Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thetoad

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by thetoad »

if kodi can play a profile 7 dolby vision, there's no reason it wont be able to play with menus, at least if it on a device that can run java. In this case, as an android device, it isn't a likely target (though I've been off and on investigating how to run a jvm on android for kodi to use). With that said, menus for UHDs are mostly pointless, as the vast majority of UHDs are movie only punting all the extras to the regular bluray disk (there are exceptions, but they prove the rule)
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

depends on your situation. its nice for me to skip all the demux/convert progress and put the iso/m2ts file in the M9702 and play DV/Atmos directly. i love to collect movies with menu's (iso's). for example: i have so all cuts of a movie like alien (1979), apocalypse now for my collection and not losless mkv remux files of each theatrical/extended cut. so i've save space. and menu's with series like game of thrones is useful for me.

the utility of the M9702 is big for me.
Last edited by kazuma on Fri May 15, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trujax

Post by Trujax »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:00 pm
Trujax wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:54 pm

If the internal LG player is your only playback device, stick with mp4muxer. There's no point in messing with tsmuxer since you can't use lossless atmos.
I use a Shield connected to a Yamaha Atmos receiver, but I always test with the internal LG player also, to test maximum compatibility. In the past, none of my remuxes couldn't be played with the LG, but the Shield did. Now it works flawlessly with both.
Have you tried any titles that're listed as FEL here? And does that play without stutter on your LG internal player as well?

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
Tryed with Saving Private Ryan and Midway and runs ok.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

kazuma wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 am
depends on your situation. its nice for me to skip all the demux/convert progress and put the iso/m2ts file in the M9702 and play DV/Atmos directly. i love to collect movies with menu's (iso's). for example: i have so all cuts of a movie like alien (1979), apocalypse now for my collection and not losless mkv remux files of each theatrical/extended cut. so i've save space. and menu's with series like game of thrones is useful for me.

yes, there are times where menus are of value, but there are plenty more times when they don't give value. I have an m9702, I'm using it right now, but if there was a better way to play dolby vision discs I'd drop it in a heartbeat as its a terrible device overall. I have a really really large nas storage (we are talking triple digit terrabytes). you know what the m9702 does? it wants to scan the entire thing. terrible. we all know that if the fs on your nas changes, it wont see it until you reboot (combine with the above issue of scanning)

I wish I could drop it, but as you said, its the only thing that can reliably do dolby vision for us today,
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

thetoad wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 pm
kazuma wrote:

yes, there are times where menus are of value, but there are plenty more times when they don't give value. I have an m9702, I'm using it right now, but if there was a better way to play dolby vision discs I'd drop it in a heartbeat as its a terrible device overall. I have a really really large nas storage (we are talking triple digit terrabytes). you know what the m9702 does? it wants to scan the entire thing. terrible. we all know that if the fs on your nas changes, it wont see it until you reboot (combine with the above issue of scanning)

I wish I could drop it, but as you said, its the only thing that can reliably do dolby vision for us today,
my advantage is that i'm gonna use that thing only for my extern usb HDD. i hate stream/nas things. so for my situation is this perfect. i've have all my content on my usb hdd's..

which version have you? V3? are you satisfied with it? outside nas/streaming..
whatsmyname

Post by whatsmyname »

Grencola wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:27 am
kazuma wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 pm
thetoad wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:52 pm
I use my m9702 daily, with that said, it is far from perfect. If KODI or Plex could ever play dolby vision bluray rips to my TV we;;, life will be much better. with that said, we are far from that day.
never gonna happen..
It's already happened :P the Ugoos AM6 Plus plays profile 7 dv rips in kodi 18.6 (seek to 5:15ish): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpBJSM ... Wt_2A/view I've also heard from people who have successfully played DV profile 5 rips in kodi 19 on their shield. both devices are quickly shaping up to be m9702 killers..
I didn't watch the whole video but at 5:15 he is playing a single layer DV rip. Also later in the video he mentioned that it doesn't play double layer.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Trujax wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:53 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:00 pm
Trujax wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

I use a Shield connected to a Yamaha Atmos receiver, but I always test with the internal LG player also, to test maximum compatibility. In the past, none of my remuxes couldn't be played with the LG, but the Shield did. Now it works flawlessly with both.
Have you tried any titles that're listed as FEL here? And does that play without stutter on your LG internal player as well?

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
Tryed with Saving Private Ryan and Midway and runs ok.
Ah could be just a coincidence that some of the FEL titles I have stutter on the internal player. 1917, Anna, Mission Impossible Fallout, and Fate of the Furious, just to mention a few, all stutter for me. A lot of others do seem to play without issue, though, so still seems a bit hit or miss to me.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

kazuma wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:42 pm
thetoad wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 pm
kazuma wrote:

my advantage is that i'm gonna use that thing only for my extern usb HDD. i hate stream/nas things. so for my situation is this perfect. i've have all my content on my usb hdd's..

which version have you? V3? are you satisfied with it? outside nas/streaming..
not sure which one I have, have had it for a year. At the end of the day, the only imporvement over the dune smart I upgraded to it frm is that it can do 4k and dolby vision. As the majority of 4K content that isn't dolby vision I can easily turn into MKVs that's not such a big win as Kodi on my TV can play them perfectly. So the only real win is dolby vision. Which is a real thing. But it goes to why I strongly discourage most people from getting it unless dolby vision content is very important to them. Everything else the box can do can be done cheaper and better by other devices.
box4m

Post by box4m »

whatsmyname wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm
Grencola wrote:
kazuma wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 pm

never gonna happen..
It's already happened :P the Ugoos AM6 Plus plays profile 7 dv rips in kodi 18.6 (seek to 5:15ish): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpBJSM ... Wt_2A/view I've also heard from people who have successfully played DV profile 5 rips in kodi 19 on their shield. both devices are quickly shaping up to be m9702 killers..
I didn't watch the whole video but at 5:15 he is playing a single layer DV rip. Also later in the video he mentioned that it doesn't play double layer.
Are you saying hes playing a dv single layer video in kodi 18.6?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

whatsmyname wrote:
It's an mp4, so it could be either profile. it's almost surely 7 though given this info by Nancy from the Ugoos staff:
Dual layer currently is no problem. for single layer, Amlogic will update new SDK for s922x-j soon. Shortly after we receive the SDK we will push a new update.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

Grencola wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:23 am
whatsmyname wrote:
It's an mp4, so it could be either profile. it's almost surely 7 though given this info by Nancy from the Ugoos staff:
Dual layer currently is no problem. for single layer, Amlogic will update new SDK for s922x-j soon. Shortly after we receive the SDK we will push a new update.
Hi m8 can u find out if it pays 3D ISO please? Thx
If it does 3D ISO + Dual layer Dolby Vision(which format specifically btw?), then I'll also swap my M9702 for it.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

Grencola wrote:
whatsmyname wrote:
Why does this sound too good to be true.....
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

Donpoku wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm
Hi m8 can u find out if it pays 3D ISO please? Thx
If it does 3D ISO + Dual layer Dolby Vision(which format specifically btw?), then I'll also swap my M9702 for it.
it's quite possible, I'll look into it.
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:12 pm
Why does this sound too good to be true.....
Well it's 2020, we should start seeing more and more of these devices surface. Minix even finally wrote back and said they're also waiting on the Amlogic SDK releasing at the end of the month so they can get dv colors to look proper, so everything sounds pretty legit.
whatsmyname

Post by whatsmyname »

box4m wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 pm
whatsmyname wrote:
Grencola wrote:

Are you saying hes playing a dv single layer video in kodi 18.6?
Yes, he said he created a couple of single layer videos and they are played by the Google Video Player (apparently it's an alpha version, you can't skip/rewind/pause, only stop) in Kodi.
Grencola wrote:
whatsmyname wrote:
I have no idea about this device, so maybe it can play profile 7, but in the video he definetly said it plays single layer but no double layer video.
Idk what it can do, just telling you what he said in the video.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

whatsmyname wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 pm
I have no idea about this device, so maybe it can play profile 7, but in the video he definetly said it plays single layer but no double layer video.
Idk what it can do, just telling you what he said in the video.
Thanks for clarifying! The colors I'm the video seem ok, but maybe the dv fixes in the new sdk will make it even better. cool that it can do both profiles though since 7 has already been confirmed.