UHD rips error out part-way through

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
pimpinonline

UHD rips error out part-way through

Post by pimpinonline »

I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have successfully ripped a few UHD discs, but most of them fail at right around ~25GB (no, my HDD isn't full...). At first I thought it was a couple of bad discs, as I've read numerous posts about poorly manufactured discs, and the probability of the disc being bad. After a dozen or so different discs, and different movies, I can't help but to think something else is going on here. Every disc fails around the same point (about 25GB). It would be very odd that each of these discs all have manufacturing issues at the same place on the disc.

I am using an ASUS BW-16D1HT in an external USB 3.0 enclosure. I have tried ripping discs directly using a SATA3 port on my motherboard, and the same things happens. I don't think it's the fact I have my drive in an enclosure.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this please?
Last edited by pimpinonline on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodstock

Re: Most UHD rips error out around ~25GB

Post by Woodstock »

25GB is the transition point between "layer 1" and "layer 2" on a Bluray disk, including the BDXL format used for UHD. It is where the laser needs to refocus to read the next layer of data. This transition point would also occur on most BDs that exceed 25GB for their main feature.

Is it JUST UHD disks that are failing?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pimpinonline

Post by pimpinonline »

That makes perfect sense. Some discs error out before 25GB, some shortly thereafter. It is only happening with UHD discs, yes. Standard Blu-ray discs rip without issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In or out of the enclosure should not matter - this is internal to the drive itself.

I do have to correct one thing... A UHD disk can have 33GB/layer, whereas a regular BD is 25GB/layer. This is probably why a lot of older "BDXL" drives aren't "UHD-capable", because they're expecting disks to be recorded at the 25GB/layer rate.
pimpinonline

Post by pimpinonline »

So are you saying that my drive isn't able to read certain types of discs, or is there something I can do to resolve this issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What is the EXACT error message you're getting from debug logging (assuming you have that turned on; FAQ in my signature explains how to do it) ?

The BW-16D1HT is one of the UHD "friendly" drives, depending upon the firmware. But, if the firmware isn't correct, it would generally reject the disk completely, rather than partially ripping it. And you've said "most" UHDs, not "all" UHDs, so it must be working for some.
pimpinonline

Post by pimpinonline »

Interestingly enough, it seems my drive (and maybe others') is very picky. I had cleaned discs previously (mild soap and water), and it made no difference. I just tried cleaning the discs with a very mild (organic) TV screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth. After doing that, the discs that were previously failing are all ripping just fine now.

I had read a number of threads on here about the discs and needing to be perfectly clean - even discs that look clean might not be. So I decided to try it again, and presto!

I hope this helps someone else, who might be having a similar issue.
pimpinonline

Re: UHD rips error out part-way through

Post by pimpinonline »

I am still having this issue more often than not. Sometimes cleaning the disc does the trick, and other times it doesn't seem like anything will work. I find it very hard to believe that all of these discs have a defect or are dirty at the same point in the disc.

Am I the only one having this issue? Is it my drive? How can I troubleshoot my issue more effectively?

Regular Blu-ray discs work flawlessly.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

I find it very hard to believe that all of these discs have a defect or are dirty at the same point in the disc.
Why is it hard to believe that at the layer switch the read starts failing? I've gotten into the habit to clean every new disc before attempting to rip. I've only run into one disc that I continues to fail at the layer switch.

I found the best way to clean is with eyeglass cleaning wipes.
pimpinonline

Post by pimpinonline »

bmillham wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:28 am
Why is it hard to believe that at the layer switch the read starts failing? I've gotten into the habit to clean every new disc before attempting to rip. I've only run into one disc that I continues to fail at the layer switch.

I found the best way to clean is with eyeglass cleaning wipes.
I get your point, thanks. I guess I would expect the transition to be less fragile, but I guess you're telling me that it is fragile. Thanks for the suggestion on the cleaning solution, I'll give it a try.