Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
baker99

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by baker99 »

Interesting and definitely good progress, even if the Shield ends up not being the super box we'd all hoped for. I can't wait to see where this goes next, I'm currently doing a full movie SL mux to see how it looks on my setup.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 am
Well I'm more positive about this method - I've used Cliffhanger DV as my test. I've got an LG C9 that can play both dual layer and the single layer files created by Yuescope and I have to say they both look identical. I use this title as the SL file created by DVDfab had obvious colour problems but the Yuescope version doesn't. Still need to do some more testing before I can say I'm perfectly happy. The Yuescope SL file played on the Sheild looks the same as played on the C9 so that again is quite positive. Its difficult to do comparisons between different devices as they can output significantly differently - the Oppo 203 uses the same SOC as the Sony X700 but looks quite different.
Cliffhanger is not a Dolby Vision movie, why are you using this as a test?
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

The Studio Canal version is DV, the Sony one isn't.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:36 pm
The Studio Canal version is DV, the Sony one isn't.
Sorry, my bad
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

So what's the current preferred player for DV? I'm currently using the emby app on my C9, which works pretty well but the ethernet port is only 100mbs and there's no way to use lossless audio. The X700 still only has 100mbs LAN, and I'd rather use some kind of native app instead of messing around with DLNA. The Shield seems like a good choice, but I'd really like to have dual layer support.
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

mrhollywood wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:38 pm
So what's the current preferred player for DV? I'm currently using the emby app on my C9, which works pretty well but the ethernet port is only 100mbs and there's no way to use lossless audio. The X700 still only has 100mbs LAN, and I'd rather use some kind of native app instead of messing around with DLNA. The Shield seems like a good choice, but I'd really like to have dual layer support.
You’ve pretty much summed up the pros and cons of each one pretty well. :lol:

The only other player I know of is the M9702, which is an OPPO UDP-203 clone. Do some research, there is a website that does a group buy for $320 but the normal selling price is $400. It has a 1Gb Ethernet port but you’re still limited to DLNA, can’t use Plex.

Unfortunately no player has it all.

Give it time though, if you can use eARC on the C9 then if the tsMuxer people can figure out why the files won’t playback on the LG OLED TVs and fix that bug you’ll have lossless audio with DV and Emby. You'll still be limited by that 100Mbps Ethernet port though.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Successfully made a SL DV mux of Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, it plays well on the Shield.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

FusionNeo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 pm
mrhollywood wrote:

The only other player I know of is the M9702, which is an OPPO UDP-203 clone. Do some research, there is a website that does a group buy for $320 but the normal selling price is $400. It has a 1Gb Ethernet port but you’re still limited to DLNA, can’t use Plex.

Give it time though, if you can use eARC on the C9 then if the tsMuxer people can figure out why the files won’t playback on the LG OLED TVs and fix that bug you’ll have lossless audio with DV and Emby. You'll still be limited by that 100Mbps Ethernet port though.
I'm keeping my eye on this device: https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... 2020.2404/ hoping it will be the first to do dual-layer as it's been requested to the devs for months during production, and they've already said the full dolby license has been paid. it's not an official Netflix or Amazon etc certified device, so if it can't do dv with DRM services, I don't see why else they need a dolby vision license. anyway it's out in 3 weeks so we'll see.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:26 pm
FusionNeo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 pm
mrhollywood wrote:

I'm keeping my eye on this device: https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... 2020.2404/ hoping it will be the first to do dual-layer as it's been requested to the devs for months during production, and they've already said the full dolby license has been paid. it's not an official Netflix or Amazon etc certified device, so if it can't do dv with DRM services, I don't see why else they need a dolby vision license. anyway it's out in 3 weeks so we'll see.
i don't know how you did it, but you're tool works better then dvdfab...
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Here are several clips of 23 seconds each relating to the Joker movie (with the iconic scene that has been discussed HERE on the Plex forum).
You can also find the original HEVC raw streams *** and those obtained with my program (the BL_EL_RPU version HERE, and the second BL_RPU iteration HERE).

I also muxed the Bluray disc with DVDFab and after an analysis with a hexadecimal editor, the file obtained is identical to what can be obtained with my program - second iteration)

If you want to share files on other forums too, there is no problem for me.

EDIT by Mike: MKV files for samples above - http://www.makemkv.com/download/dv/

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i bluray:D:\Joker_BD -map 0:0 -ss 19 -to 42 -c copy D:\Joker_BL.hevc
ffmpeg -i bluray:D:\Joker_BD -map 0:1 -ss 19 -to 42 -c copy D:\Joker_EL.hevc
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm
Here are several clips of 23 seconds each relating to the Joker movie (with the iconic scene that has been discussed HERE on the Plex forum).
You can also find the original HEVC raw streams *** and those obtained with my program (the BL_EL_RPU version HERE, and the second BL_RPU iteration HERE).

I also muxed the Bluray disc with DVDFab and after an analysis with a hexadecimal editor, the file obtained is identical to what can be obtained with my program - second iteration)

This will be good for testing/comparison. So have we just essentially found out how DVDFab has been making their Single Layer DV files?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

ATD555 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:52 pm

This will be good for testing/comparison. So have we just essentially found out how DVDFab has been making their Single Layer DV files?

I really think so. If you have desire and patience, you can check for yourself.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Wow

This is the perfect comparasion
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm
ATD555 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:52 pm

I really think so. If you have desire and patience, you can check for yourself.
I'm hoping TSMuxer devs update their program so that the BL+EL+RPU hevc can be preserved. Obviously Dual Layer will produce more accurate results (for now) but for those out there who can only play Single Layer this is the best we got right now.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:26 pm
Why that device is special?

They are many android devices with DV, they confirmed that device can read DV DL?

The price is similar to x700

Edit: I read the forums and the answers to your question is just is the first device with the exact cpu comes with DV, and yes they pay to Dolby, like all the devices come with it, but no respond to your question if he play DV DL, be careful and read until buy, or buy if you can return
Last edited by hepe9 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.