Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
vegitto4

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by vegitto4 »

Hi everyone. Any news/updates about play files with DV on Sony TVs? I have a 49xf9005 and files don't play well (bad colours, much red...) with software players.

Thank you
tr000

Post by tr000 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am
ah...I see, so these mkv remuxes that still have both bl and el tracks intact are scene releases :wink:
uhd disc -> dvdfab bdmv folder -> mkvtoolnix mkv remux
oh yea i get that now, i was just referring to that youtube video posted earlier that showed off the other source :lol:. not judging, i’ve done my share of it in the past. out of curiosity though, are you doing that mkv route and including the secondary DV track purely for archival purposes? is the bdmv folder backup not enough?

@tr000, did you run yusecopes tool in -mode 2? that’ll get you a BL+RPU file similar to the dvdfab method that’s meant for profile 5. running the tool without it gets you the EL in its own layer (BL+EL+RPU) that’s not compatible with profile 5. Besides that, yusecope has mentioned in the past that his tool is only meant to be used off of the demuxed tracks from the original decrypted m2ts files. He did not account for any alterations that might’ve happened in the mkv remux process so results will be hit or miss
I did indeed use mode 2. I also was able to get the Blu-ray .m2ts, and the .hevc yusesope's tool made muxed successfully in Dolby's mp4muxer...but it was a garbled mess on my TV. DV data was coming through though, because I could see the TV brightness changing. Very odd. I'll grab the remuxed .mkv again and see what I can do.
sureshm3 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:55 am
sureshm3 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm
Thank you! I ran the command below but the muxer seems to read the whole hevc file in and writes nothing. I end up with a 0 kb output file. Any clues as to what I am doing wrong? I used tsmuxer to extract the hevc files from the original m2ts.

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --output-file mp4_dv.mp4
I think you have to wait a bit more. your cmd-line seems right.

The muxer works this way:
1- read the whole file
2- does some unknown work for a couple of minutes ( 10-20 min depending on the length of the movie)
3- then start writing the mp4
Thanks, I let it run for longer and got 1917 and Joker working on my C9. So happy with the results.
Yep, these two films also worked great for me.
jcdr428 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm
badrobot wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:21 pm
profile 6 is out of official guarantee.
shield supports profile 4,5,8
Edit: And profile 8 will also be deprecated very soon. Dolby is cutting all compatibility with HDR10 in favour of proprietary IPT colourspace. This does not mean that these profiles are "out of official guarantee". As far as I know, all SoC reading profile 5 also read profile 8, and all SoC reading profile 4 also read profile 6 as they have similar RPU structure.
My TCL tv plays profile 4 and 5 in DV, it won't do 6 or 8.
box4m wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Someone wanna help a noob and explain how i get a working .mp4 from mp4muxer that has sound in it? Maybe mp4muxer doesnt do sound? Cmdwindow gets spammed with:
ERR: lost dd sync. resync

If i try muxing it with newest TXMUSER it plays sometimes but sound is chopping up and it barely plays.

Thanks

edit: im using mpxplayer on shield, maybe thats why(?)
This occurs if you're using an Atmos AC3 track. What is your workflow? Where are the files you're putting in MP4Muxer from, exactly?
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Does any of you got the error message in ffmpeg

bd_open() failed
bluray:: I/O error

while launching ffmpeg -i bluray: D:\your_uhd_bluray_foler\ -map 0:0 -c copy D:\output\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy D:\output\EL.hevc
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but if profile 5 is single layer, then wouldn't it work in MKV format without any modifications? As far as I have read the only thing preventing DV in MKV is the lack of handling multiple layers. MKV is a lot for convenient for use over TS.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

jcdr428 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:29 pm
badrobot wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am
And, according to the help information of Dolby’s open source mp4muxer, Profile 4 has HDR compatibility?

Code: Select all

--dv-profile <arg>                 = Sets the Dolby Vision profile. This option is MANDATORY for
                                      DoVi elementary stream: Valid profile values are:
                                      4 - dvhe.04, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      5 - dvhe.05, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: None.
                                      7 - dvhe.07, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: Blue-ray HDR10.
                                      8 - dvhe.08, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      9 - dvav.09, BL codec: AVC;    EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR
mp4muxer profile 6 has been removed on 12 Feb 20. The latest document DolbyVisionProfilesLevels_v1_3_2_2019_09_16.pdf mentions BL compatibility with SDR (VUI 1,1,1) only. I've asked Dolby mp4muxer developper on Github to clarify compatibility with CTA HDR10, and whether the document would be revised accordingly.
Answer from Dolby: "Profile 4 is a Dolby Vision specific dual layer format where the base layer is SDR ( BT.1886, ITU-R BT.709, YCbCr 4:2:0) and then the enhancement layer contains the Dolby Vision data. So its is only cross compatible with SDR and not HDR10. That is why the current profile and levels doc was updated to reflect that."
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

jcdr428 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm
jcdr428 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:29 pm
badrobot wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am
And, according to the help information of Dolby’s open source mp4muxer, Profile 4 has HDR compatibility?

Code: Select all

--dv-profile <arg>                 = Sets the Dolby Vision profile. This option is MANDATORY for
                                      DoVi elementary stream: Valid profile values are:
                                      4 - dvhe.04, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      5 - dvhe.05, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: None.
                                      7 - dvhe.07, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: Blue-ray HDR10.
                                      8 - dvhe.08, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      9 - dvav.09, BL codec: AVC;    EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR
mp4muxer profile 6 has been removed on 12 Feb 20. The latest document DolbyVisionProfilesLevels_v1_3_2_2019_09_16.pdf mentions BL compatibility with SDR (VUI 1,1,1) only. I've asked Dolby mp4muxer developper on Github to clarify compatibility with CTA HDR10, and whether the document would be revised accordingly.
Answer from Dolby: "Profile 4 is a Dolby Vision specific dual layer format where the base layer is SDR ( BT.1886, ITU-R BT.709, YCbCr 4:2:0) and then the enhancement layer contains the Dolby Vision data. So its is only cross compatible with SDR and not HDR10. That is why the current profile and levels doc was updated to reflect that."
So Profile 6 is the only profile (besides 5 & 7) that we can create from the tools we have, but are not "officially" supported from Dolby anymore.
And we would need exoplayer to add this back in, and also Plex to make sure they use it to be fully compatible?
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Okay.. I couldn't let go of Gemini Man on my LG C8.

It appears that when I use Dolby Lab's mp4muxer version 1.0.0 (v1.0.1 is broken) and I mux both the base and enhanced layer separately using --dv-profile 7 and ac3 audio. It DOES indeed play when I turn off all processing options on my TV (motion blah, noise reduction blah etc..).
It still stutters a very tiny bit though..(probably because the movie is 60fps).

But I can't achieve the same when I 'blend' both layers using yusesope's tool in mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU).
I tried to mux the resulting hevc with both mp4muxer (profile 4) and the latest tsmuxer nightly (which gives it profile 6).

In both muxes it skips every one-two seconds.

That makes me wonder whether the BL+EL+RPU 'merged' videos somehow differ from dual layer (profile 7) muxes.

Because I would imagine that blending them together with yusesope's tool would make it easier for the TV to decode since it's a single track..
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

MastaG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm

It appears that when I use Dolby Lab's mp4muxer version 1.0.0 (v1.0.1 is broken) and I mux both the base and enhanced layer separately using --dv-profile 7 and ac3 audio. It DOES indeed play when I turn off all processing options on my TV (motion blah, noise reduction blah etc..).
It still stutters a very tiny bit though..(probably because the movie is 60fps).

But I can't achieve the same when I 'blend' both layers using yusesope's tool in mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU).
I tried to mux the resulting hevc with both mp4muxer (profile 4) and the latest tsmuxer nightly (which gives it profile 6).

That makes me wonder whether the BL+EL+RPU 'merged' videos somehow differ from dual layer (profile 7) muxes.

Because I would imagine that blending them together with yusesope's tool would make it easier for the TV to decode since it's a single track..
Have you also tried muxing yusecope's resulting hevc in profile 7 with mp4muxer?
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:01 pm
MastaG wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Have you also tried muxing yusecope's resulting hevc in profile 7 with mp4muxer?
Good one!
I haven't with v1.0.0, good one :)
I'll try and report back.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mrhollywood wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:26 pm
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but if profile 5 is single layer, then wouldn't it work in MKV format without any modifications? As far as I have read the only thing preventing DV in MKV is the lack of handling multiple layers. MKV is a lot for convenient for use over TS.
technically yes, but mkvtoolnix needs to add the proper dv descriptors first similar to what tsmuxer has done. right now it makes an mkv fine but loses the dv data in process.
ragico

Post by ragico »

@MastaG
I remember Yusesope recommended to me tu use profile 5, about 40 pages back.
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

FYI, seems like DV has been triggered also for Elephant Man!
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

Grencola wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm
mrhollywood wrote:
technically yes, but mkvtoolnix needs to add the proper dv descriptors first similar to what tsmuxer has done. right now it makes an mkv fine but loses the dv data in process.
Who do we talk too to make that happen :D
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:48 pm
Who do we talk too to make that happen :D
https://www.matroska.org/contact/index.html 8)
tr000

Post by tr000 »

Grencola wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm
mrhollywood wrote:
This is basically just what mp4muxer does (for an mp4), that's why the actual .exe is so small.