Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

TickTock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 am
The clip @shawnc22 posted here:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 613#p88613

works on my TV but when I attempted to create the same film it plays with a black screen and sound. The strange thing is both the clip and the film I created have exactly the same HDR format info:
HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
I'm trying to work out why my TV plays the clip but not the film.
My clip was made with yusecope's tool in the default mode. You may want to give that another try if you're using the video track from makemkv. I'm honestly not sure which version of tsmuxer will work correctly with the video tracks that makemkv is now generating. Even though all the mediainfo have looked good, sometimes the video track is just not getting picked up on playback. I thought I had the issue narrowed down to HDR10+ and recent versions of tsmuxer, but there've been so many reports of other films that I've just gone back to the old method (yusecope's tool) of making my TS remuxes. I've never had an issue with the video track not being picked up with yusecope's tool and any versions of tsmuxer. Most of my testing have been done on the shield, so I can't really speak to what should and shouldn't work on a TV's internal player.
parapata

Post by parapata »

1 makemkv
2 TsMuxer dvhe.04 (ts)
3 Nvdia shield 2019 pro
4 Mx pro
Perfect DV-ATMOS-SUBT
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

TickTock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 am
badrobot wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 am
TickTock wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:30 pm

Did you link to the correct version? I ask because I used the version you linked to and it created a file with:

I aborted the process because when I used w64-nightly2020-04-07--02-11-14 it created a file with the same output and that file plays as HDR10 on my TV. I'm trying to work out how to create a file with profile 5 because The Mandalorian plays perfectly on my TV:

you got dhve 06.06 because you used mode 1 of yusesope's tool, and the new version of tsmuxer.
It seems that you download the wrong file ? I have tested the link. the date of tsmuxer.exe must be 2020-03-30.
mode 1 of yusesope's tool ——>BL+EL+RPU ——> dhve 04.06(old version of temuxer, I posted the link) or 06.06(new version of tsmuxer)
mode 2 of yusesope's tool ——>BL+RPU ——> dhve 05.06(old version of temuxer , I posted the link) or 08.06(new version of tsmuxer)
Oh, I used MakeMKV and tsMuxeR to create the file, I had tried yusesope's tool on a couple of films with mode 1 but they didn't work. I tried yusesope's tool with mode set as 2 and then used tsMuxeR and the film works perfectly, with the version of tsMuxeR you linked to (dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU) and the latest version (dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU). This is the first time I've been able to create a full playable Dolby Vision film. Thank you for your response and help :).

Do you know of a method to create working Dolby Vision films with?:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU
The clip @shawnc22 posted here:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 613#p88613

works on my TV but when I attempted to create the same film it plays with a black screen and sound. The strange thing is both the clip and the film I created have exactly the same HDR format info:

I'm trying to work out why my TV plays the clip but not the film.
you need dhve 04.06? follow this:
1/ use ffmpeg to extract the BL to BL.hevc, EL+RPU to EL_RPU.hevc.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -i d:\your_input_file.m2ts -map 0:0 -c copy d:\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy d:\EL_RPU.hevc
2/ use mode 1 of yusesope's tool to mix BL.hevc and EL+RPU.hevc. example output file name FULL.hevc

Code: Select all

python BL_EL_RPU_BUILDER.py -bl d:\BL.hevc -el d:\EL_RPU.hevc -of d:\FULL.hevc
3/ use old version of tsmuxer to remux FULL.hevc and sound track from m2ts(or other video file)

Bingo!
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

parapata wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 pm
3 Nvdia shield 2019 pro
4 Mx pro
has nvidia pushed a universal match frame rate toggle? I thought MX pro plays 24p movies in 60p, unless the entire shield gui is forced to 24p which makes it slow and jittery? Plex app supports proper frame rate matching.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Grencola wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:14 am
mulucy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 am
There is a better box; it's called Ugoos M6 Plus with supports for Dolby Vision and HDR10+. There is a good review on this YouTube channel for this box link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx3BxCmgL6U&t=17s, fast forward it to 20:45 where he demonstrates it with a native player. According to the channel, it's the best box at the moment with proper AFR switch and on par with Nvidia Shield 2019 when it comes to overall performance. The channel is on Russian ( it's my second tongue, so I asked him about the profiles ).
This box is basically identical to the minix u22 as they both share the same S922X-J soc. weird that the YouTube video showing the dv logo on the tv says it's only 1080p, but also that demo is only single layer profile 5 so hasn't confirmed dual layer profile 7 yet. minix offers 2-3 yrs of firmware updates and bug fixes though so it might have an edge up on the M6.
mulucy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 am

The second box would be this here Zappiti Pro 4K - link to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXH38JOeKs; the company just updated the software and pushed unofficial Dolby Vision support, scroll through comments. I have not tested any of the boxes myself, but Zappiti looks pretty good since it plays ISO and Blu-Ray folder backups with menu support. All two players support DTS:X, Atmos and DTS/Dolby lossless audio codes.
This box is ridiculously expensive, and scrolling through the comments as suggested says the chipset doesn't even support dolby vision and the dv firmware update appears fake and doesn't work for anyone who's tried it. but here's hoping!
I am not even interested in Zappiti, to be honest. BTW, the SOCs are not quite identical with Ugoos and Minix. The latter is using some custom S922X-J up 1.7Ghz, but Ugoos is using stock 2.2Ghz clock speed. The performance of Ugoos in comparison to 2019 Shield TV is almost identical. The channel I posted the videos on Youtube is the best in Runet ( Russian Internet ). He goes above and beyond to test literally everything like he is going to use it for Space travel lol. I don't understand how Minix released a product without AFR. According to the channel, Minix has a very bad reputation for promising and not releasing promised updates and fixes.
Anyway, I am not really a fan of Chinese boxes, but I am willing to give a try if they fully support the dual-layer DV files found in UHD disks ( profile 7 ). Almost forgot to mention, Ugoos supports the HD audio with Atmos/DTS:X, unlike Minix.

Minix neo u22-xj https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9NON2Imf8&t=1186s
Ugoos AM6 Plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx3BxCmgL6U&t=1117s
Ugoos Am6 Plus vs Shield TV 2019 Geekbench https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe7utgv-U4&t=740s
Last edited by mulucy on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

So it looks like the Minix NEO U22-XJ supports profile 7 and high frame rate DV
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... ision.2603
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:02 pm
olevelo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:43 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but why, when he basically asked for the easiest possible method, did you post the convoluted method using yusecope's tool, when there is now a much easier method just using makemkv and tsmuxer (and eac3to if you want TrueHD)? Is there something I'm missing that makes the old convoluted method that creates tons of files better than the new method that gives you a file that will hopefully be able to be used directly in the near future?
not taking the wrong way at all,but the problems that i'm having is atm makemkv being mean to me and not working fine,BUT that again is maybe something that i am doing wrong,so what i'm now asking is someone please make another guide for him(and me) so we can have the easy method now. and that would also make the process for me better to.
How is MakeMKV not working? There's really not much to troubleshoot as there aren't really any settings. Pop a disk in, select the tracks you want to rip, and boom, MKV.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Grencola wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:44 am
it has begun! world's first dolby vision projector :shock:
https://youtu.be/KDxzd40gv-4
Well I have a high-end (old) HDR10 projector but madVR HDR to SDR dynamic tone mapping is still muuuuuuuuch better. I don't think it will be any different with those new DV PJ.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digit ... ector.html
robolux

Post by robolux »

Hi yusesope you can set your tool to make it accept the file created by mp4muxer and if yes, since python do not know anything, how to do it?
Thank you, Roberto.

Sorry for my "Google English"
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Grencola wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm
parapata wrote:
3 Nvdia shield 2019 pro
4 Mx pro
has nvidia pushed a universal match frame rate toggle? I thought MX pro plays 24p movies in 60p, unless the entire shield gui is forced to 24p which makes it slow and jittery? Plex app supports proper frame rate matching.
There’s been an option for a while now. It’s still in beta and may not work for all apps (no idea about mx pro):

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/sup ... rame-rate/

If those Chinese amlogic boxes do end up supporting DV7, would you be getting them solely for that purpose? Without DRM support to use with Netflix and other apps, I’m having a hard time thinking of additional use cases. And if that is the only use case, wouldn’t it easier to just get a x700 for much cheaper?
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm
Grencola wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm
parapata wrote:
3 Nvdia shield 2019 pro
4 Mx pro
There’s been an option for a while now. It’s still in beta and may not work for all apps (no idea about mx pro):

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/sup ... rame-rate/

If those Chinese amlogic boxes do end up supporting DV7, would you be getting them solely for that purpose? Without DRM support to use with Netflix and other apps, I’m having a hard time thinking of additional use cases. And if that is the only use case, wouldn’t it easier to just get a x700 for much cheaper?
Not if you want 1Gb NIC and Plex, x700 does not fit the bill.
Wamglou

Post by Wamglou »

mrhollywood wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:24 pm
So it looks like the Minix NEO U22-XJ supports profile 7 and high frame rate DV
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... ision.2603
Minix will never get support profile 7. Maximum only 5 and 8.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

olevelo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 pm
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:02 pm
olevelo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:43 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but why, when he basically asked for the easiest possible method, did you post the convoluted method using yusecope's tool, when there is now a much easier method just using makemkv and tsmuxer (and eac3to if you want TrueHD)? Is there something I'm missing that makes the old convoluted method that creates tons of files better than the new method that gives you a file that will hopefully be able to be used directly in the near future?
not taking the wrong way at all,but the problems that i'm having is atm makemkv being mean to me and not working fine,BUT that again is maybe something that i am doing wrong,so what i'm now asking is someone please make another guide for him(and me) so we can have the easy method now. and that would also make the process for me better to.
How is MakeMKV not working? There's really not much to troubleshoot as there aren't really any settings. Pop a disk in, select the tracks you want to rip, and boom, MKV.
tbh i haven't really tested the MakeMKV method,so atm i was using yuescope tool cause i just went with what was reliable,so i would love a makemkv tutorial. and what ever i need to use ^^'
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
box4m

Post by box4m »

parapata wrote:
1 makemkv
2 TsMuxer dvhe.04 (ts)
3 Nvdia shield 2019 pro
4 Mx pro
Perfect DV-ATMOS-SUBT
tsmuxer doesnt seem to recognize atmos tracks, it ignores them and i get an error that it cant read it
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's because a step was skipped in what you quoted. TSMuxer won't recognize the track in an MKV. You need to use eac3to to extract a thd+ac3 track that you can then add that to TSMuxer along with the MKV.