Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
akelu

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by akelu »

dapope wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 am
For anyone with an LG CX, the new firmware update purportedly allows profile 7 files to be played in the internal player. I'm unable to test this myself for a few weeks since I'm staying away from home. Previously the LG CX could only play 8.1 files. Good news if true because, unlike 8.1, profile 7 is dual layer and I believe supports the 12 bit colour in FEL titles. It could also make it far easier to play DV files if we can just rip them (albiet there still needs to be an audio conversion) rather than also having to do the Yosupe 8.1.bat conversion.
That's so awesome. I just started researching this because of the CX fixed dolby vision raised blacks.

I have just one question. I know that the LG Webos Plex can't play lossless atmos on dolby vision remux, but is it possible to play lossy atmos from blu-ray remux? My understanding is that if a blu-ray contains a TrueHD atmos track, that it also contains a lossy version as a fall-back. Is that correct? And can the CX play that?
Because i have a soundbar(even though its a pretty good one), and i think i would sacrifice lossless atmos for lossy if i can get dolby vision.
Thanks
pete19

Post by pete19 »

dapope wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:45 am
7 theoretically allows for 12 bit colour with supported titles, while 8.1 does not. However you might find that profile 7 MEL (10 bit colour) works while profile 7 FEL (12 bit colour) does not. If neither works you might try 8.1. Outside of the 12 bit colour both 7 and 8.1 should present the same visually.
there is a difference visually. DV profile 8.1 is single layer, hence it is 10bit 420, while profile 7 FEL is dual layer resulting in a 12bit 422 signal. Profile 7 MEL is only ever 10bit 420 as well.

The difference between 10bit to 12 bit is negligible, because (a) you're eyes won't see it (most likely) and (b) because most current end consumer TVs are 10bit panels at best.

But the difference between 420 and 422 chroma subsampling is perceivable, THIS is the real deal. 420 is 1/4 color resolution while 422 is 1/2 color resolution (of original full color). You get DOUBLE the color resolution.

422 is what we want.

All pro signals and backups used to be 10bit 422 (until storage became much cheaper and compressed RAW formats came around).

Color resolution is more important than bit depth.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

dapope wrote:
For anyone with an LG CX, the new firmware update purportedly allows profile 7 files to be played in the internal player. I'm unable to test this myself for a few weeks since I'm staying away from home. Previously the LG CX could only play 8.1 files. Good news if true because, unlike 8.1, profile 7 is dual layer and I believe supports the 12 bit colour in FEL titles. It could also make it far easier to play DV files if we can just rip them (albiet there still needs to be an audio conversion) rather than also having to do the Yosupe 8.1.bat conversion.
Where have you seen/heard this? Willing to try it but always scared to update the firmware if it’s just as likely to break something else (‘if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it’ mindset :P).
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

pete19 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:39 am
dapope wrote:
7 theoretically allows for 12 bit colour with supported titles, while 8.1 does not. However you might find that profile 7 MEL (10 bit colour) works while profile 7 FEL (12 bit colour) does not. If neither works you might try 8.1. Outside of the 12 bit colour both 7 and 8.1 should present the same visually.
there is a difference visually. DV profile 8.1 is single layer, hence it is 10bit 420, while profile 7 FEL is dual layer resulting in a 12bit 422 signal. Profile 7 MEL is only ever 10bit 420 as well.

The difference between 10bit to 12 bit is negligible, because (a) you're eyes won't see it (most likely) and (b) because most current end consumer TVs are 10bit panels at best.

But the difference between 420 and 422 chroma subsampling is perceivable, THIS is the real deal. 420 is 1/4 color resolution while 422 is 1/2 color resolution (of original full color). You get DOUBLE the color resolution.

422 is what we want.

All pro signals and backups used to be 10bit 422 (until storage became much cheaper and compressed RAW formats came around).

so you are suggesting in theory that its better to go with profile 7? if i make single layer dolby vision movies? (its for a shield tv pro)
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
dapope

Post by dapope »

PlatypusW wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:57 am
dapope wrote:
Where have you seen/heard this? Willing to try it but always scared to update the firmware if it’s just as likely to break something else (‘if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it’ mindset :P).
AVS Forums. Sounds like the update is only in Korea for now, last time I think it took a day to release elsewhere but I think it's been two days now. Wait a week and read the AVS LG thread to monitor for deficiencies I suppose.
dapope

Post by dapope »

pete19 wrote:
dapope wrote:

422 is what we want.

Very interesting, I would like to know where you learnt this since the public Dolby vision paper doesn't really make mention of this at all. In fact, while it does mention FEL it doesn't actually describe what FEL means. But it only lists profile 7 as 1:1/4 (4:2:0.) and makes no mention of either 12 bit colour or 4:2:2.

Either way, through 12 bit colour (theorized to make a small improvement to gradients when downscaling to 10 bit panel) or higher colour resolution, FEL profile 7 is slightly superior to 8.1.
Last edited by dapope on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

pete19 wrote:
while profile 7 FEL is dual layer resulting in a 12bit 422 signal.
Wow. Hold on :D Looks like you overtheorize a little
p7FEL is 420 as well as p7MEL, or p5, or almost any other video (except some 422 HD sattelite streams)
FEL is more bitdepth only, it doesn't add color resolution
p7FEL 422 is upsampled from 420 by player . Same for regular 420 HDR or SDR
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Here's a good read again on FEL v MEL for anyone interested: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119. I have also never heard of FEL automatically being 422, would like a source for that if it's true.

For those asking what the "best" profile is when it comes to creating your remuxes, the simple answer is if your device can play it, then 7 because that's what the original profile on the disc is. Theoretically, if you're converting from 7MEL to single layer 8, it should be the same, because the EL contains no extra picture data. But if you're going from 7FEL to single layer 8, then you're literally discarding additional data that's used to recreate the original image. This is all a bit moot at this point though since no streaming-only devices today can properly play FEL titles. These devices simply don't have the capability to instantiate the two simultaneous HEVC decoders that's needed for FEL playback. This includes the Shield Pro, where even though it's able to playback FEL, it's not doing it properly.

With all that said, don't do needless conversions for the sake of obtaining a "better" profile. Do conversions only if your device is not capable of playing something without it. E.g. for the shield, just take what makemkv 1.15.4 gives you, it's that simple.
Last edited by shawnc22 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

dapope wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 pm

AVS Forums. Sounds like the update is only in Korea for now, last time I think it took a day to release elsewhere but I think it's been two days now. Wait a week and read the AVS LG thread to monitor for deficiencies I suppose.
Thanks, been reading around. Supposedly this also fixes the ‘raised black’ issue so if that’s true I’m very keen to try it out :D

If it can also play DL mp4, that will be amazing too. Will wait it out a bit before installing though - but as soon as I do I’ll give the test files another go 8)
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:19 pm
Here's a good read again on FEL v MEL for anyone interested: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119. I have also never heard of FEL automatically being 422, would like a source for that if it's true.

For those asking what the "best" profile is when it comes to creating your remuxes, the simple answer is if your device can play it, then 7 because that's what the original profile on the disc is. Theoretically, if you're converting from 7MEL to single layer 8, it should be the same, because the EL contains no extra picture data. But if you're going from 7FEL to single layer 8, then you're literally discarding additional data that's used to recreate the original image. This is all a bit moot at this point though since no streaming-only devices today can properly play FEL titles. These devices simply don't have the capability to instantiate the two simultaneous HEVC decoders that's needed for FEL playback. This includes the Shield Pro, where even though it's able to playback FEL, it's not doing it properly.

With all that said, don't need do needless conversions for the sake of obtaining a "better" profile. Do conversions only if your device is not capable of playing something without it. E.g. for the shield, just take what makemkv 1.15.4 gives you, it's that simple.
I did a quick read on that link.
So in both cases the Enhanced layer of the disc will create a 12 bit picture.
But if it's a FEL it should make sure to uplift the 1000nits base layer to a a 4000nits final 12bit picture.
Where as MEL (profile 5 or 8) will only create a 12bit picture but not 4000 nits.

However they also mention newer movies from 2019 which already have a base layer being 4000nits..
That would mean that MEL should be sufficient right?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

MastaG wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:53 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:19 pm

With all that said, don't need do needless conversions for the sake of obtaining a "better" profile. Do conversions only if your device is not capable of playing something without it. E.g. for the shield, just take what makemkv 1.15.4 gives you, it's that simple.
I did a quick read on that link.
So in both cases the Enhanced layer of the disc will create a 12 bit picture.
But if it's a FEL it should make sure to uplift the 1000nits base layer to a a 4000nits final 12bit picture.
Where as MEL (profile 5 or 8) will only create a 12bit picture but not 4000 nits.

However they also mention newer movies from 2019 which already have a base layer being 4000nits..
That would mean that MEL should be sufficient right?
Sort of, you cannot recreate a 12bit picture with MEL. 12bit in the sense of MEL is merely a 10bit picture padded to 12bit. But like you said, if the base layer was mastered at 4000nits, the difference vs FEL should not be that great in the current generation of commercial TVs.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

Question regarding the Sony X700 and profile 7 playback from file.

I've seen conflicting posts on here so I just wanted to verify. Does the X700 play back profile 7 from BDMV or mt2s correctly (same as it would from a disc) or not?

Thanks,

>g.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

glc650 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:17 pm
I've seen conflicting posts on here so I just wanted to verify. Does the X700 play back profile 7 from BDMV or mt2s correctly (same as it would from a disc) or not?
yes, same quality as the disc.

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 am
quick question i wanna ask
what profiles should we use or does this depend on the situtation
like whats the diffrence between profile 7 and profile 8.1?
DL FEL P7 (12bits) > DL MEL P7 (10bits) = SL P8 P5 (10bits)
so if you can play DL FEL P7, use that.
dotnotbot

Post by dotnotbot »

I'm assuming X700 has Cinavia and there is no way around it?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

dotnotbot wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:48 pm
I'm assuming X700 has Cinavia and there is no way around it?
nop, no cinavia via USB