Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ATD555

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ATD555 »

mrhollywood wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:36 pm
ATD555 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:40 am

LG Oled C9 via external hdd.

One question though: Gemini man dolby vision does not play at the correct 60 fps using the original method (remux two HEVCs layers into an MP4 container using mp4muxer). Will it play correctly using the new method (remux two HEVCs layers into an .ts container using yusesope's tool)?
You should try using TSMuxer and just throw the original video file in it and remux to a .ts using this build of TSMuxer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gq5TA ... B1io4OwHW9
I have a C9, and .ts files do not work (at least with the internal emby app)
Try the built in player that LG made
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

ATD555 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:00 pm
mrhollywood wrote:
ATD555 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 pm

You should try using TSMuxer and just throw the original video file in it and remux to a .ts using this build of TSMuxer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gq5TA ... B1io4OwHW9
As far as I'm aware all the apps like plex/emby are just front-ends for the internal player, so loading it off a hard drive shouldn't make much difference.
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

mrhollywood wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm
ATD555 wrote:
mrhollywood wrote:

As far as I'm aware all the apps like plex/emby are just front-ends for the internal player, so loading it off a hard drive shouldn't make much difference.
I have a B9, and haven't been able to get any .ts files to play through the TV's player, or other apps.

Can anyone with a Nvidia Shield upload a working sample DV .ts file? I've tried multiple movies, and multiple different builds of tsMuxer, but all of them will only activate HDR. Thank you.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Arbigator wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:51 pm
mrhollywood wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm
ATD555 wrote:

I have a B9, and haven't been able to get any .ts files to play through the TV's player, or other apps.

Can anyone with a Nvidia Shield upload a working sample DV .ts file? I've tried multiple movies, and multiple different builds of tsMuxer, but all of them will only activate HDR. Thank you.
The sample posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=1485#p85786 activates DV and Atmos on the Shield. Have you tried opening your files in mediainfo to see what's listed?
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:49 pm

The sample posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=1485#p85786 activates DV and Atmos on the Shield. Have you tried opening your files in mediainfo to see what's listed?
Thanks for that link, that file plays back correctly. Oddly enough, I hadn't looked at the mediainfo. Doing so now, the files I created show this for the video: SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

None of them show Dolby Vision in mediainfo, not even the HEVC file output by yusesope's tool... I guess something is going wrong there then?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Arbigator wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:20 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Thanks for that link, that file plays back correctly. Oddly enough, I hadn't looked at the mediainfo. Doing so now, the files I created show this for the video: SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

None of them show Dolby Vision in mediainfo, not even the HEVC file output by yusesope's tool... I guess something is going wrong there then?
Yeah that seems likely to be the issue. The only file I've tried is listed as Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible, same as the one in the post I linked. Are you also using the same tsmuxer version linked in that post?
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:24 pm
Arbigator wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:20 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Yeah that seems likely to be the issue. The only file I've tried is listed as Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible, same as the one in the post I linked. Are you also using the same tsmuxer version linked in that post?
Yes, I am using that version. I've tried others as well. Hmm... This is weird that it's working for everyone else.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

what movies have you tried? I can maybe give it a try later tonight if I have it in my library
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm
Here are several clips of 23 seconds each relating to the Joker movie
First of all , thanks a lot for doing this! You did write the history.

Now, to avoid some confusion, let me sum it up and please correct me if I'm wrong on any account.

DV streams may have different profiles and configurations.
Single layer: Video + RPU stream
Double layer: Video (base) layer + Video (extension) layer (difference between 12bit and 10bit picture) + RPU stream.

Profile 7 is always double-layer and may be authored in FEL (full EL) or MEL configuration (minimal EL). In MEL configuration the video extension layer contains all zero pictures (no 12-bit data) and could be safely discarded.

Old devices with old DV profile 7 implementation don't know about MEL and require EL stream.
Some new "slow and crappy" devices can only decode profile 7 MEL configuration and choke on non-empty EL stream.

Double layer configuration may be encoded as single-PID or dual-PID in M2TS file. Note: "Double layer" is not equal to "dual-PID", and in fact these are orthogonal.

Conversion from dual-PID encoding to single-PID encoding is publicly documented in freely-available Dolby encoding spec, and implemented in dolby mp4muxer.

UHD Blu-ray always use DV profile 7 double-layer in M2TS container, in FEL or MEL configuration, encoded as dual-PID.

The "Joker" sample is dvhe.07 double-layer MEL stream.
Joker_BL_EL_RPU ("my program - first version") is a full double-layer transcode from dual-PID to single-PID encoding: BL + EL + RPU.
Joker_BL_RPU ("second version - identical to that of DVDFab") is MEL-optimized transcoding from dual-PID to single-PID encoding: BL + RPU. The (empty) EL is dropped.
Both samples can be easily encoded as MKV, and available at http://www.makemkv.com/download/dv/

(a) Most devices should be able to play both MKV samples.
(b) Devices with old implementation could choke on Joker_BL_EL_RPU
(c) Low-power devices may only handle Joker_BL_RPU. These devices won't be able to play FEL streams.

Please try both samples and post the results. Also, as mentioned before, please point out if you see anything wrong. If everything looks good, then probably we should start a "compatibility" thread with a summary sticky post like:
device - compatibility status.

Also, can anyone find a good sample for FEL stream of roughly the same duration - 23 seconds, about 100 MB? Please PM/email me if you have M2TS and I'll produce MKV out of it.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

are you saying those 2 mkv samples should trigger DV ? just looking at the mediainfo, there isnt any EL or RPU information
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:14 pm
what movies have you tried? I can maybe give it a try later tonight if I have it in my library
I tried Joker, Doctor Sleep, First Man, and Spectre.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm
are you saying those 2 mkv samples should trigger DV ? just looking at the mediainfo, there isnt any EL or RPU information
Yes. Guess not so much software could handle DV in MKV yet...
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

Tried both MKV files on a 2019 Shield via Plex, and a LG B9 via the plex app with no Dolby Vision. HDR playback only.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:56 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm
Yes. Guess not so much software could handle DV in MKV yet...
That's been the case and I don't see it changing any time soon. :(
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

@mike_admin as regards the Sony X700 I’m afraid DV in mkv won’t work. If I gather correctly your asking for feedback for different devices.

As you may be aware the X700 has a strange DV implementation that does not auto-engage. It is either on for all UHDs (forced DV where there is no DV) or off for all UHDs.

This behaviour is the same for .ts files. But, by contrast, DV is effectively forced off for mkvs.