Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

@ the x700 owners...

I watched a couple of DV TS movies and I'm glad to report that everything looked and sounded great, no problem at all (except when you stop or finish playback of course).
I watched Jumanji 2017, Deer Hunter(tsmuxer applied the 3000ms delay automatically) and Angel heart. No lipsync issue but if you guys still get some, you can just press option on the remote and set a delay.

I also tested some of the problematic titles and they all played without issue.

Angel Heart:

DV mp4 = video freeze with LPCM (fine with ac3)
DV TS = works with DTS-HD

Secret life of pets 2:
DV mp4 = playback is jumpy
DV TS = works with Atmos.

Gemini man:
DV mp4 = playback is jumpy with lpcm (fine with ac3)
DV ts = works with atmos.

plus the tsmuxer method is saving me tons of time.. it used to take like 20-30 min to make a DV MP4 with LPCM even with my fast NVME M2 drive ( a lot slower with HDD).
now one step, no cmd-line and it takes 2 minutes to create a DV TS with atmos lol .

hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

I have only 1 hope next month, and is PowerDVD

If next month the new version comes out and not come with DV we can say DV is dead in PC

-17 Added 4K UHD Support
-18 Nothing
-19 Nothing
-20 We need to wait
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

I can confirm no more lipsync issues with DL TS on x700.

but, I'm hard crashing x700 with fast forwarding and rewinding, once again...first experienced a hard crash last night trying to rewind a section I missed when taking a leak, x700 froze beyond maybe 10 seconds of rewinding then I had to unplug the power cord. Tried the Deer Hunter this morning, glad to report no lipsync, so I fast forwarded to test, hard crashed again beyond a few seconds of ff.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:46 pm

but, I'm hard crashing x700 with fast forwarding and rewinding, once again...first experienced a hard crash last night trying to rewind a section I missed when taking a leak, x700 froze beyond maybe 10 seconds of rewinding then I had to unplug the power cord. Tried the Deer Hunter this morning, glad to report no lipsync, so I fast forwarded to test, hard crashed again beyond a few seconds of ff.
update:

it appears ff/rw crash so far is only associated with files with DTS-HDMA audio tracks. Both the Deer Hunter and the one I previous hard crashed has only DTS-HDMA (5.1 and 2.0) tracks. I tried again (you see how this "only one file per power cycle" quirk is so annoying for testing purposes) twice with The Meg and FF Hobbs & Shaw, both with Dolby TrueHD Atmos, ff/rw multiple times to various lengths, no crash...
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

I was relieved to see others experience the crash issue, and needing to turn it on/add after playing any DV ts file. I nearly went into town to have my X700 swapped assuming it was a fault. I’d also spent a while trying different HDMI cables and HDMI paths to no avail.

At the end of the day not a big deal, since I typically will watch an entire movie at once then turn it off anyway.

Some observations:
- Continuing to see lip sync is fine now having gotten away from LPCM. As mentioned above this was my experience a year or so ago with the X700 when I was just using it for HDR10.
- The crashing isn’t limited to DTS-HD in my experience, any DL DV ts file will cause the X700 to output a green screen until its turned off and on. Doesn’t happen with HDR10
- I’m finding the Atmos tracks on some of my Disney movies always cause the eac3 to crash partway through, meaning I can’t add Atmos to
these .ts files. Reading around it seems because eac3 uses some out of date libraries. There was talk of recompiling the source code with newer libraries. If there is a known easy solution here any tips are welcome.
- I’m finding fast forward (right up to x3) works fine. I think I’ve observed the crashing linked to the use of HDD vs SSD.
- Something id meant to ask: does watching .ts of HDR10 on the X700 pass through accurate maxfall etc data?

Cheers
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

built_to_chill wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 pm

- I’m finding the Atmos tracks on some of my Disney movies always cause the eac3 to crash partway through, meaning I can’t add Atmos to
these .ts files. Reading around it seems because eac3 uses some out of date libraries. There was talk of recompiling the source code with newer libraries. If there is a known easy solution here any tips are welcome.

Cheers
any tips ? yeah, remux the original .mpls from the disc directly with tsMuxer, no eac3to.
I'm guessing those Disney movies are seamless branching discs. tsMuxer handles those kinds of disc very well so far.

built_to_chill wrote:
- Something id meant to ask: does watching .ts of HDR10 on the X700 pass through accurate maxfall etc data?

Cheers
Yes, I have an HDfury Vertex and I confirm that the x700 output proper metadata with any HDR10 content. Of course as you know, DV must be turned off which is annoying.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

built_to_chill wrote:
I was relieved to see others experience the crash issue, and needing to turn it on/add after playing any DV ts file. I nearly went into town to have my X700 swapped assuming it was a fault. I’d also spent a while trying different HDMI cables and HDMI paths to no avail.

At the end of the day not a big deal, since I typically will watch an entire movie at once then turn it off anyway.

Some observations:
- Continuing to see lip sync is fine now having gotten away from LPCM. As mentioned above this was my experience a year or so ago with the X700 when I was just using it for HDR10.
- The crashing isn’t limited to DTS-HD in my experience, any DL DV ts file will cause the X700 to output a green screen until its turned off and on. Doesn’t happen with HDR10
- I’m finding fast forward (right up to x3) works fine. I think I’ve observed the crashing linked to the use of HDD vs SSD.

Cheers
...what's the purpose of all of that work? I'm confused. X700 can always play HDR10 and atmos off of the native m2ts file ripped from BDMV, what's all the conversion for?
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:46 pm
built_to_chill wrote:

Cheers
any tips ? yeah, remux the original .mpls from the disc directly with tsMuxer, no eac3to.
I'm guessing those Disney movies are seamless branching discs. tsMuxer handles those kinds of disc very well so far.

built_to_chill wrote:

Cheers
Yes, I have an HDfury Vertex and I confirm that the x700 output proper metadata with any HDR10 content. Of course as you know, DV must be turned off which is annoying.
Many thanks.
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm
built_to_chill wrote:

Some observations:

Cheers
...what's the purpose of all of that work? I'm confused. X700 can always play HDR10 and atmos off of the native m2ts file ripped from BDMV, what's all the conversion for?
I’ve spent well over a year ripping everything to mkv for use with a Vero 4K. So ideally I can write a script to convert everything rather than re-rip all my discs. Not a problem though to re-rip the odd one - seems there’s only a few I won’t be able to automate.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:24 pm
mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 pm
Interesting, so profile 04 doesnt’t have a different colorspace to UHD bluray, it seems in effect DL rolled in to a single layer.
It looks just like that.
Check out the LG demo video that I demuxed in one of my attempts (it's a yuv420p10le)
yusesope wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm
I think I'm onto something: I am also able to demux Single Layer DV files and transform them into Dual Layer DV files.
I made an attempt with the file you find HERE.
The result is this (HERE the DL file):

Code: Select all

Video #1
ID                                      : 1
Formato                                 : HEVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profilo formato                         : Main 10@L5@Main
ID codec                                : hev1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : High Efficiency Video Coding
Durata                                  : 1 min 14s
Bitrate                                 : 15,4 Mb/s
Larghezza                               : 3.840 pixel
Altezza                                 : 2.160 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 10 bit
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.077
Dimensione della traccia                : 137MiB (74%)
Default                                 : Si
AlternateGroup/String                   : 1
Data codifica                           : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Data                                    : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Codec configuration box                 : hvcC

Video #2
ID                                      : 2
Formato                                 : HEVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profilo formato                         : Main 10@L4@Main
Dolby Vision                            : 1.0, dvhe.04.06, EL+RPU
ID codec                                : hev1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : High Efficiency Video Coding
Durata                                  : 1 min 14s
Bitrate                                 : 5.519 kb/s
Larghezza                               : 1.920 pixel
Altezza                                 : 1.080 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 10 bit
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.111
Dimensione della traccia                : 49,0MiB (26%)
Default                                 : No
AlternateGroup/String                   : 1
Data codifica                           : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Data                                    : UTC 2020-02-28 19:23:55
Codec configuration box                 : hvcC+dvcC

ATD555 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:48 pm
I will be testing the SL DV files on my Hisense H8F when I get home and post the results. Also curious to know how to make them myself.
ATD555 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am
How did you create the single layer DV 7.06 BL+EL+RPU file?
ATD555 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 pm
This information is great but I think we are all interested in knowing how you created the Single Track Double Layer MP4 files so we can recreate and test with our own videos?
if you repeat it a fourth time, in front of a mirror, I could appear behind you.

As you may have guessed, the tool is currently under construction.
It is not found under stones or in bushes but must be written from scratch in my free time.
In this month I will be able to devote little time to this project so it seems right to explain what you need to do (since you still want to know it).

Help yourself with the image I attach.
After demuxing a Double Track Double Layer file you will find yourself with a HEVC raw stream relating to the Base Layer (BL.hevc, on the left) and with a HEVC raw stream relating to the Enhancement Layer (EL.hevc, on the right).
Now you have to create a HEVC raw stream where the two previous streams are mixed.

The rules are simple:
Take the NAL AUD units of the two streams as a reference (red for the BL stream and green for the EL stream) and alternate in the BL_EL_RPU.hevc stream (the one in the middle) the remaining NAL units included between the first ones (blue and yellow blocks) .
The image helps you understand the trend that must be respected.
But be sure to change the header of the NAL units in the EL stream. Immediately after the start prefix code of the individual NAL units (0x00000001) you must enter two bytes with a value of 0x7E01.

Code: Select all

for example a hypothetical NAL AUD 
0x00000001460110 
will become
0x000000017e01460110
The RPU metadata NAL unit (in light blue) must be transported without modification. The same applies to NAL units belonging to the BL stream.

The changes in the size of the individual NAL units in the BL_EL_RPU.hevc stream are due both to the insertion of the value 0x7E01 and, in some cases, to the replacement of the starting prefix code 0x000001 with 0x00000001 (it seems to be more appreciated by Dolby's mp4muxer tool) .

At the moment, given the lack of time, I don't know if other changes are needed.
Only by testing 10-second clips with the wrong colors will we be able to understand what adjustments to make. Bear in mind that at the moment I don't even have a display with Dolby Vision...

Now you have all the information you need to proceed!
You just have to repeat the same operation hundreds of thousands of times.
Happy movie night!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This was the information I needed for running my own tests, now I will stop bugging you and let you do your thing.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:26 pm
superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:46 pm

update:

it appears ff/rw crash so far is only associated with files with DTS-HDMA audio tracks. Both the Deer Hunter and the one I previous hard crashed has only DTS-HDMA (5.1 and 2.0) tracks. I tried again (you see how this "only one file per power cycle" quirk is so annoying for testing purposes) twice with The Meg and FF Hobbs & Shaw, both with Dolby TrueHD Atmos, ff/rw multiple times to various lengths, no crash...
nope. played Spectre (dts-hdma7.1), ff half the movie, no crash. can't say it's a dts-hdma issue.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 pm

nope. played Spectre (dts-hdma7.1), ff half the movie, no crash. can't say it's a dts-hdma issue.
Spectre is MEL DV. Deer Hunter is FEL DV.
perhaps that's the issue.

EDIT. ha, Hobbs is FEL too, so can't be it... dtshd + FEL then ?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

just thinking out loud here.. using tsmuxer for a ts container isn't ideal since it doesn't allow for atmos without an ac3 core, which let's the shield play properly it seems right? well if yusesope can edit the hex of hevc files to include the bl+el+rpu into one single track file, can that not be put into an mkv with true-hd non-ac3 atmos so that it plays on the shield and many other devices instead of mp4? I've read before that mkv CAN actually do dolby vision, it's just that it only allows for the reading of the elementary video track (single layer) and disgards the rest. until now there's been no way to make a single layer mkv, since we had to use dvdfab's mp4 only method, and demuxing said mp4 (or ts etc) resulted in an hevc with all dv info stripped. but this is modifying the hevc outside of a container, leaving us free to choose the one we want, no? or do we still lose dv info for some reason? I'll do more testing tomorrow to see if I'm making any sense.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 am
just thinking out loud here.. using tsmuxer for a ts container isn't ideal since it doesn't allow for atmos without an ac3 core, which let's the shield play properly it seems right? well if yusesope can edit the hex of hevc files to include the bl+el+rpu into one single track file, can that not be put into an mkv with true-hd non-ac3 atmos so that it plays on the shield and many other devices instead of mp4? I've read before that mkv CAN actually do dolby vision, it's just that it only allows for the reading of the elementary video track (single layer) and disgards the rest. until now there's been no way to make a single layer mkv, since we had to use dvdfab's mp4 only method, and demuxing said mp4 (or ts etc) resulted in an hevc with all dv info stripped. but this is modifying the hevc outside of a container, leaving us free to choose the one we want, no? or do we still lose dv info for some reason? I'll do more testing tomorrow to see if I'm making any sense.
What you could always try is demux the HEVC from those test BL+EL+RPU MP4 files and throw it into an MKV container and see if the Dolby Vision information is still there.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:09 am
Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 am
What you could always try is demux the HEVC from those test BL+EL+RPU MP4 files and throw it into an MKV container and see if the Dolby Vision information is still there.
I had a quick try using tsmuxer to demux the test mp4 then combined in mkvtools with an atmos track, it played in hdr not DV :(