Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kazuma

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by kazuma »

is there a difference between DV-mp4 and original DV with the eye? has anyone tested yet?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

kazuma wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:42 pm
is there a difference between DV-mp4 and original DV with the eye? has anyone tested yet?
I’ve tested Single layer and double layer from the same movie on the same LG C7 and 65” C9 and there is no difference, obvs both are mp4, mp4 is just a transport for the streams.
I think people are getting overly hung up over this, dual layer is interleaved into a single watchable item inside the TV, where in a single layer the the enhancement layer is already interleaved. One requires hardware (double layer) one can be done in pure processing power(single layer)

If Single layer was inferior LG would be lording it over all those Sony’s TVs that only accept single layer wouldn’t they?
daddy

Post by daddy »

In profile 5 (single layer) there is no enhancement layer.
In profile 7 (dual layer) there is an enhancement layer that is 1/4 the size of the main UHD layer.

So, a profile 5 DV file have the DV already applied to the video. This mean that if you read this video on a hdr10 system, the color are false.
In profile 5 you lost the hdr10 compatibility.

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:18 am
One requires hardware (double layer) one can be done in pure processing power(single layer)
This is false. Do you need a specific hardware for decoding dts-hd or truehd ?? no, this can be done in software.
For dual layer DV we just need a video player capable of reading 2 hevc streams at the same time.

There is already a project of plugin started by dolbylaboratories : https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/do ... der_plugin
Dual layer stream support is not implemented. This example may be a good base for adding this feature, however.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

kazuma wrote:
I actually just found a "blemish" in my Hannibal mp4, in 2 scenes I've noticed blow out highlights: extremely artificial-looking blocks of pixels, and all on light reflection off of character faces in interior scenes, not talking about sci-fi high intensity laser blasts...

I only "noticed" them because they jumped out at me, didn't "notice" them playing the disc (fairly certain they weren't there). it's gonna be quite a work out if I were to try to hunt these specific scenes down to capture on camera for demo.

but does it mean anything? IDK. of all the components in the entire ecosystem of ripping/converting/playing/displaying the file, somewhere a "glitch" happened? can't say, or this is just a one-off event? IDK.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

daddy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:49 am
In profile 5 (single layer) there is no enhancement layer.
In profile 7 (dual layer) there is an enhancement layer that is 1/4 the size of the main UHD layer.

So, a profile 5 DV file have the DV already applied to the video. This mean that if you read this video on a hdr10 system, the color are false.
In profile 5 you lost the hdr10 compatibility.

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:18 am
One requires hardware (double layer) one can be done in pure processing power(single layer)
This is false. Do you need a specific hardware for decoding dts-hd or truehd ?? no, this can be done in software.
For dual layer DV we just need a video player capable of reading 2 hevc streams at the same time.

There is already a project of plugin started by dolbylaboratories : https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/do ... der_plugin
Dual layer stream support is not implemented. This example may be a good base for adding this feature, however.

And that is the bit that needs the hardware in the player to support it, Nvidia Shield for instance doesn’t have hardware that can play 2 streams at once so it can only play single layer....
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

superfans124 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:56 pm
kazuma wrote:
I actually just found a "blemish" in my Hannibal mp4, in 2 scenes I've noticed blow out highlights: extremely artificial-looking blocks of pixels, and all on light reflection off of character faces in interior scenes, not talking about sci-fi high intensity laser blasts...

I only "noticed" them because they jumped out at me, didn't "notice" them playing the disc (fairly certain they weren't there). it's gonna be quite a work out if I were to try to hunt these specific scenes down to capture on camera for demo.

but does it mean anything? IDK. of all the components in the entire ecosystem of ripping/converting/playing/displaying the file, somewhere a "glitch" happened? can't say, or this is just a one-off event? IDK.
Could just be your playback device, is the disk player and MP4 player the same device?
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

So i just wanted to do quick write-up about an issue I was having over the past couple of days trying to get Alita: Battle Angel setup and working with yusesope's player.
I was having an issue with mp4box throwing "incomplete box" errors and not playing in yusesope's player(playback failed, error), as if the file was incomplete or corrupted.
come to find out dvdfab had somehow messed up the output. this was discovered by using Mediainfo on the dvdfab output, which showed me "istruncated: yes"
did some more testing with ripping the disc multiple times, in multiple ways, with the same results.
then i noticed the "choose other titles" option in dvdfab. and low and behold there was a whole lot of other streams, several of which where smaller than the full thing.
Went through previewing the titles and they were all(aside from the big main title) parts of the whole.
so as an experiment, I found all the parts to make the whole. and once outputted none were truncated (good sign).
individually tested each file to make sure they worked with yusesope's player, and they did.
then with a little research on mp4box and found the it can actually combine (referred to as concatenates) multiple videos
so with this command and i was able to get the file up and functioning

mp4box -add video1.mp4 -cat video2.mp4 -cat video3.mp4 -cat video4.mp4 output.mp4

Now if you do need to use this make sure you input the files in the correct order.

and so far this has seemed to work just fine.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

It's been a while since I was on this thread. Any update to the method or Grencola's tool (mine is v2.0) is still the best here? Anyone got the c9 oled and can confirm the DV files are still working on that tv?
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

justinadams wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:42 am
So i just wanted to do quick write-up about an issue I was having over the past couple of days trying to get Alita: Battle Angel setup and working with yusesope's player.
I was having an issue with mp4box throwing "incomplete box" errors and not playing in yusesope's player(playback failed, error), as if the file was incomplete or corrupted.
come to find out dvdfab had somehow messed up the output. this was discovered by using Mediainfo on the dvdfab output, which showed me "istruncated: yes"
did some more testing with ripping the disc multiple times, in multiple ways, with the same results.
then i noticed the "choose other titles" option in dvdfab. and low and behold there was a whole lot of other streams, several of which where smaller than the full thing.
Went through previewing the titles and they were all(aside from the big main title) parts of the whole.
so as an experiment, I found all the parts to make the whole. and once outputted none were truncated (good sign).
individually tested each file to make sure they worked with yusesope's player, and they did.
then with a little research on mp4box and found the it can actually combine (referred to as concatenates) multiple videos

mp4box -add video1.mp4 -cat video2.mp4 -cat video3.mp4 -cat video4.mp4 output.mp4

Now if you do need to use this make sure you input the files in the correct order.

I could kiss you!
I just tried this and worked perfectly, I didn't watch the entire movie but everything is in sync, I even made a DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio from the Atmos and that sync'd up just fine.
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 pm
justinadams wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:42 am

I could kiss you!
I just tried this and worked perfectly, I didn't watch the entire movie but everything is in sync, I even made a DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio from the Atmos and that sync'd up just fine.

glad to hear that it was helpful. :D
box4m

Post by box4m »

Anyone could explain, or point to a post where i can read about how to play/install yusesoplayer on 2019shield?

Thank you
box4m

Post by box4m »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:32 am
Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:22 am
yet play in dolby vision with the basic sideloaded mx player.
Is MX Player capable of managing Dolby Vision streams?
Yes it is, to my surprise. It doesn't support frame-switching though, which is a deal breaker for me since I don't want to watch my 24fps movies in 60fps. hoping your player will do this?
Does MXPlayer play DV mp4 single layer that are made with dvdfab+ffmpeg+mp4box ?
I only get picture+audio with files that are 100% made from dvdfab, dvdfab+ffmpeg+mp4box i only get sound and a black picture, and i dont know how to check if its playing DTS in mxplayer?

If it works for you, what method are you using to get single layer mp4 DV with DTS?

All above is with 2019shield
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Plex on Shield doesn’t match frame rate for Dolby Vision either, according to devs it would have to be implemented by Nvidia.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

box4m wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:52 am
Does MXPlayer play DV mp4 single layer that are made with dvdfab+ffmpeg+mp4box ?
I only get picture+audio with files that are 100% made from dvdfab, dvdfab+ffmpeg+mp4box i only get sound and a black picture, and i dont know how to check if its playing DTS in mxplayer?

If it works for you, what method are you using to get single layer mp4 DV with DTS?

All above is with 2019shield
I used the fire tv stick 4k since I don't have a shield yet. it only worked with one title and not great, but all the LG DV demos work just fine.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am
Plex on Shield doesn’t match frame rate for Dolby Vision either, according to devs it would have to be implemented by Nvidia.
omg seriously?! well shit. this means there is literally no media streaming device capable of playing back our UHD DV movie backups with HD-audio in 24fps :cry: The ONLY option to get it all would be to either use a UHD-BD player, a Chinese Oppo clone, or be lucky enough to own one of the VERY select few TV's that support e-arc/hdmi 2.1 where you'd play the full m2ts from either its usb player or (possibly) plex. brutal.