Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
aboulfad

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by aboulfad »

MastaG wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:03 pm
Since the Oppo UDP-203 (with some russian firmware?) seems to be the only player being able to stream full BD remuxes (FEL with their full 4000nits...) over the network.
I'd like to know the names of the clones.. as the player costs over 1000 euros here..

EDIT: Already found it thanks.
I am able to play Black Panther (FEL) BDMV in an AVCHD folder over network (Mac/Linux/SMB) using my stock 203 player, no modifications. Not sure if the 203 JB provides an edge there - maybe it allows to play iso/ts ? See few pages back.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

AndreasT wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm
agneva wrote:that's a bit unfair, the CX9 can neither dvhe.07.06 nor DTS :roll: :oops:
With the 3.21.9 fw CX can play mp4 with dvhe.07.06 MEL single track dual layer, at least with the latest Plex for webos. The dual track files I tested with doesn’t play (continuous buffering). The STDL with profile 7 an FEL either just buffer, or playback starts but the picture is very very dark, like instead of increased brightness it’s inverted and it’s dark instead.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Hi. When you said dual track files doesn't play, did you mean they didn't play with plex? I heard that internal player now plays DTDL files in mp4 with the latest FW. Could you please check whether its true?
Wish LG would release their new update here :(
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

baohen1510 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:32 am
What wrong ? Pls help me
F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION>python-3.7.6.amd64\python.exe src\MKV_patcher.py

Please, drag and drop here the MKV file and press ENTER:
G:\DV.mkv

Please choose the profile to assign (7 or 8):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION\python-3.7.6.amd64\lib\site-packages\bitstring.py", line 833, in _initialise
init_without_length_or_offset[k](self, v)
KeyError: 'uint'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "src\MKV_patcher.py", line 243, in <module>
patched_data = mkv_patcher.inject_dolby_vision(dolby_vision_data)
File "src\MKV_patcher.py", line 217, in inject_dolby_vision
self.init_elements()
File "src\MKV_patcher.py", line 159, in init_elements
el_property["size"] = self.read_variable_size_int()
File "src\MKV_patcher.py", line 138, in read_variable_size_int
parsedValue = BitArray(uint=(self.mkv_data[pos:pos + 8] & (~self.get_len_mark(length))).uint,length=length)
File "src\MKV_patcher.py", line 127, in get_len_mark
return BitArray(uint=1 << (8 - int(length / 8)),length=8)
File "F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION\python-3.7.6.amd64\lib\site-packages\bitstring.py", line 3059, in __new__
y = Bits.__new__(BitArray, auto, length, offset, **kwargs)
File "F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION\python-3.7.6.amd64\lib\site-packages\bitstring.py", line 812, in __new__
x._initialise(auto, length, offset, **kwargs)
File "F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION\python-3.7.6.amd64\lib\site-packages\bitstring.py", line 838, in _initialise
init_with_length_only[k](self, v, length)
File "F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION\python-3.7.6.amd64\lib\site-packages\bitstring.py", line 1388, in _setuint
raise CreationError(msg, uint, length, (1 << length) - 1)
bitstring.CreationError: 256 is too large an unsigned integer for a bitstring of length 8. The allowed range is [0, 255].

F:\DOLBYVISION\MAKEMKVDOLBYVISION>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
Has anybody had this error when trying to patch a file, this is a quota from an old post but the error is the same, movie that has just thrown this is Back to the Future, any ideas?
First time I’ve ever had one fail.
Saltow97

Post by Saltow97 »

Hey does anyone know if it is possible to play Fel DV by usb on an lg uh850 2016 model. I tried mp4muxer, yusesope's tools and mkvmaker to rip Fel Dv and they all trigger Dv signel but play in green so is there any way to fix this issue. Please help :roll:
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

magnetoeric wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm
AndreasT wrote:
agneva wrote:that's a bit unfair, the CX9 can neither dvhe.07.06 nor DTS :roll: :oops:
With the 3.21.9 fw CX can play mp4 with dvhe.07.06 MEL single track dual layer, at least with the latest Plex for webos. The dual track files I tested with doesn’t play (continuous buffering). The STDL with profile 7 an FEL either just buffer, or playback starts but the picture is very very dark, like instead of increased brightness it’s inverted and it’s dark instead.

Hi. When you said dual track files doesn't play, did you mean they didn't play with plex? I heard that internal player now plays DTDL files in mp4 with the latest FW. Could you please check whether its true?
Method to create test files
I use the yusesope tool v0.0.4_BETA as mentioned here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282 .

In my case I used my Top Gun UHD disc as the source. It is a FEL release as listed in this post https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448.

I ignored the audio track for these tests. It does not seem to make a difference since I used the process below for the complete movie with audio and its the same
playback results.

1. DTDL, profile 7.6, FEL
src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i 00003.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:0 -c copy BL_FEL.hevc
src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i 00003.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:1 -c copy EL_RPU_FEL.hevc
mp4muxer.exe -i BL_FEL.hevc -i EL_FEL.hevc --dv-profile 7 -o dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4

2. STDL, profile 7.6, FEL
Create an mkv using makemkv 1.15.14.
src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i t00.mkv -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:0 -c copy BL_EL_RPU_FEL.hevc
mp4muxer.exe -i BL_EL_RPU_FEL.hevc --dv-profile 7 -o stdl_dv7_fel.mp4

3. STDL, profile 7.6, MEL
v0.0.4_BETA\MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat, provide BL_FEL.hevc and EL_RPU_FEL.hevc from step 1.
mp4muxer.exe -i BL_EL_RPU.hevc --dv-profile 7 -o stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

4. DTDL, profile 7.6, MEL
v0.0.4_BETA\DEMUX.bat, provide BL_EL_RPU.hevc from 3.
mp4muxer.exe -i BL.hevc -i EL_RPU.hevc --dv-profile 7 -o dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

Here are my tests

TV FW - v3.21.9
Plex for webOS - v5.6.1 (Platform v5.2.0)
Plex Media Server - v1.21.1

Plex for webOS (Preview)/Plex for webOS (Old)

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4
Endless buffering. Does not start playing.

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4
Plays in HDR mode.

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4
Plays and triggers DV. Colors seems ok.

Internal player (from USB stick)

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4
Endless buffering (white circle). Does not start playing.

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4
White circle, then shows file is not recognized. Does not play.

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

Did I do anything apparently wrong in the process of creating the test files?

Can anyone else please do the same and see if its the same for them?
It would also be interesting if someone still on the old FW could do these tests to see where the difference is, if any.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

AndreasT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
AndreasT wrote:

I use the yusesope tool v0.0.4_BETA as mentioned here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282 .

In my case I used my Top Gun UHD disc as the source. It is a FEL release as listed in this post https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448.

I ignored the audio track for these tests. It does not seem to make a difference since I used the process below for the complete movie with audio and its the same
playback results.

src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i 00003.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:0 -c copy BL_FEL.hevc
src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i 00003.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:1 -c copy EL_RPU_FEL.hevc

src\FFmpeg\ffmpeg_win_x64.exe -i t00.mkv -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:0 -c copy BL_EL_RPU_FEL.hevc

v0.0.4_BETA\MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat, provide BL_FEL.hevc and EL_RPU_FEL.hevc from step 1.

Here are my tests

TV FW - v3.21.9

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4
Plays in HDR mode.

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

It would also be interesting if someone still on the old FW could do these tests to see where the difference is, if any.
Thanks a lot for testing. On old FW, I only tested DTDL mp4 and m2ts files and both of them didn't work. Only files that worked from usb are profile 5 and in ts container. I will test these files this weekend.
Dolbybotdolbybone

Post by Dolbybotdolbybone »

I recently downloaded an MP4 file that claims contain Dolby Vision. I have been trying to figure out what profile of Dolby Vision it is, so I can determine what to play it on. Next to HDR Format, it says Dolby Vision, Version 0. I have never heard of version 0 and I do not know what it is compatible with. The person I got it from says it will be difficult to find devices that will play it. I would really like some help with this.
Last edited by Dolbybotdolbybone on Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Dolbybotdolbybone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm
I recently downloaded an MP4 file that claims contain Dolby Vision. I have been trying to figure out what profile of Dolby Vision it is, so I can determine what to play it on. Next to HDR Format, it says Dolby Vision, Version 0. I have never heard of version 0 and I do not know what it is compatible with. The person I got it from says it will be difficult to find devices that will play it. I would really like some help with this.
that file from HBO is supposed to be in profile 5.. probably just a bad rip. You can demux the file and then remux it with the mp4muxer to profile 5, that's what I did.
it plays fine in DV on the Shield.

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 2 h 31 min
Bit rate                                 : 18.1 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 47.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.091
Stream size                              : 19.1 GiB (96%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4hy:[Linux][GCC 7.5.0][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings                        : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=6 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x2160 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=48 / keyint=48 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=48 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=3 / rc=abr / bitrate=18000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=2 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv-maxrate=27000 / vbv-bufsize=27000 / vbv-init=0.6 / vbv-end=0.6 / vbv-end-fr-adj=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=1 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / no-concatenation / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.01 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qpconformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0
Default                                  : No
Color range                              : Full
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC
Dolbybotdolbybone

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm
Dolbybotdolbybone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm
that file from HBO is supposed to be in profile 5.. probably just a bad rip. You can demux the file and then remux it with the mp4muxer to profile 5, that's what I did.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 2 h 31 min
Bit rate                                 : 18.1 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 47.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.091
Stream size                              : 19.1 GiB (96%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4hy:[Linux][GCC 7.5.0][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings                        : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=6 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x2160 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=48 / keyint=48 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=48 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=3 / rc=abr / bitrate=18000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=2 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv-maxrate=27000 / vbv-bufsize=27000 / vbv-init=0.6 / vbv-end=0.6 / vbv-end-fr-adj=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=1 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / no-concatenation / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.01 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qpconformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0
Default                                  : No
Color range                              : Full
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC
Thanks! I have also had questions about Dolby Vision profiles for a while and I never get a straight answer. So, to my understanding, profile 7 is only available on ultra blue ray discs and contains an extra layer called the enhancement layer which allows the content to achieve 12-bit color. If this is true, is profile seven definitely higher quality than profile 5? Also, is there a way to have profile 7 content in a local file? If so, what tv's/receivers/top boxes are compatible with profile 7? One last thing is that I have heard Low Latency Dolby Vision only has a minimal enhancement layer and not a full enhancement layer. What profile is LLDV and is it worse quality than regular dolby vision?

For my previous question about my file, do I have to have a Dolby Vision compatible moniter, top box (shield), and HDMI cable for this to work or can I plug my DV compatible monitor straight into my 2018 macbook air? And are there other top-boxes compatible with DV profile 5 and 7? Sorry again for all the questions :).
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Dolbybotdolbybone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 pm

Thanks! I have also had questions about Dolby Vision profiles for a while and I never get a straight answer. So, to my understanding, profile 7 is only available on ultra blue ray discs and contains an extra layer called the enhancement layer which allows the content to achieve 12-bit color. If this is true, is profile seven definitely higher quality than profile 5? Also, is there a way to have profile 7 content in a local file? If so, what tv's/receivers/top boxes are compatible with profile 7? One last thing is that I have heard Low Latency Dolby Vision only has a minimal enhancement layer and not a full enhancement layer. What profile is LLDV and is it worse quality than regular dolby vision?

For my previous question about my file, do I have to have a Dolby Vision compatible moniter, top box (shield), and HDMI cable for this to work or can I plug my DV compatible monitor straight into my 2018 macbook air? And are there other top-boxes compatible with DV profile 5 and 7? Sorry again for all the questions :).
fel vs mel vs streaming:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119

yes, single layer p5 DV is only compatible with DV hardware. I would say most (if not all) DV hardware supports p5.
for dual layer p7, your playback options are more limited:

1-The shield can play p7 DV but has the famous red push issue: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9580 and probably does not support FEL
the shield is also not 100% perfect with p5 content, see:
shield vs LG C8: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9663
shield vs x700: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9662
x700 vs LG C8: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9661

2- The Oppo and Sony x700 /x800 can play p7 FEL with lossless audio/subs and have no colors issue.
3- FireStick TV, can play p7 but only MEL and has no color issue.
4- probably some other bluray players can play p7 FEL with lossy audio.

LLDV(player-led 422 12bits) is the player doing the tonemapping and regular DV (tv-led 8bit RGB) is the TV doing the work. Therefore, tv-led DV is superior to player-led DV.
Dolbybotdolbybone

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:35 am
Dolbybotdolbybone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 pm

fel vs mel vs streaming:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119

yes, single layer p5 DV is only compatible with DV hardware. I would say most (if not all) DV hardware supports p5.
for dual layer p7, your playback options are more limited:

1-The shield can play p7 DV but has the famous red push issue: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9580 and probably does not support FEL
the shield is also not 100% perfect with p5 content, see:
shield vs LG C8: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9663
shield vs x700: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9662
x700 vs LG C8: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=9661

2- The Oppo and Sony x700 /x800 can play p7 FEL with lossless audio/subs and have no colors issue.
3- FireStick TV, can play p7 but only MEL and has no color issue.
4- probably some other bluray players can play p7 FEL with lossy audio.

LLDV(player-led 422 12bits) is the player doing the tonemapping and regular DV (tv-led 8bit RGB) is the TV doing the work. Therefore, tv-led DV is superior to player-led DV.

Wow. This was incredibly helpful. Thank you. I have been interested in finding a tv that supports hdmi 2.1 4k 120hz VRR and can play DV p7 FEL. I am trying to avoid direct to tv solutions like an external drive for file playback as most tv's can't pass HD audio like True HD or DTS-HD MA by themselves. I would also like a receiver and set-top box that supports FEL. Any suggestions? Also, if I buy a shield, how do I know if it or the tv supports tv-led processing? And do certain profiles only work with LLDV source-led and not tv-led? Finally, How do I know if my UHD disc is p7 FEL and can I have files that are p7 FEL and burn them onto UHD Blu-ray discs without any loss in audio (true-hd atmos) and video quality?
Last edited by Dolbybotdolbybone on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Dolbybotdolbybone wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 am
Wow. This was incredibly helpful. I am interested in finding a tv that supports hdmi 2.1 4k 120hz VRR and can play DV p7 FEL. I also need a receiver that supports p7 FEL. Any suggestions? I have been wondering as well if there is a way to play mkv or mp4 files on a tv without a shield-like set-top box since the shield does not support p7 FEL? In addition, if I buy a shield, how do I know if it or the tv supports tv-led processing? Also, do certain profiles only work with LLDV source-led and not tv-led? Finally, How do I know which discs are p7 FEL and can I have files that are p7 FEL and burn them onto UHD Blu-ray discs? I am so sorry. Those are absolutely the last of my questions.
You don't need to do an extensive search on receivers and what profiles they support. Any AVR that supports DV passthrough will work; its job in terms of video is to just be able to pass the signal onto the TV. As for TVs, if you're looking to play files off the TV's internal player, then only the LG OLEDS (mixed report on the current X-generation ones) will be able to play FEL mp4s. But since it looks like you're also going to have a home theatre setup, you will miss out on lossless audio if you go this route. There is no TV that can play files with both DV and lossless audio. If you're going to use an external device for playback, then you do not have to worry about what profiles the TV support. The only thing you have to worry about is whether it can do tv-led or LLDV. Unfortunately, you're going to have to do a bit of google search on your prospective TV models to get a definite answer on each TV. From what I've seen, all Sonys with the exception of the x900H can only do LLDV and all LGs can do both. LLDV vs TV-Led is also only concerned with which device does the tone-mapping; it's not dependent on the DV profiles as far as I know. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448 has a good list of FEL vs MEL titles, and no idea if discs that you burn will be readable by blu-ray players.
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm
that file ... is supposed to be in profile 5... You can demux the file and then remux it with the mp4muxer to profile 5, that's what I did.
Can you post the command lines for demuxing/remuxing? Thanks
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

magnetoeric wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm
AndreasT wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 pm
magnetoeric wrote:

playback results.

Here are my tests

TV FW - v3.21.9

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4
Plays in HDR mode.

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_fel.mp4

dtdl_dv7_mel.mp4

stdl_dv7_fel.mp4

stdl_dv7_mel.mp4

Thanks a lot for testing. On old FW, I only tested DTDL mp4 and m2ts files and both of them didn't work. Only files that worked from usb are profile 5 and in ts container. I will test these files this weekend.
If you are on the old FW still on your CX, could you please test the MP4\DTDL_021120 files that you can find at the bottom of this post https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 360#p97878 using the internal player from USB?

As I remember these two files did not play for me before the update, but now they are and triggering DV.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chros wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 am
Can you post the command lines for demuxing/remuxing? Thanks
for demuxing, you can simply use tsMuxer.
then mp4muxer:

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 5 --input-file video.hevc --input-file audio.ec3 --output-file new.mp4