Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mattmarsden wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:48 pm
So do you think your tool is creating a DV file with correct colourspace etc?
Hi, it isn’t color space it is color profile, UHD disks don’t contain the correct profile for the single layer Dolby Vision specification, as good as this news is it is conceivable that the resulting files are also incorrect.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm
Thanks for the tests guys.
I made changes based on your feedbacks.
Are you ready for the second round?
HERE you can find the new files (I also added the profile dvhe.08.06)

I think I'm onto something: I am also able to demux Single Layer DV files and transform them into Dual Layer DV files.
I made an attempt with the file you find HERE.
The result is this (HERE the DL file):

Code: Select all

Video #1
ID                                      : 1
Formato                                 : HEVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profilo formato                         : Main 10@L5@Main
ID codec                                : hev1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : High Efficiency Video Coding
Durata                                  : 1 min 14s
Bitrate                                 : 15,4 Mb/s
Larghezza                               : 3.840 pixel
Altezza                                 : 2.160 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 10 bit
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.077
Dimensione della traccia                : 137MiB (74%)
Default                                 : Si
AlternateGroup/String                   : 1
Data codifica                           : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Data                                    : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Codec configuration box                 : hvcC

Video #2
ID                                      : 2
Formato                                 : HEVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profilo formato                         : Main 10@L4@Main
Dolby Vision                            : 1.0, dvhe.04.06, EL+RPU
ID codec                                : hev1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : High Efficiency Video Coding
Durata                                  : 1 min 14s
Bitrate                                 : 5.519 kb/s
Larghezza                               : 1.920 pixel
Altezza                                 : 1.080 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 10 bit
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.111
Dimensione della traccia                : 49,0MiB (26%)
Default                                 : No
AlternateGroup/String                   : 1
Data codifica                           : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Data                                    : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Codec configuration box                 : hvcC+dvcC

@Grencola
I am not using any other tools.
Just my code.
If it works, I can write the part of the program that accepts prompt commands based on your needs.

My tool accepts the Base and Enhancement layer as input (raw HEVC, for example BL.hevc and EL.hevc after a demuxing with ffmpeg) and returns a raw HEVC file in which all the levels are combined (BL_EL_RPU.hevc) .

The file can be imported as it is into tsMuxeR.
At the moment, however, tsMuxeR discards the EL level by returning an BL + RPU file.
You can test it with my files.
You should use ffmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmmpeg -i my_test_file.mp4 -c copy my_raw_test_file.hevc
and then import my_raw_test_file.hevc in tsMuxeR

When I get the code fixed I will release the source code so you can play it as much as you like.

As for the problems with the colors and DVDFab, my idea is similar to that expressed on the Mrmc forum (HERE)
How did you create the single layer DV 7.06 BL+EL+RPU file?
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:30 am
mattmarsden wrote:
Hi, it isn’t color space it is color profile, UHD disks don’t contain the correct profile for the single layer Dolby Vision specification, as good as this news is it is conceivable that the resulting files are also incorrect.
I don't want to be pessimistic but I think like you, two things;

- If this is only DV why people can't play certain profiles and play HDR instead?
- If this is posible, why the companies create a second stream for DV?
Last edited by hepe9 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Grencola wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:22 pm
mattmarsden wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:28 pm
So as others have said the 05.06 profile works fine in Plex on the 2019 Shield - it would be great to be able to have a play around with the tool, especially as the start of Terminator is difficult to judge colours etc on.
are you able to use tsmuxer nightly to turn that mp4 file into a ts and add any old atmos track to see if it all works?
I attempted this yesterday and had the same result as with DVDFab SL, Atmos isn't triggered on the shield snd it causes jumpy playback, I suspect it's something to do with plex itself and ts files
baker99

Post by baker99 »

hepe9 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
mattmarsden wrote:

- If this is only DV why people can't play certain profiles and play HDR instead?
DL also supports 12 bit I believe whereas SL doesn't, I doubt there's a huge difference without a 12bit display.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

baker99 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 am
hepe9 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:

DL also supports 12 bit I believe whereas SL doesn't, I doubt there's a huge difference without a 12bit display.
I want to believe, but I don't want to get my hopes up, its to good to be true
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

baker99 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:46 am
Grencola wrote:
mattmarsden wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:28 pm
So as others have said the 05.06 profile works fine in Plex on the 2019 Shield - it would be great to be able to have a play around with the tool, especially as the start of Terminator is difficult to judge colours etc on.
are you able to use tsmuxer nightly to turn that mp4 file into a ts and add any old atmos track to see if it all works?
I attempted this yesterday and had the same result as with DVDFab SL, Atmos isn't triggered on the shield snd it causes jumpy playback, I suspect it's something to do with plex itself and ts files
I think its because plex doesnt like TrueHD with embedded ac3, but I’m not certain on this.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 am
baker99 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:46 am
Grencola wrote:

I think its because plex doesnt like TrueHD with embedded ac3, but I’m not certain on this.
Interesting, I wonder if we could strip the embedded ac3 and maintain the atmos/thd
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

Its easy to strip the ac3 its just that tsmuxer doesnt currently accept thd without embedded ac3.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 pm
Its easy to strip the ac3 its just that tsmuxer doesnt currently accept thd without embedded ac3.
Yep just figured this out, frustrating as it's so close to working. I'm pretty sure you are correct about the ac3 being the issue, I stripped it out using mkvtools and the test video ran with Atmos, unfortunately it also strips the DV leaving it as plain HDR :(
baker99

Post by baker99 »

A quick update, using the 7.06 test file muxed with an Atmos track seems to play with both Atmos and Dolby vision in mx player (it seems to not always detect dolby vision but that may be my settings).
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:12 am
good news, DL DV TS made by Tsmuxer are the real deal.

identical in real life and so is the screenshots comparison: https://slow.pics/c/V994dhhF

DV, Atmos, Subtitles, and even fast-forwarding now works. this is awesome.
oh shit...here we go again! another breakthrough (and comes with another endless round of tinkering, lol)!

I tried it, tsmuxer + x700 = DL TS, seems to work: My go-to "DV lab rat" is The Meg, the UHD is mastered to 4000-nits, when played on my C6 (500-ish max nits) in HDR10, all the above-water scene have blown background: a solid white blanket. Only in DV I can see clear separation of blue sky and the white clouds in background. Maybe not exhaustive, but passed my eyeball test.

And AVR recognizes the Dolby Atmos in the DL TS file! And x700 can display PGS subtitle! Fast forward works without crashing the X700! AND it works off DLNA server (within its 100m ethernet port limitation).

Except I'm having this one MAJOR ANNOYING problem with my x700: I can only play one file...

I tested The Meg quick to see the DV highlights, everything looks good, then I pulled back to play another test file, now the entire screen is smeared with colorful mosaics like a broken screen. tested another file, same thing (audio-dolby atmos still plays in the background).

If I shut the x700 down for sometime (don't know how long is required) and come back, the first DL TS file would play PERFECTLY again, but then all other files would play corruptly AGAIN, forcing me to shut it down, or play this one file (though I have not played any one DL TS file in its entirety to verify).

IDK what the problem is: Tsmuxer is 2/28 nightly build, all my AV components: x700, x4300h, C6 are old models that haven't had an update for quite sometime. Judging how the first file plays fine, it's not a HDMI cable issue. I hope it's a software settings issue somewhere in my AV equipments, and not due to hardware limitation (2016 LG OLEDs do have "old man quirks")...
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

superfans124 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:40 pm
Except I'm having this one MAJOR ANNOYING problem with my x700: I can only play one file...

I tested The Meg quick to see the DV highlights, everything looks good, then I pulled back to play another test file, now the entire screen is smeared with colorful mosaics like a broken screen. tested another file, same thing (audio-dolby atmos still plays in the background).

If I shut the x700 down for sometime (don't know how long is required) and come back, the first DL TS file would play PERFECTLY again, but then all other files would play corruptly AGAIN, forcing me to shut it down, or play this one file (though I have not played any one DL TS file in its entirety to verify).

IDK what the problem is: Tsmuxer is 2/28 nightly build, all my AV components: x700, x4300h, C6 are old models that haven't had an update for quite sometime. Judging how the first file plays fine, it's not a HDMI cable issue. I hope it's a software settings issue somewhere in my AV equipments, and not due to hardware limitation (2016 LG OLEDs do have "old man quirks")...
yep, same issue here.... this also happened when I tested DVDFab's single layers files in the past.
this is not ideal but I'm still happy that I can now watch DV movies with Atmos. Well, I didn't watch a complete movie yet, maybe other issues will show up. fingers crossed...
so if my only problem is that I cant watch two movies in a row (which I almost never do) without rebooting, this is not that big of a deal for me.

Now it's time to enjoy that breakthrough and hopefully, no more issue shows up.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:14 pm
superfans124 wrote:

yep, same issue here.... this also happened when I tested DVDFab's single layers files in the past.
this is not ideal but I'm still happy that I can now watch DV movies with Atmos. Well, I didn't watch a complete movie yet, maybe other issues will show up. fingers crossed...
so if my only problem is that I cant watch two movies in a row (which I almost never do) without rebooting, this is not that big of a deal for me.

Now it's time to enjoy that breakthrough and hopefully, no more issue shows up.
...I.just.love.keep.discovering.all.the.capabilities.and.limitations.of.the.x700...(no, I don't. not really. :mrgreen: )
ragico

Post by ragico »

superfans124 wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:12 am
good news, DL DV TS made by Tsmuxer are the real deal.

identical in real life and so is the screenshots comparison: https://slow.pics/c/V994dhhF

DV, Atmos, Subtitles, and even fast-forwarding now works. this is awesome.
oh shit...here we go again! another breakthrough (and comes with another endless round of tinkering, lol)!

Same problem here with Lg C8 and sony 5000 soundbar.
Maybe the problem lies in the x700.