UHD Ripping failing all of a sudden...

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Liersi

Re: UHD Ripping failing all of a sudden...

Post by Liersi »

Hey guys, I thought I'd add my question to this thread rather than create another. It's about the same issue, errors ripping UHDs.

First off, thank you everyone in this thread. You saved me a lot of headaches with this "but it's new! CLEAN THE DISC ANWAY!" routine. It's absolutely true. As is what jonghotti wrote about fickle hardware. Which brings me to my question: when MakeMKV pops up an error (hash check error or read error) but proceeds to complete the backup, what am I looking at? A bit perfect rip or one with an error in it? Asking in general here as it has me confused. Usually it aborts and doesn't complete on error.

Thankful for any insight.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Liersi wrote:Hey guys, I thought I'd add my question to this thread rather than create another. It's about the same issue, errors ripping UHDs.

First off, thank you everyone in this thread. You saved me a lot of headaches with this "but it's new! CLEAN THE DISC ANWAY!" routine. It's absolutely true. As is what jonghotti wrote about fickle hardware. Which brings me to my question: when MakeMKV pops up an error (hash check error or read error) but proceeds to complete the backup, what am I looking at? A bit perfect rip or one with an error in it? Asking in general here as it has me confused. Usually it aborts and doesn't complete on error.

Thankful for any insight.
Hash check I definitely redo it, after cleaning the disc again :-)
Read errors never seem to come in singles for me, it’ll be like 20
of them followed by an abort.

My situation gets a little more complicated in that I’m always changing out hardware as I’ve got at least 20 drives to test. And until I’ve got the entire collection backed up it would be silly to waste that time using the same disc to test with. Would reduce a variable sure.

Once you get used to the if it errors clean it routine life gets easier. I built up a new PC just for making MakeMKV backups and am doing the launch two MakeMKV instances using two optical drives to two hard drives it works like a fucking charm!!! I am so loving this program right now!
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

jonghotti wrote: Hash check I definitely redo it, after cleaning the disc again :-)
Thanks for the response.

The read error, right? That's what has me confused. I've never seen that and haven't reproduced it yet with a log. It's usually as you say, but this time it mentioned ONE, and completed fine. The hash check I figured like you and redid it right away. I'll see what I can make of the backup, otherwise clean again and rerun. This is turning out to be more of a fickle beast than I expected.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Liersi wrote:
jonghotti wrote: Hash check I definitely redo it, after cleaning the disc again :-)
Thanks for the response.

The read error, right? That's what has me confused. I've never seen that and haven't reproduced it yet with a log. It's usually as you say, but this time it mentioned ONE, and completed fine. The hash check I figured like you and redid it right away. I'll see what I can make of the backup, otherwise clean again and rerun. This is turning out to be more of a fickle beast than I expected.
If by that you mean rip roaring pain in the ass at times, I hear you. When things work, they work great! When they don't, it's like one long continuous fuckup :)
At least in my experience.....
spaded21

Post by spaded21 »

Any other tips for cleaning discs or getting them to read? I have tried cleaning my drive with one of those discs with the little brushes on it and applying rubbing alcohol to the problem discs and buffing them clean with a fresh microfiber towel, but I have still have 3 new UHDs that I can't rip. Most blu-rays and UHDs rip fine so I don't think it's the drive.
rivey

Post by rivey »

spaded21 wrote:Any other tips for cleaning discs or getting them to read? I have tried cleaning my drive with one of those discs with the little brushes on it and applying rubbing alcohol to the problem discs and buffing them clean with a fresh microfiber towel, but I have still have 3 new UHDs that I can't rip. Most blu-rays and UHDs rip fine so I don't think it's the drive.
What are the titles of the three discs you are having problems with. Can you post copies of the logs for those three discs?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

spaded21 wrote:Any other tips for cleaning discs or getting them to read? I have tried cleaning my drive with one of those discs with the little brushes on it and applying rubbing alcohol to the problem discs and buffing them clean with a fresh microfiber towel, but I have still have 3 new UHDs that I can't rip. Most blu-rays and UHDs rip fine so I don't think it's the drive.
Lemme guess which ones:

1. Thor:Ragnarok
2. The Revenant
3. Planet Earth II, disc 2

Oh wait, those are my top 3 pains in the asses.

I've never cleaned a drive other than blowing it with compressed air. For discs I have a pump bottle of LCD screen cleaner and a stack of microfiber towels.

Having multiple optical drives to use is also key.
cameron2

Post by cameron2 »

I've had the same problem with 2 copies of Planet Earth II disc 2 :(
eddified

Post by eddified »

cameron2 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 pm
I've had the same problem with 2 copies of Planet Earth II disc 2 :(
I had errors reading Planet Earth II Disc 2, UHD. I've heard there is a backup method, does that work to get the same result - (an .mkv file)?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Another user who has gone through two copies of Planet Earth II disc 2 trying to find one that would rip lol. What is it about this disc?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829