Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 am

Edit: Yeah, that would only change/set the correct metadata in just the mkv container, not within the actual hevc stream itself (what I'm trying to do) - and oddly when you do that it shows you both info to show you there's container and stream metadata I guess. Thanks though.

Not even ffmpeg could do it apparently (without encoding) - not for the MDL metadata at least

Oh well, I'll have to try some other encoding tools I guess
AFAIK, what matters is what is reported to the TV by the player. Last time I checked, changing the metadata with mkvmerge correctly change what madvr(htpc) send to the TV. I don't know about other players though.
you could also try this old software: https://www.videohelp.com/software/NVHSP

anyway, my recommendation still stands, forget about handbrake and take a look at staxrip.
Ride_UL

Post by Ride_UL »

Can anyone help or point me to the post/guide on how to convert hdr10/10+ to DV?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Ride_UL wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 pm
Can anyone help or point me to the post/guide on how to convert hdr10/10+ to DV?
it doesn't exist
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:41 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 am

Edit: Yeah, that would only change/set the correct metadata in just the mkv container, not within the actual hevc stream itself (what I'm trying to do) - and oddly when you do that it shows you both info to show you there's container and stream metadata I guess. Thanks though.

Not even ffmpeg could do it apparently (without encoding) - not for the MDL metadata at least

Oh well, I'll have to try some other encoding tools I guess
AFAIK, what matters is what is reported to the TV by the player. Last time I checked, changing the metadata with mkvmerge correctly change what madvr(htpc) send to the TV. I don't know about other players though.
you could also try this old software: https://www.videohelp.com/software/NVHSP

anyway, my recommendation still stands, forget about handbrake and take a look at staxrip.
I concur, used Staxrip for many years.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

Probably been discussed over and over again so sorry, but what are people using to play profile 5 in mkvs currently?

As much as I don’t trust it from profile 7 attempts, I’m guessing it’s probably the nvidia shield? Kodi/plex?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

PlatypusW wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:05 pm
Probably been discussed over and over again so sorry, but what are people using to play profile 5 in mkvs currently?

As much as I don’t trust it from profile 7 attempts, I’m guessing it’s probably the nvidia shield? Kodi/plex?
I use a Firestick 4K with Kodi, works well for me.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

galarond wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 pm
Anybody know if Godzilla vs Kong is MEL or FEL, in blu-ray.com forums says the info shows as FEL but is MEL? Read about other movies with the same problem...theres any 100% accurate source for that info with all DV releases?.
EL with bitrate around 2 Mbps is MEL for sure

I wonder does anyone tested hybrid UHD HDR10 BL+p5 DV meta on Shield TV reagarding infamous red push issue? :roll:
Could be hard to spot...
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
vantheman

Post by vantheman »

Please could I have some thoughts on:
A. ShieldTV 2019 PRO supports only LLDV playback.
B. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is downgraded to MEL (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
C. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is ignored and only the BL+RPU layer is decoded (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
D. When playing DV profile 7 with MEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the MEL is decoded correctly (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
E. Profile 5/8 BL+RPU gives better colour accuracy than HDR10.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

I could be wrong, but I believe the process of converting FEL to MEL just discards the FEL video data but leaves the RPU untouched. So when converting to profile 8.1 I don't think you have to do anything special if you have a FEL source because you'll be discarding the whole EL and replacing it with the converted RPU either way.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:58 pm
Apparently my injected Soul video is corrupted near (if not directly) at a seamless branching boundary. Looking into it..
Edit: Seems to be caused by the source video being extracted by FFmpeg.
No corruption in the source when using mkvextract.
uhdiznotenough4mee wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm
uhdiznotenough4mee wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:08 pm
I do not have any errors either in ffmpeg or dovi_tool. All is going smooth. Except when I try to play the final file in either mpv or mpc-hc I see glitches - for example in the beginning when the the logo appears, the picture will freeze for a couple of seconds and the sound is continuing. At that time the glitch in small rectangle in left upper corner will appear. Here are examples:
Have you tried using mkvextract instead of ffmpeg for the HDR10 base layer demux?
If there are issues with the injected file, they are probably present in the original demuxed bitstream.
Brilliant. It seems to be working fine using mkvextract. Will test the result later but no glitches at all. Thanks so much, kind sir, for all the work you are doing.
I'm currently attempting to make my first hybrid profile 8.1 file and I had the same problem with my ffmpeg-demuxed HDR10 file.

I stumbled on this ffmpeg bug ("hevc_mp4toannexb bsf doesn't insert correct parameter sets if they change in-band") that looks to me like it might be what we're encountering? My source video is also one that makes (heavy) use of seamless branching.

Unfortunately a fix for that bug seems to have gotten bogged down. Do you think it would be good idea to change the dovi_tool usage examples to use mkvextract for now? I'd be happy to submit a pull request if you'd like.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:47 am
EL with bitrate around 2 Mbps is MEL for sure

I wonder does anyone tested hybrid UHD HDR10 BL+p5 DV meta on Shield TV reagarding infamous red push issue? :roll:
Could be hard to spot...
that's the first thing I did with the very first movie I injected DV....

viewtopic.php?p=110933#p110933
FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:22 pm

I'm currently attempting to make my first hybrid profile 8.1 file and I had the same problem with my ffmpeg-demuxed HDR10 file.

I stumbled on this ffmpeg bug ("hevc_mp4toannexb bsf doesn't insert correct parameter sets if they change in-band") that looks to me like it might be what we're encountering? My source video is also one that makes (heavy) use of seamless branching.

Unfortunately a fix for that bug seems to have gotten bogged down. Do you think it would be good idea to change the dovi_tool usage examples to use mkvextract for now? I'd be happy to submit a pull request if you'd like.
i dont know why you guys dont use Tsmuxer for extracting. It works very well and it allows you to extract hevc from seemless branching disc without merging the parts together first.
plus i never had glitches with it.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 am
I could be wrong, but I believe the process of converting FEL to MEL just discards the FEL video data but leaves the RPU untouched. So when converting to profile 8.1 I don't think you have to do anything special if you have a FEL source because you'll be discarding the whole EL and replacing it with the converted RPU either way.
Converting to MEL only changes some fields in the RPU (as documented by Dolby) for the players to recognize as MEL.
The EL is not discarded, and I don't recommend that either.
If someone wants to discard the EL, they're better off converting to profile 8.1.

FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:22 pm
The examples only use ffmpeg for piping HEVC data. There's no problem with the metadata extraction in this case.
Maybe demux/convert are affected, but it's not possible to pipe with mkvextract.

And for injecting, there's no mention of ffmpeg to correct.
As always, it's up to the user to verify the files.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mmm Netflix moved from profile 5 to profile 8 ? or are these scene groups just injected DV metadata into hdr10 with quietvoid tool?

Crown Season 1-4 webdl :

Code: Select all

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.07, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 1 min
Bit rate : 14.9 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.072
Stream size : 6.44 GiB (94%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1062 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 140 cd/m2
galarond wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 pm
theres any 100% accurate source for that info with all DV releases?.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:41 pm
or are these scene groups just injected DV metadata into hdr10 with quietvoid tool?
I'm pretty sure that's the case :)
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:27 pm
i dont know why you guys dont use Tsmuxer for extracting. It works very well and it allows you to extract hevc from seemless branching disc without merging the parts together first.
plus i never had glitches with it.
That's a nice idea. That way I could keep all the tracks separate and only mux the file once at the end of the process. I'll try it next time I rip a disc. Thanks!
quietvoid wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:31 pm
Converting to MEL only changes some fields in the RPU (as documented by Dolby) for the players to recognize as MEL.
The EL is not discarded, and I don't recommend that either.
If someone wants to discard the EL, they're better off converting to profile 8.1.
Ah, I see. I think the person I was replying to was intending to go from FEL to profile 8.1 so it's good to know that they can definitely do that in one step without having to go through MEL first.
quietvoid wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:31 pm
The examples only use ffmpeg for piping HEVC data. There's no problem with the metadata extraction in this case.
Maybe demux/convert are affected, but it's not possible to pipe with mkvextract.

And for injecting, there's no mention of ffmpeg to correct.
As always, it's up to the user to verify the files.
Oh that's a good point. I hope I didn't sound critical. I'm absolutely delighted with the tool and having a way to add DV to discs that lack it. Thank you very much for the tool, and thank you very much to RESET_9999 for all the helpful posts spelling out how to use it and documenting your experiments!