What are your playback setups?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jtscribe

What are your playback setups?

Post by jtscribe »

I'm having fairly good success using MakeMKV and my Asus drive to GET UHD MKVs. The problem, then, is getting them to play back. I have a Roku Ultra, but it and Plex seem to struggle with streaming, even over a wired Gigabit network. I'm guessing that Plex is more the issue than the Roku, since the Roku is 4K capable on other sources.

Just curious to know how everyone is actually watching and enjoying the stuff! :)
kwyjibo

Re: What are your playback setups?

Post by kwyjibo »

Currently using Plex to host the raw dumps from MakeMKV.
Since Plex can't transcode UHD very well yet (and my hardware isn't the best), I then use Plex's DLNA server to stream it to my LG TV using the default webOS app. Or copy to external hard drive and use the webOS app.

The LG webOS video player can not use subtitles for whatever reason, so if I want subtitles of any kind, I extract them to *.srt file, drop in the same Plex Server directory for the movie. I then use a webOS app called XPlay, a 3rd party Plex app, to direct play the movie from the server. My hearing and word recognition isn't the best, so I like subtitles, using this method most often.

I read somewhere the Nvidia Shield might be able to do what I'm looking for, but don't really want to spend more money without knowing for sure. Hoping some others reply with their setups.
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

I'm using Plex with a Mac Mini Server, and then either using my Nvidia Shield, or Apple TV 4K as clients. The advantage of the Shield is it can pass through the HD audio to my sound system, and supports PGS subtitles, but I think the picture quality on the Apple TV 4K is better. Haven't had any issues with the Shield playing back 4K content. If you have issues, could be worth posting over at Plex, where someone could help you out :)
Deraga

Post by Deraga »

I am using a HTPC Windows 10 for playback and a ubuntu nas to host my files.

MSI H110M Motherboard
8GB Ram (I believe)
Skyelake I5 6500 Quad Core CPU
GTX 960 4GB Video card
1 HDMI to TV for 4k & HDR
DP to HDMI cable to sound system
Kodi to play blu ray and dvd
MPC-BE for UHD blu rays
Yatse for the remote

Plex is used for outside the house viewing

Small amount of gaming too.
rcork

Post by rcork »

Its not Plex that's the problem, it's the Roku Ultra. I have one and it would always take forever to start playing and buffer randomly. Its also connected via gigabit ethernet so i knew the network wasn't the issue. I went out and bought the NVidia Shield and it works flawlessly. Instantly starts playing the files, fully supports HDR and no problems with buffering.

My advice would be to ditch the Roku Ultra. Roku still refuses to fix the issue they have with out of sync audio when playing DTS. Shield is rock solid and support much more codecs that Direct Play such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos.
Ph886

Post by Ph886 »

ATV4K with Infuse (movies\tv are loaded to a NAS).
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Zidoo X9S

Full HDR10 with Atmos/DTS:X Passthrough

I also have the AppleTV 4K it Does stream fine but no Atmos/DTS:X is a deal breaker for me!
Unicron99

Post by Unicron99 »

HTPC:

Intel Core i7-7820X Processor
ASRock - X299 Extreme4 ATX LGA2066 Motherboard w/Optical Out and DTS Interactive
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini
Win 10+MPC-HC+LAV Filters+MadVR
LG55UH7700
Logitech Z-5500
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Mpcbe, rx470 card, 10 year old pc (lol). Madvr set up a certain way. Lav audio filter but Lav video filter is blocked. Google my name if you want details of my setup in my videos. Take too long to explain in here.
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

I’m using a Vero4k media player for all of my media. Sweet unit.
jtscribe

Post by jtscribe »

rcork wrote:Its not Plex that's the problem, it's the Roku Ultra. I have one and it would always take forever to start playing and buffer randomly. Its also connected via gigabit ethernet so i knew the network wasn't the issue. I went out and bought the NVidia Shield and it works flawlessly. Instantly starts playing the files, fully supports HDR and no problems with buffering.

My advice would be to ditch the Roku Ultra. Roku still refuses to fix the issue they have with out of sync audio when playing DTS. Shield is rock solid and support much more codecs that Direct Play such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos.
I've been eyeing one for a while now. It's definitely on my list to get next time I get a few Amazon gift cards. ;)
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

I think I should point out that the Shield doesn't decode TrueHD/Atmos or DTS-HD, it only passes them through to your AVR if you have one. It can only decode non HD codecs (DTS/AC3/EAC3/etc.). Infuse on the Apple TV 4K is pretty good, as it will decode the HD audio, and output it as PCM for you.
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

The Vero4k passes through all codecs as well as decode to pcm. For those wondering.
~HaMMeR~

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

Zidoo X8 and X9S here - perfect UHD HDR playback with Atmos and DTS:X. Half the price of the Shield - no brainer really
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I guess my setup is really simple I just have your basic Acer Desktop I cannot really remember the model I bought it two years ago on amazon with tax refund.I mostly just have software that renders 4k into SDR because my computer is not up to the full specs that I would need to play full 4K movies outright.I am using MPC-BE the last version released and I've got VLC 3.0 as a backup if that cannot play my files.
I would like to invest in a better setup but first I have to decide what I want and what makes sense with my current setup.
I've heard some good suggestions here .Basically I will start looking later this year after I get my tax refund I think I end up using a computer about 4-5 years before upgrading to the newest version. :D