Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

box4m wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Are you saying that x700 plays dual layer dolby vision mp4s? From network share or usb?
Where can i find more info?

Thx
Yes the x700 plays Dual & Single layer DV MP4 with LPCM 7.1 via USB. Some titles just wont play ( about 2 or 3) but I watched more than 100 DV dual layer with lossless audio without any problems.
I read somewhere(in this thread i think) that it also works from a network but the slow 100mbps ethernet port caused playback issues.

here's what is supported with the x700:

MP4 DV (SL & DL) + lpcm 7.1 = play perfectly fine. (subtitles dont work)
M2TS / TS + atmos = HDR10 only but atmos is supported.
MKV + atmos - HDR10 but atmos not supported (because the core is separated)
MKV + DTS-X / DTSHD = HDR10 and all the DTS family is supported.
Burned ISO = Dolby vision + atmos supported. (latest Tsmuxer can now create compliant DV bluray structure)https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668&page=16
no cinavia... But i only use it for DV mp4 remux, I wish there was a device that can do it all......
I use my HTPC for HDR10 and the new Shield for everything that is streaming....Netflix in DV + Atmos.. amazon, movies anywhere, vudu. etc...
Sorry for my english...

bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

As of right now for the very few Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos titles I do want to watch I am OK just buying the UHD Bluray. Those are movies I would generally rewatch. Otherwise lossless sound beats DV for me. So I just need to make sure I use M2TS in the case of Atmos TrueHD, otherwise MKV is fine for DTS HD-MA. The X700 is a wonderful machine and if you don't care for Atmos + DV from pirated movies, it will play anything else fine, including the actual UHD blurays. Also there are MEL DV with DD+ Atmos content out there from streaming companies.
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:06 pm
The X700 is a wonderful machine and if you don't care for Atmos + DV from pirated movies, it will play anything else fine, including the actual UHD blurays.
who said anything about pirated movies?? A huge amount of people care about disc preservation where you watch it once or twice (or sometimes never even open it if it's a rare steelbook), and then just make a digital backup so you can view it to your hearts content without touching the physical copy. If you paid for the disc, you should be entitled to watch the backup in its full glory and not have choose between better picture or sound quality.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Mmmm surely the Sony suffers from cinavia?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Mmmm surely the Sony suffers from cinavia?
surprisingly not via USB, but my player is about 1 year old and of course I never updated the firmware (and never will). So maybe it is active now, I don't know.
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

Grencola wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:55 pm
who said anything about pirated movies?? A huge amount of people care about disc preservation where you watch it once or twice (or sometimes never even open it if it's a rare steelbook), and then just make a digital backup so you can view it to your hearts content without touching the physical copy. If you paid for the disc, you should be entitled to watch the backup in its full glory and not have choose between better picture or sound quality.
Let's be real here. The only reason there is so much interest in this is to pirate videos. I have YET to have a failed VHS, DVD, Bluray or UHD Bluray since I started using physical media in 1994. Don't even try to give me the argument of media preservation :roll: . And realistically, how many times are you going to watch a movie? By the time the media wears out (which it won't), 8K remasters will be here on newer media.

I strongly appreciate the work you and others are doing in regards to DV on local playback. But to say the driving factor is media preservation is simply not true. Also if you want media preservation... just rip and reburn the bluray. Or better yet if you want convenience of no disk, do what 99% of the population does and stream via Netflix, etc.
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

bgalakazam wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 am
Grencola wrote:
Let's be real here. The only reason there is so much interest in this is to pirate videos. I have YET to have a failed VHS, DVD, Bluray or UHD Bluray since I started using physical media in 1994. Don't even try to give me the argument of media preservation :roll: . And realistically, how many times are you going to watch a movie? By the time the media wears out (which it won't), 8K remasters will be here on newer media.

I strongly appreciate the work you and others are doing in regards to DV on local playback. But to say the driving factor is media preservation is simply not true. Also if you want media preservation... just rip and reburn the bluray. Or better yet if you want convenience of no disk, do what 99% of the population does and stream via Netflix, etc.
Yeah because Netflix does HD Audio with bitrates up to 100m/b second.

Seriously I enjoy having all my stuff available at the press of a few buttons, wherever I am in the world, I have tooo many blu-rays, dvds, cds to have them sat next a physical player, they are all in the loft at my main address.
And yes, I have full 4K Rips for my main address, but I also do 1080p hdr encodes of all my movies as well so if I’m not home and I suddenly want to watch a certain movie I can...
Jaws on Netflix? No, Star Wars on Netflix, no, James Bond on Netflix????
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 am
Grencola wrote:

Sounds like we found the pirate :mrgreen: I'll remind you we are on makemkv's forum, a legitimate program used to convert your purchased physical media into a digital backup. This entire thread started because we were hoping to get Dolby Vision added into mkv's so that us responsible folks didn't have to make compromises while doing this. Also, I could make many other arguments too if you really want :P btw, a big component of media preservation is once people have ripped their collection to a harddrive, the convenience factor is huge. being able to scroll through a beautiful list with extra scraped info and playing what you want at a touch of a button vs having to get up and down and find the case and open it up, and hope it's right, and insert/eject discs is ridiculous in 2020. You said if I want this convenience then to watch Netflix?! Seriously? That's surely worse than having to decide between dolby vision or hd-audio, as it's all lossy compressed garbage that, except for original content, is old and tiring.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

How we use the tools or what source do we use is irrelevant. In the end, all we want is the most convenient playback method at the highest quality possible.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Of course nothing against netflix.
It's just a question of what we watch on our expensive tv's.
To me no comparison is possible between an original bluray 4k disc (with or without dolby vision) and the equivalent streamed by any of the streaming companies.
But, as usually, high quality is a niche: As for everything in this world.
StealMySoda

Post by StealMySoda »

MastaG wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 pm
It's been a while since I've played with mp4muxer, mp4box and ffmpeg.
I used to remux both layers with ac3 audio into a mp4 container which works fine in both the Plex and Xplay app on my LG C8.

However it seems some people remux the hd audio track into lpcm 7.1 audio.
I assume you only lose the Atmos positional metadata.
But it's still better than ac3 since it's lossless.

But does the lpcm 7.1 audio play in the LG plex or Xplay app?

I know I can probably not hear the difference using the built-in speakers and regular arc only allows up to eac3 (dd+)

But if it's able to play then it's better for preservation I guess. Since playing it on devices connected to my amp directly will benefit
Did you ever find an answer to this question?
JonathanX64

Post by JonathanX64 »

Hello! I have two questions about Dolby Vision muxing process.

Some users on this thread reported that dual layer mp4 works with Sony UBP-X700 players, and with LPCM 7.1 sound. How exactly have you prepared files for the playback? Have you used DVDfab or other software? Have you converted TrueHD stream to LPCM, and if so, how that was done?

I also have a question about mp4muxer tool from the first post in this thread. Does it allow converting dual layer DV to single layer? If so, how exactly it is done? I've tried it on Windows, Linux and Mac, and it never delivers the results. The tool always fully reads through the supplied files (~60 gigs in my case), it writes ~600 megabytes of output file (equals to the size of supplied .ac3 track), and then it just freezes. Has it worked for anyone?

Thanks.
jaanus

Post by jaanus »

daddy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:27 pm
I think the Sony dv support is the worst.
http://4k.com/news/sony-explains-about-dolby-vision-problem-in-its-4k-hdr-tvs-partly-blames-others-23168/ wrote:Sony implemented a modification to Dolby Vision support by which most of the processing for playback of content with this kind of high dynamic range formatting is offloaded to the device from which it came from instead of being done inside the TV itself. Thus the need for complementary updates from streaming device makers. Why Sony chose this approach is still unknown but it could be because they wanted to make their Dolby Vision update as lean and easy to implement as possible.
Philips 804 is an android tv with a built-in Video player that can handle dual layer dv.
This is surprising that nobody tried to backup this android application, to try it on another android device :idea:
Hi
Do you know more about Philips 804 dual layer DV capability?
Or any link ?
Can't get mine working. Incorrect colours or unsupported format message. Single layer is ok.

BR,
Jaanus
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

JonathanX64 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:41 pm
Hello! I have two questions about Dolby Vision muxing process.

Some users on this thread reported that dual layer mp4 works with Sony UBP-X700 players, and with LPCM 7.1 sound. How exactly have you prepared files for the playback? Have you used DVDfab or other software? Have you converted TrueHD stream to LPCM, and if so, how that was done?

I also have a question about mp4muxer tool from the first post in this thread. Does it allow converting dual layer DV to single layer? If so, how exactly it is done? I've tried it on Windows, Linux and Mac, and it never delivers the results. The tool always fully reads through the supplied files (~60 gigs in my case), it writes ~600 megabytes of output file (equals to the size of supplied .ac3 track), and then it just freezes. Has it worked for anyone?

Thanks.
Hi, i do all my mp4 dual layer remux with:

demuxing video and audio LPCM7.1:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -i X:\bluray.m2ts -map 0:0 -c copy X:\HDR10.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy X:\DV.hevc -map 0:2 -c:a pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -rf64 auto X:\lpcm.mov

dual layer mp4 muxing:

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file X:\HDR10.hevc --input-file X:\DV.hevc --output-file DV-MP4-nosound.mp4
adding LPCM 7.1 audio:

mp4box.exe -add X:\DV-MP4-nosound.mp4:rate=0 -add X:\lpcm.mov#audio:lang=en-EN -tmp X:\ -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 -no-iod X:\DV-MP4-7.1.mp4
98% of the DV movies play fine on the X700 using these tools. you can find the tools here:
https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &start=310
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

It is not advisable to demux both base layer and dolby vision layer at the same time right? As in we need to demux those one by one instead? I did that with Hellboy 2019 and it got massive stutter during playback.