Warning Message - "consider upgrading your hard drive'

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
audioguy

Warning Message - "consider upgrading your hard drive'

Post by audioguy »

I get this message a lot:

"Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

I have 500gb of flash storage (no hard drive) and 375gb of it is available on a 1 year old iMac

So what does this actually mean??
Woodstock

Re: Warning Message - "consider upgrading your hard drive'

Post by Woodstock »

It means that MakeMKV can pull data off your optical disks at a faster speed than your system will allow it to write.

It's harmless. In fact, you might consider it to be a bit of gloating.... A lot of programs can't read optical disks that fast.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I get that when the target is an ancient and thus slow sata internal drive and when i've ripped directly to usb 3.0 thumb drive
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
S.p.e.c.t.r.e.

Post by S.p.e.c.t.r.e. »

I'm getting this message on a PC with an WD NVMe SDD. Thought maybe to many things were happening on the nvme even though the nvme was only being pushed to only 50% of it's speed. (I've benchmarked it to 2800MB/s sequential write so 50% would be 1400MB/s) so Yeah, I don't think my drive is reading faster than this. My system has 16gb of ram, so there's plenty of cache.

To test, I also put in a crucial bx100 drive, and only rip to this, no other activity.The sequential wrete of the drive is 370MB/s so yeah, that's roughly 10 times what the LG WH16NS40drive (oem 1.04) can output.

So the question is, is this a glitch in the program? Lack of cache in the program?
I have the read buffer set to 1024 in the IO menu.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Each circumstance can be unique. I was getting it on rips over the weekend; noticed the cable between two network switches was showing 10Mb/s connection instead of gigabit. Swapped cables, and THREE MakeMKV simultaneous streams were no longer a problem, and a copy that I'd been doing at the same time jumped from 10Mb/s to 70-90Mb/s.

But you don't have a network involved, from your description.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

This message can also occur if you are trying to do too many OTHER things while mkv is working.
The division of labor (ie: processing power of your computer) can cause enough of a lag in mkv to where it gets snarky and gives you that message.
I've gotten several times and have noticed it will deliver the message 10 times and then stop nagging you.

Nothing really bad is happening, it just wants all your processing power.
jedman14

Post by jedman14 »

I am now getting this error writing my SATA SSD only when I am using the DVD drive on the machine with the SSD.

To explain, I use MakeMKV with two separate computers. One computer has the SSD that both computers write too. The computer with the SSD (computer A) gets this error and gets stuck at 256 MB (or where ever I set the buffer to) for often over an hour at which point it will go until the buffer is full again and pause for another long length of time. The other computer (computer B, writing to the SSD over the network) does not get this error. I have tested this with computer B actively writing, and completely shut down. The SSD is not getting heavily used by other programs (I checked using resource monitor). I tried this with MakeMKV running as administrator, and reinstalled MakeMKV with no change in what happens. Other programs on computer A are able to write to this disk and folder without any difficulty.

The only error in MakeMKV logs with MakeMKV logging debug messages is "Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

What would you recommend I try next?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I presume this is on a Windows 10 computer. Do you have a disk quota or something?

That message from MakeMKV is just informational. I see it all the time, but I make decrypted disc backups first then I load the backup and make .mkv files from the backup. It is during this second step that I see this message since I am limited by the speed of the drive I'm writing to.