Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
azreil24

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by azreil24 »

Thank you for the great tool, sir. Quick question please. I have an MKV which only had HDR10+ for dynamic metadata, for which I used the other tools to turn into DV8. If I use the MODE.H flow, MODE.1 (as I see that MODE.2 which says HDR10plus to DoVi maker, is tagged as Not Recommended), will it use the correct HDR10+ layer to generate a new DoVi or it will also take in consideration the Profile 8 I had in the MKV also?

LE: My first attempt on this and for some reason it couldn't find the files it generated, although they were there while it was processing prior to this step. Not sure what happened.

Removing L2 trims.
Copyright (c) 2013-2023 Dolby Laboratories, Inc. All Rights Reserved
12/31/2023/15:06:55.502000000 metafier: ERROR Unable to open Metadata file 'E:\DoVi.Scripts\temp.folder77\Basterds_DV.xml'
Generate RPU from XML
Parsing XML metadata...
Error: The system cannot find the file specified. (os error 2)
File not found - Basterds_DV.xml
The system cannot find the file specified.
Error: expected value at line 21 column 35
Parsing RPU file...
Press any key to continue . . .
mkvmerge v81.0 ('Milliontown') 64-bit
Error: The type of file 'E:\DoVi.Scripts\Basterds_Generated.hevc' could not be recognized.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:17 am
That's why I went searching for that old post... the correlation wasn't clear to me. I'll re-read though and try to understand. Thanks for all your research; I'm just nowhere near your level of understanding.

I guess the part I'm most confused on still is how this relates to the TV. There was some talk earlier in this thread (after your post I quoted) where people were saying these CMv2.9 playback devices wouldn't work with newer TVs. Is that actually the case or is the TV not part of the equation... for example, I use my Oppo UDP-203 right now to compare against with the LG C9... If I were to swap the C9 out for a G3 would the Oppo be effectively useless?
It could just be how the cmv2.9 devices were made(chromecast seem different but cant do tv-led), I think they always target the TV edid regardless of L1. I believe the oppo is the same and the rpu reaction difference I mentioned on my old C8 is most likely because the C2 original DV configuration was broken and brightened everything. When they fixed the C2, my C8 was already sold so I couldn't test that anymore.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

azreil24 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:39 am
Thank you for the great tool, sir. Quick question please. I have an MKV which only had HDR10+ for dynamic metadata, for which I used the other tools to turn into DV8. If I use the MODE.H flow, MODE.1 (as I see that MODE.2 which says HDR10plus to DoVi maker, is tagged as Not Recommended), will it use the correct HDR10+ layer to generate a new DoVi or it will also take in consideration the Profile 8 I had in the MKV also?

LE: My first attempt on this and for some reason it couldn't find the files it generated, although they were there while it was processing prior to this step. Not sure what happened.
Workflow 3-2 is not recommended because the HDR10plus average pq metadata are calculated differently. Dolby latest cmv4.0 algo is very conservative(targets 92nits) while HDR10plus is more representative of the brightness and can have much higher values which could result in unexpected tone mapping when you straight convert HDR10plus to DV. see: https://slow.pics/c/WlGwchoE
L1 avg_pq has none to very little effect on 1000nits RPU though but for 4000nits RPU, it does react to avg a lot.

As for 3-1, when you input a file that contains HDR10plus or DV, the script will use only their original scene cuts and generate new proper dv metadata based on those cuts with the latest Dolby algo.
For your error, you did not provide enough information for me to help you. Post the complete log with echo set to on and mediainfo of your input.
azreil24

Post by azreil24 »

Many thanks for your input. I will do some more testing and hopefully I will get the hang of it. I love these things, but never had time to dive into such detail, that is why the Dolby Vision Tool by QfG came in handy.

I also checked your Dolby Vision stuff sheet and I see multiple cases differentiated by playback conditions. For now I am with the Zidoo Z9X Pro + LG C2 camp, but I do not look to convert the movies I have too specifically, like make it work as good as it gets for Zidoo and lose some things down the road, in case I change the player, to have things misaligned and having to rip the files again. So what would it be the best way to have the disk transferred to MKV and keep everything from the disk intact without affecting PQ in any way? Is MakeMKV enough for that? I basically extract only the video, main English audio and Subs, to save space, with MakeMKV and that is it. At least for DV, as it seems that with HDR things are more simple and it's not as convoluted as with DV. I see you mention "quality loss if content is FEL" but I suppose that is only applicable to that specific player, the Neo thingy, right?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

azreil24 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 pm
Many thanks for your input. I will do some more testing and hopefully I will get the hang of it. I love these things, but never had time to dive into such detail, that is why the Dolby Vision Tool by QfG came in handy.

I also checked your Dolby Vision stuff sheet and I see multiple cases differentiated by playback conditions. For now I am with the Zidoo Z9X Pro + LG C2 camp, but I do not look to convert the movies I have too specifically, like make it work as good as it gets for Zidoo and lose some things down the road, in case I change the player, to have things misaligned and having to rip the files again. So what would it be the best way to have the disk transferred to MKV and keep everything from the disk intact without affecting PQ in any way? Is MakeMKV enough for that? I basically extract only the video, main English audio and Subs, to save space, with MakeMKV and that is it. At least for DV, as it seems that with HDR things are more simple and it's not as convoluted as with DV. I see you mention "quality loss if content is FEL" but I suppose that is only applicable to that specific player, the Neo thingy, right?
The zidoo cannot do true TV-LED so you're stuck with all its bugs/limitations and it will never be as good as a player that can do true TV-LED (sony, oppo, atv, shield).
Also, the C2 is probably the last generation that can play DV ''properly'' on this device, and any TV with an edid higher than 1000nits will be wrong on this player when the DV RPU mastering display is under the target.

Makemkv or mkvtoolnix are fine to create P7 ST rip from BD but it is useless to your device because it cannot process the EL. So you can save some HDD space and convert them to profile 8 (workflow 4-1-1 or 4-2).
There's a list in my signature of which movies cannot be played without FEL and its applicable to any player that cant decode the EL.
azreil24

Post by azreil24 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:40 pm
The zidoo cannot do true TV-LED so you're stuck with all its bugs/limitations and it will never be as good as a player that can do true TV-LED (sony, oppo, atv, shield).
Also, the C2 is probably the last generation that can play DV ''properly'' on this device, and any TV with an edid higher than 1000nits will be wrong on this player when the DV RPU mastering display is under the target.

Makemkv or mkvtoolnix are fine to create P7 ST rip from BD but it is useless to your device because it cannot process the EL. So you can save some HDD space and convert them to profile 8 (workflow 4-1-1 or 4-2).
There's a list in my signature of which movies cannot be played without FEL and its applicable to any player that cant decode the EL.
Yeah, I know. I can some differences when playing the same content on my Panasonic UB820 compared to Zidoo, but can't put my finger on what, as differences seems small when I can't compare them side by side, but the UB820 seems better to my eyes still (could be due to the EL also?). From what I know there isn't any complete package out there with having the control over your library like you can with a Zidoo type of machine and have correct DV output like you have with a dedicated Blu-ray player. In case I missed that and there is, as I can still return the Zidoo :))

I don't want to remove the EL just for the sake of space and maybe regret it later, just because the Zidoo can't use it. I barely have time to set things up now, as I just got the Zidoo, so I don't want to waste more time later on re-ripping stuff and re-converting. Sadly the Plex can't play DV and it has to do video transcoding on the C2 native app if I have DTS sound and subs, which messes up the HDR.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

azreil24 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:56 pm
Sadly the Plex can't play DV and it has to do video transcoding on the C2 native app if I have DTS sound and subs, which messes up the HDR.
yep. The best solution for the plex internal app is to convert audio to EC3 and use external SRT with the TS container.
or use the mp4 container with internal timed text but I noticed that mp4box sometimes causes audio drop out/stuttering with EC3 atmos tracks.
azreil24

Post by azreil24 »

These are the plots for Inglorious Basters which came with HDR10+ on disk and which I converted to DV profile 8. Will be curious to see what the DV plot will look like once create using your tool.

speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:33 pm
because the C2 original DV configuration was broken and brightened everything. When they fixed the C2, my C8 was already sold so I couldn't test that anymore.
That part answers my question. I was wondering if the C2 was ever fixed and it sounds like you're saying that it was. I have a C8, C9, and C2 on hand if you want anything tested with them. I also have access to a CX, C1, and C3.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:05 pm
I also have access to a CX, C1, and C3.
I'd be curious to know if L2 trim Chroma Weight work on the C3. It doesn't on the C2 internal player or TV-LED hdmi.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qdHux6 ... drive_link

PS, using the C2 edid on my cheap Vizio TV + x700/x800, Chroma Weight is working so no reason to not work on the C2.
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:02 am
x700 doesnt support cmv4.0 so it doesnt matter
Regarding CMv4.0 and CMv2.9 discussion, there are player devices and display devices in TV-led DV mode.
Does a CMv2.9 player care if the metadata is CMv4.0 or CMv2.9?
If player is CMv4.0 but TV is CMv2.9, does the player send over full CMv4.0 data (both L2 and L8) or the player does some processing only send L8 data? If full CMv4.0 data is sent, TV should use L2 data?

Thank you in advance!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

In order to display CMV4.0 videos, both the TV and the player must support it.

If the player is cmv2.9, it doesn't matter if the content is 4.0 and the player only uses the cmv2.9 block
if the player is cmv4.0 but the TV is not , only the 2.9 block is used unless the player is in LLDV mode.
ragico

Post by ragico »

This Dolby Vision "affair" is becoming more and more complicated and difficult for us common people.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

ragico wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:50 pm
This Dolby Vision "affair" is becoming more and more complicated and difficult for us common people.
Yeah feels like we need a completely new thread with more organized instructions. Do we even consistently get better image with dolby vision compared to hdr10 at this point? I honestly have no idea.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:37 am
ragico wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:50 pm
Yeah feels like we need a completely new thread with more organized instructions. Do we even consistently get better image with dolby vision compared to hdr10 at this point? I honestly have no idea.
If you're using an LG or Panasonic TV with a color-accurate TV-led player, the answer should always be yes, as long as the metadata used was intended for what is being played.

If you use a Sony A95K, you're better off with Dolby Vision. I'm guessing the A95L will also be in this situation once Sony fixes its Dolby Vision EOTF tracking (it currently requires Gradation Preferred for accuracy, which sounds like it uses Sony's Tone Mapping instead of Dolby Vision).

If you're using pretty much any Sony TV other than the A95K that is TV-led capable, then most have issues with their Dolby Vision base configuration data. Unless you can measure your specific panel or see measurements from someone else who has measured, you may be better off using HDR10 with Sony's Gradataion Preferred tone mapping.

If you're using any Sony TV that is only Player-led capable, it also depends on your playback device (many playback devices aren't up to the task from RESET's research). If your Sony TV is only Player-led capable, it likely has less luminance and color volume and can significantly benefit from Dolby Vision's tone mapping. Still, I'd measure it regardless since Sony has a history of striking out with Dolby Vision.

If you're using any other TV brand, there isn't enough data to determine what's best. I'm unaware of anyone doing deep analysis on Hisense, Vizio, TCL, and Philips TVs since most enthusiasts are on LG, Sony, and Panasonic TVs.
Last edited by speeddemon on Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.