks so much for this awesome community and your help.

Marc
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 5.15.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 5.15.35 PM.png (247.35 KiB) Viewed 13409 times
tvguy7

Re: UHD Help

Post by tvguy7 »

The drive is the problem. The external drive will not work. You need the Asus BW-16D1HT. I've successfully ripped several UHD discs with that drive. There was an erroneous post that any of the BW-16D models would work but that is not the case.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

ASUS BW-16D1X-U (hoping this isn't the hang up here as the forum mentioned ASUS BW-16--- as good UHD friendly drives)
The BW-16DX1X-U is NOT part of the BW-16D1HT family, despite its labeling. You would think it was (I certainly did), but it is a different drive inside that case, and the drive inside is NOT BDXL capable.

I gave mine to a friend who has no intention of doing UHD stuff (this week, at least!), because it works well on BDs, but it is not going to work for UHD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mrdamour

Post by mrdamour »

So if I'm on a Mac laptop (essentially need something external) do I have any options for UHD Friendly drives? Do they make generic external enclosures for those internal drives that anyone knows of?

Thanks.
mrdamour

Post by mrdamour »

Looks like OWC has one. I'll try that with the Asus BW-16D1HT. Many thanks again to those who responded to my post.
cojms1

Post by cojms1 »

I've been using the LG BE16NU50 which is external. It's quite a chunky unit but it seems to do the job well.
eng050599

Post by eng050599 »

cojms1 wrote:I've been using the LG BE16NU50 which is external. It's quite a chunky unit but it seems to do the job well.
I managed to snag this model of drive fom Newegg.ca, and it's been working pretty much flawlessly. Out of all my UHD discs, only three have been problematic.

Unfortunately, this drive appears to be sold out almost everywhere at the moment. BestBuy is the only retailer that seems to have it in stock, as Newegg, Amazon, and even eBay are showing it as out of stock or flat out unavailable.