Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Angryunibrow

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Angryunibrow »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:21 am
is it free ? since I own a x700, I'm not very interrested in paying for SL.
Unfortunately not
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 pm
IMO, the shield just cannot play both BL and EL... so we get BL+RPU
Starting to get the feeling this is the case. Disappointing if true.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

So I did the entire movie The Meg with DTS-HD MA 7.1

File played on the Shield
File played on the native Plex App on my C8 (others were having issues, mine played just fine - I'm on Wifi because of the 100Mb nic on the TV)

Really have no way in telling the difference between the two (if there was any)
Would like to know if the Shield, and or the TV is playing this correctly when muxed in a SL file.

Disappointing in the screen shots posted earlier.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

My personal opinion on the matter is that this is a major breakthrough. If you have a Shield or a TV then you unfortunately have to deal with what you got for now until you eventually get your hands on a Sony x700 or Oppo.

Fortunately, the x700 is within an affordable price range for most people.

It would be nice to know why the slight difference in black level is occurring.
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

While comparison of screen shots is helpful to rule out SL matching DL, it will take more than subjective comparison of a handful of frames to re-assure me SL is genuine DV.

While DV truly started to shine for me post OLED calibration (I cant overstate what a difference that made and is why I’m following the developments in this thread) DV is, arguably, and in most cases, only an incremental improvement over HDR10. So unless one can be a 100% sure it’s the real article, I don’t see why you’d bother with all the inconvenience of remuxing etc. You might actually be making things worse than the HDR10. I appreciate some have said SL does look better to them, even if the colours are less accurate, in which case fair enough. But if I knew there was any risk the colours were less accurate, personally I’d prefer to stick with HDR10.

Anyhow a couple of questions occurred, and apologies if answered elsewhere:
- Does the Dolby labs tool (or any Dolby authorised software) allow conversion from DL to SL Dolby vision? It offer some re-assurance that it is technically possible, without needing to go back to the master.
- Are there any examples of the same material being “officially” authored in SL and DL, so it could be objectively determined whether the DL -> SL conversion produces what would have come out of the studio? Obviously these files exist somewhere - where a movie exist in DV on both a UHD and in iTunes. I just don’t know if such SL iTunes movie files ever fall off the back of a lorry allowing such a comparison.
LucasSimba

Post by LucasSimba »

Just tested with Joker on a Sony 4K TV (XF9005). It works with Plex, but not with MX Player (only HDR was detected) and Sony's own player.

But for some reason, the image is really red/pink. Somebody has the same problem? (see De Niro's face)

I used yusesope's tool to have single DV, then I used mp4muxer. It might be a Plex problem, but it would surprise me.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

Well I'm more positive about this method - I've used Cliffhanger DV as my test. I've got an LG C9 that can play both dual layer and the single layer files created by Yuescope and I have to say they both look identical. I use this title as the SL file created by DVDfab had obvious colour problems but the Yuescope version doesn't. Still need to do some more testing before I can say I'm perfectly happy. The Yuescope SL file played on the Sheild looks the same as played on the C9 so that again is quite positive. Its difficult to do comparisons between different devices as they can output significantly differently - the Oppo 203 uses the same SOC as the Sony X700 but looks quite different.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

100% agree with @built_to_chill

This is DV; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voePq29-U6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do6l3frfLcQ

I only want it if is 100% DV with correct colors and all correct, if not, HDR is better
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

LucasSimba wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:17 am
Just tested with Joker on a Sony 4K TV (XF9005). It works with Plex, but not with MX Player (only HDR was detected) and Sony's own player.

But for some reason, the image is really red/pink. Somebody has the same problem? (see De Niro's face)

I used yusesope's tool to have single DV, then I used mp4muxer. It might be a Plex problem, but it would surprise me.
I have the same TV and I posted the results of the test in previous pages

Basically the profiles doesn't work

You say "work" on Plex but not on Sony Player?

Thats the key, Plex can't do magic, Plex only can play what your TV can

But don't worry, at the moment is not correct DV even with players can play it
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

There are however many positive aspects.
  • I believe I have reached the level of DVDFab. I modified the source code to take into account only the RPU NALs (you can find it HERE) to create a BL + RPU file.
    Simply rename the file in the "src" folder by adding the ".old" extension and copy the new file in the same folder.
    I would not be surprised if the raw HEVC stream (obtained after demuxing the DVDfab mp4 file) was the same as mine after an analysis with an HEX editor (for example FlexHex, menu Search-> Compare)
  • The idea of ​​how the RPU NALs (UNSPEC_62) and those related to the Enhancement Layer (UNSPEC_63) combine with each other (as I said in THIS post) seems valid. In support of my idea, mp4muxer (Dolby's tool) accepts my files without returning errors and then I successfully demuxed the LG demo file (THIS post) into its BL and EL + RPU components (using the inverse of my technique). I also believe that other people involved in "defeating" Dolby Vision (for example, the developers of Open tsMuxeR) may find my idea at least "interesting".
    • Suboptimal reproduction on LG C8 is good news. In my opinion, the file is correctly recognized but what I said in the last lines of THIS post (about dvhe.04) occurs. On LG C9 (thanks to @mattmarsden), much more powerful, the problem does not arise (at least for a film ... Cliffhanger also has a fairly large FEL ... it's about a quarter of the Base Layer ... it's a good sign).
      Who knows how it would be reproduced on an OPPO
    • The X700 may have compatibility issues with the mp4 container. Maybe with a TS ... who knows?
    • The Shield instead "worried" me already when some of you reported the correct functioning of the files with profile dvhe.07.06. In my opinion, some fallback mechanism takes over and the playback is started with dvhe.05 profile (thus ignoring EL). The images of @RESET_9999 (which I thank) may not be the absolute truth ...

It is not the end yet...

hepe9 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 am
Aside from complaining a lot, what is your contribution to the discussion?
I am ready to listen to your ideas...
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

LucasSimba wrote:

Thanks. I was planning to do exactly the same test (Joker UHD > SL DV > Mp4muxer > XF9005). :mrgreen:
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

LucasSimba wrote:

Take a look here:
yusesope wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm
If instead I choose to play my files with the profiles dvhe.05 and dvhe.08 (useful for processing Single Track Single Layer files (BL + RPU)), the hardware decoder will try to process the Base Layer (BL) and to improve it through RPU metadata by discarding the EL layer.
however, the Base Layer is non-standard (it has a different color space than the IPTPQc2/IPT one) as extracted from a Bluray disk.
It should appear better than an HDR stream (since metadata is dynamic and non-static) but will not reach its maximum splendor due to the lack of data contained in the EL layer.
The lack of this information, however, could lead, in some cases, to evident chromatic aberrations.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Shield can’t process 2 streams into one output, whether that be Dolby Vision or MVC.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

@yusesope I'm so sorry if you think I'm just complaining, it's not my intention
ragico

Post by ragico »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:07 pm
There are however many positive aspects.
  • I believe I have reached the level of DVDFab. I modified the source code to take into account only the RPU NALs (you can find it HERE) to create a BL + RPU file.
    Simply rename the file in the "src" folder by adding the ".old" extension and copy the new file in the same folder.
    I would not be surprised if the raw HEVC stream (obtained after demuxing the DVDfab mp4 file) was the same as mine after an analysis with an HEX editor (for example FlexHex, menu Search-> Compare)
  • The idea of ​​how the RPU NALs (UNSPEC_62) and those related to the Enhancement Layer (UNSPEC_63) combine with each other (as I said in THIS post) seems valid. In support of my idea, mp4muxer (Dolby's tool) accepts my files without returning errors and then I successfully demuxed the LG demo file (THIS post) into its BL and EL + RPU components (using the inverse of my technique). I also believe that other people involved in "defeating" Dolby Vision (for example, the developers of Open tsMuxeR) may find my idea at least "interesting".
    • Suboptimal reproduction on LG C8 is good news. In my opinion, the file is correctly recognized but what I said in the last lines of THIS post (about dvhe.04) occurs. On LG C9 (thanks to @mattmarsden), much more powerful, the problem does not arise (at least for a film ... Cliffhanger also has a fairly large FEL ... it's about a quarter of the Base Layer ... it's a good sign).
      Who knows how it would be reproduced on an OPPO
    • The X700 may have compatibility issues with the mp4 container. Maybe with a TS ... who knows?
    • The Shield instead "worried" me already when some of you reported the correct functioning of the files with profile dvhe.07.06. In my opinion, some fallback mechanism takes over and the playback is started with dvhe.05 profile (thus ignoring EL). The images of @RESET_9999 (which I thank) may not be the absolute truth ...

It is not the end yet...

hepe9 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 am
Aside from complaining a lot, what is your contribution to the discussion?
I am ready to listen to your ideas...
Thanks for your work and researches. I am learning a lot from you.