Some UHD limited to 2.0x others 5x - 8x Cause?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
FingersDLP

Some UHD limited to 2.0x others 5x - 8x Cause?

Post by FingersDLP »

Sometimes when I put a UHD disk in it will grind a little louder and take a little longer to load the title. These then seem to be limited to 2.0 for read speed. Others that load without the grinding will read at a more normal 5x to 8x or so as expected. This is with ASUS BW-16D1HT. Is this behavior disk specific or is there something I can do when I try a disk that gives me the bump and grind routine while loading the title. Hope this makes sense. I am looking for a way to get these "grinders" to read at the normal higher read rate. They still work but at 2.0x take a lot longer.
1wayjonny

Re: Some UHD limited to 2.0x others 5x - 8x Cause?

Post by 1wayjonny »

From my knowledge about disc speed over time is that 16x is the max not guaranteed.

The reason for the 2x, 5x, 8x is that its in relation to where the data is physically located on the disc. Inner ring more work less physical space where as the outer ring has more physical space and the laser can relax a bit more.

Hope this helps, nothing is wrong with your setup and people are not ripping at 16x 100%.
FingersDLP

Post by FingersDLP »

This might be a non issue. I believe I had two drives that conflicted somehow. I switched Makemkv into single drive mode and it has behaved proper since then. Unless it crops up and I can duplicate I will consider it closed.
1wayjonny

Post by 1wayjonny »

Glad the help and hope your issue clears up.