Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mattmarsden

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mattmarsden »

What version of tsmuxer did you use?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:11 pm
What version of tsmuxer did you use?
This test build:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ion=locate

this version can also make DV m2ts
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

i'm so confused at this point,its incredible what is going on.
would anyone be kind enough too give me a summary of what we found out?
I have quite a lot of dual layer MKV movies. But yeah so far not a single way to play it over the shield TV Pro?
I'm really really bad with command line based programs. hope a GUI based one comes out.
I sound very selfish about all of this but can maybe someone make a video also about what to do at this point in time with your Dolby Vision movies,what programs to use etc.?
I have DVDfab and i keep reading single layer is bad,and now apparently the dual layer converter is as well?
Much appreciated

-Rosa
-TV: LG 55" 55SK7900PLA
-Player: Nvidia Shield TV Pro(new)
-Sound: LG dolby atmos sound system.
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:44 pm
I don't know why you guys say that Atmos (truehd+ac3 core) in a TS or M2TS container is not supported on PLEX-shield.

I just tried with a regular HDR10 file and Atmos works just fine.
I can only go off what others have said, I don't own a shield myself yet but am planning on purchasing one if this all works. So if they're wrong and atmos+ac3 does indeed work fine, then the only issue with a single layer dvdfab mp4 remuxed to TS with the bluray atmos audio added in is the colors are messed up? but the files yusesope edited play properly right?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

with the test build, i was able to create a single layer TS with atmos sample that works in PLEX/Shield.

but after that, I tried with a complete movie and tsMuxer test build won't accept my SL mp4. so went back to the first version that worked, and this version accepts my SL mp4 but then no audio on plex/shield.

here's the SL DV file with atmos that works on the shield. Notice how the dv profile went from 5.6 to 8.6
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBT7rm ... sp=sharing

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

if i take the full movie ts that wont play atmos on plex and remux it again in the test build this time, then atmos works...

so.... not ideal but this allow DV + atmos on plex shield.
1- create SL DV in dvdfab
2- create TS with atmos in build: nightly-2020-02-23--01-10-39.zip
3- remux again in test build: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ion=locate
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

^ Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is still using the video stream from the DVDFab Single Layer MP4 which is not true Dolby Vision right?

I think using DVDFab’s botched implementation of SL DV is a bad solution. We should really be striving to achieve true Dolby Vision. If we know DVDFab’s implementation of it is wrong, then we shouldn’t encourage using it.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:43 pm
superfans124 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 pm

nope. played Spectre (dts-hdma7.1), ff half the movie, no crash. can't say it's a dts-hdma issue.
Spectre is MEL DV. Deer Hunter is FEL DV.
perhaps that's the issue.

EDIT. ha, Hobbs is FEL too, so can't be it... dtshd + FEL then ?
yeah, I don't think I can draw any common denominator from my observations any more.

the previous "difficult" DV MP4 titles, "angel heart" "don't look now", they play fine as DL TS on X700, no crash, no fuss.

and I just crashed another one "joker", MEL I believe? + Atmos, ff first 1/3, was fine, r/w a little, was fine too, then ff a bit more, crashed to a halt.

did you ff/rw Deer Hunter fine?

right now, I give up in trying to find a common denominator (a confirmation bias trap), maybe when there isn't any to be found, but rather just bad individual disc, or bad individual original rip. Maybe we'll just go back to posting individual problematic titles we come across.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:22 am
if i take the full movie ts that wont play atmos on plex and remux it again in the test build this time, then atmos works...

so.... not ideal but this allow DV + atmos on plex shield.
1- create SL DV in dvdfab
2- create TS with atmos in build: nightly-2020-02-23--01-10-39.zip
3- remux again in test build: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ion=locate
Yeesh, that's definitely not ideal. Pretty great that the shield can finally play dv+atmos though, albeit with dvdfab :? here's hoping yusesope's method is full dv and streamlines the process and that my script simplifies everything down to just one click again. there's still a chance that single layer dv mkv might work too.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

FusionNeo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 am
^ Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is still using the video stream from the DVDFab Single Layer MP4 which is not true Dolby Vision right?

I think using DVDFab’s botched implementation of SL DV is a bad solution. We should really be striving to achieve true Dolby Vision. If we know DVDFab’s implementation of it is wrong, then we shouldn’t encourage using it.
I totally hear you, but honestly it's actually so close it's almost not even noticeable. have you looked at the comparison tests folks over on the shield forum have done?
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 am
FusionNeo wrote:

I totally hear you, but honestly it's actually so close it's almost not even noticeable. have you looked at the comparison tests folks over on the shield forum have done?
No, I’d definitely be interested in seeing them if you wouldn’t mind linking them. I was put off once it was discovered that it was inaccurate but I haven’t seen any comparisons, if it truly is close enough then I’ll be satisfied. I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on an X700 but I currently own the Shield Pro so if I could save the money I’d be happy to.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FusionNeo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:00 am
Grencola wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 am
FusionNeo wrote:

No, I’d definitely be interested in seeing them if you wouldn’t mind linking them. I was put off once it was discovered that it was inaccurate but I haven’t seen any comparisons, if it truly is close enough then I’ll be satisfied. I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on an X700 but I currently own the Shield Pro so if I could save the money I’d be happy to.
actually, I find the difference to be quite big but this is just my opinion. I was just showing people who don't really care about color accuracy how to watch DV+ atmos right now on the shield.
https://slow.pics/c/sM475cTm

https://forums.plex.tv/t/some-thoughts- ... ols/536340
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

FusionNeo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:00 am
https://forums.plex.tv/t/some-thoughts- ... ols/536340

edit: RESET_9999 beat me to it
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

superfans124 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:50 am

did you ff/rw Deer Hunter fine?

No, I almost never FF/RW when I watch a movie. Only tested FF with Jumanji 2017 and it was fine. Anyway I'm ok with random crash on FF.
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I do see a pretty big difference in color accuracy between the DV SL created by DVDFab and the DL DV rip, not just in Joker but in the screenshot from Hereditary as well. Oh well.