Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
box4m

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by box4m »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:45 pm
box4m wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 am
when using mp4muxer, initially it uses abit of cpu and disk i/o, but then it seems to do nothing for forever until its done?
i have 3900x @ 4,25GHz and pci-e 4.0 disk so it should not take forever, what is it doing? can i enable logs?

edit: instead of making another post i got another question:

1) demux BL+EL with tsMuxer (04.06 fix)) (that has worked well for me every time without mp4box)
2) demux TrueHD audio "ffmpeg.exe -i bluray:path/to/bluray -map 0:AUDIO_STREAM -c:a copy -strict -2 X:\atmos.mp4"
3) run yusecope tool with BL+EL only -mode 1
4) "mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 4 --input-file "step3_output.hevc" --media-lang eng --output-file X:\mp4muxer_output_only_video.mp4"
5) "mp4box.exe -add X:\step4_output.mp4 -add X:\step2_output.mp4:lang=eng -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 X:\mp4box_out.mp4 -tmp X:\"

this file does not play with mxplayer on 2019 shield, i get "cant play file", with plex i get HDR10 only and weird behaviour, cant fastforward etc

What gives?
Why are you doing all of this if you have a shield? Also profile 8 is a single layer DV profile that has no EL support.
what should i be doing?
i didnt get m2ts or ts working with mxplayer
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

box4m wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:10 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm
box4m wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 am
when using mp4muxer, initially it uses abit of cpu and disk i/o, but then it seems to do nothing for forever until its done?
i have 3900x @ 4,25GHz and pci-e 4.0 disk so it should not take forever, what is it doing? can i enable logs?

edit: instead of making another post i got another question:

1) demux BL+EL with tsMuxer (04.06 fix)) (that has worked well for me every time without mp4box)
2) demux TrueHD audio "ffmpeg.exe -i bluray:path/to/bluray -map 0:AUDIO_STREAM -c:a copy -strict -2 X:\atmos.mp4"
3) run yusecope tool with BL+EL only -mode 1
4) "mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 4 --input-file "step3_output.hevc" --media-lang eng --output-file X:\mp4muxer_output_only_video.mp4"
5) "mp4box.exe -add X:\step4_output.mp4 -add X:\step2_output.mp4:lang=eng -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 X:\mp4box_out.mp4 -tmp X:\"

this file does not play with mxplayer on 2019 shield, i get "cant play file", with plex i get HDR10 only and weird behaviour, cant fastforward etc

What gives?
your powerful CPU means nothing if program uses only one thread. Since it is run from CMD, then most probably it is.

AFAIK you can create an mp4 with TrueHD, but I am not sure any existent player can play TrueHD from mp4. That's why people are using tsMuxer to mix output from yusecope's tool and TrueHD+Atmos.
try to create a profile 8, that should work on Shield TV.
I will try profile 8 thanks.
Regarding only using one thread, ye maybe, but its called mp4muxer_64bit

edit: where can i read about the profiles btw? dolby seems to have removed the pdf?
they didn't remove it, just changed the location:
https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... _09_16.pdf

yes, it is called xxx_64bit, but not xxx_64bit_mutithread. Two completely different things.

also for shield, you don't need to use Dolby's mp4muxer.
you can use your tsMuxer (04.06 fix). put output of yusecope's tool there and add sound, that's it.
for profile 8 you can try nightly release tsMuxer from 16-th March 2020.
https://bintray.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/t ... 1-36#files
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:46 pm

yes, it is called xxx_64bit, but not xxx_64bit_mutithread. Two completely different things.

you can use your tsMuxer (04.06 fix). put output of yusecope's tool there and add sound, that's it.
No, don’t do this. If you’re making BL+EL+RPU files, stick with the 04.06 version of tsmuxer you’ve been using. Profile 8 is not the correct profile to use for these files.
box4m

Post by box4m »

planet_hoarder wrote:
box4m wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:10 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm

your powerful CPU means nothing if program uses only one thread. Since it is run from CMD, then most probably it is.

AFAIK you can create an mp4 with TrueHD, but I am not sure any existent player can play TrueHD from mp4. That's why people are using tsMuxer to mix output from yusecope's tool and TrueHD+Atmos.
try to create a profile 8, that should work on Shield TV.
I will try profile 8 thanks.
Regarding only using one thread, ye maybe, but its called mp4muxer_64bit

edit: where can i read about the profiles btw? dolby seems to have removed the pdf?

tsmuxer finishes in 0seconds when trying to mux to .ts "finished with error code -1", not sure if there are logs?
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

A little unrelated to this topic.
But I'm trying to demux the blu-ray discs of westworld season 1 and 2.
But there's so many files on those discs.
How do I know which playlist contains a certain episode?
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:05 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:

No, don’t do this. If you’re making BL+EL+RPU files, stick with the 04.06 version of tsmuxer you’ve been using. Profile 8 is not the correct profile to use for these files.
Dolby's white paper says profile 4 needs two layers. yusecope tool combines two layers into one - BL+EL+RPU.hevc
even readme from latest broken mp4muxer says so:

Code: Select all

"To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU file into a .mp4 file with EC-3 audio track:\n"
           "   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.265 -i audio.ec3 -o output.mp4 --dv-profile 8 \n" 
           "            --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite \n"
           "   Note: For the Dolby vision profile 8, dv-bl-compatible-id is necessary. \n\n"
afaik, profile 4 and 7 (and dropped 6) needs second physical layer. At least when I create profile 4 from tsMuxer, it stutters on my LG OLED.
when I create profile 4,6 or 7 from old mp4muxer_64bit, plays perfectly.
when I create profile 8 from tsMuxer with output BL_EL_RPU.hevc from yusecope's tool - plays in DV on my TV.
too bad latest release of dolby's mp4muxer is faulty (created profile 8 plays in HDR), otherwise would have been a nice additional tool.

NOW. the biggest question is how to spot a difference between DV profiles (4,7,8) on the screen.
I wonder, if profile 8 is basically combined 4 and 6, with traces of 7 and older 2,3; then it is an ultimate DV profile for all. I just want to know if there is any difference.
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

MastaG wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm
A little unrelated to this topic.
But I'm trying to demux the blu-ray discs of westworld season 1 and 2.
But there's so many files on those discs.
How do I know which playlist contains a certain episode?
try create mkv episodes using makemkv. otherwise, no idea
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:10 pm
afaik, profile 4 and 7 (and dropped 6) needs second physical layer. At least when I create profile 4 from tsMuxer, it stutters on my LG OLED.
when I create profile 8 from tsMuxer with output BL_EL_RPU.hevc from yusecope's tool - plays in DV on my TV.
too bad latest release of dolby's mp4muxer is faulty (created profile 8 plays in HDR), otherwise would have been a nice additional tool.

NOW. the biggest question is how to spot a difference between DV profiles (4,7,8) on the screen.
I wonder, if profile 8 is basically combined 4 and 6, with traces of 7 and older 2,3; then it is an ultimate DV profile for all. I just want to know if there is any difference.
already have had this discussion once before:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 165#p88345

and from one of the tsmuxer dev's:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 180#p88398
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:37 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:

yeah, the theory makes sense, but I'd like to know if there is a visual difference.
if the EL makes picture in 12 bit, then it's a waste, since no TV has 12 bit panel. Means BL+RPU is more than enough for Dolby Vison.
Also dolby's whitepaper says profile 8 is not finalized. Maybe that's why profile 8 with BL+EL+RPU works for LG internal player, when profile 5 doesn't work at all.
mp4muxer_64bit always creates mp4 two tracks BL and EL+RPU (at least for profile 4,6,7 that works on LG internal player), where EL+RPU gets the dolby vision profile and BL stays HDR10.
Maybe that's why mp4's in profile 5 is not working and profile 8 plays in HDR for me. I need to create them again and check MediaInfo.
box4m

Post by box4m »

Weird question i guess but, anyone know of a player for androidtv/shield that can either playback 23.976p movies @ 24p, speed them up.
Or if you know of an application that could speedup the video and audio without stripping the DV data?
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

box4m wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Weird question i guess but, anyone know of a player for androidtv/shield that can either playback 23.976p movies @ 24p, speed them up.
Or if you know of an application that could speedup the video and audio without stripping the DV data?
AFAIK, all you have to do is run everything through MKVToolnix and manually set the frame rate. However, you'll still have to adjust the audio speed via other means.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:11 am
shawnc22 wrote:
planet_hoarder wrote:

yeah, the theory makes sense, but I'd like to know if there is a visual difference.
if the EL makes picture in 12 bit, then it's a waste, since no TV has 12 bit panel. Means BL+RPU is more than enough for Dolby Vison.
Also dolby's whitepaper says profile 8 is not finalized. Maybe that's why profile 8 with BL+EL+RPU works for LG internal player, when profile 5 doesn't work at all.
mp4muxer_64bit always creates mp4 two tracks BL and EL+RPU (at least for profile 4,6,7 that works on LG internal player), where EL+RPU gets the dolby vision profile and BL stays HDR10.
Maybe that's why mp4's in profile 5 is not working and profile 8 plays in HDR for me. I need to create them again and check MediaInfo.
So it's a bit confusing then.
Let's say I would like to remux some dual layer bluray discs to a single pid video file without discarding the enhanced layer (which turns it into 12bit video).
I'd demux the base layer and enhanced layer from the blu-ray disc and then I will use yusesope's tool to create a single pid video file (BL + EL + RPU / mode 1).
So I have my single pid hevc file (BL+EL+RPU).

I can either store it into a mp4 container using Dolby's mp4muxer, or use TSmuxer which has the ability to store HD audio as well into a TS container.

Which profile should I assign to the single pid video file inside this container?
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

MastaG wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:00 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

Let's say I would like to remux some dual layer bluray discs to a single pid video file without discarding the enhanced layer (which turns it into 12bit video).
I'd demux the base layer and enhanced layer from the blu-ray disc and then I will use yusesope's tool to create a single pid video file (BL + EL + RPU / mode 1).

I can either store it into a mp4 container using Dolby's mp4muxer, or use TSmuxer which has the ability to store HD audio as well into a TS container.

Which profile should I assign to the single pid video file inside this container?
Good question.
It depends which is playback device. If you can playback lossless audio (with proper speakers) with DV, then use tsMuxer. Otherwise mp4muxer_64bit is the best tool.

If you use mp4muxer_64bit, then you don't need yusecope's tool at all. It can create perfect DV mp4. If your device supports Profile 7, then use it.

with tsMuxer, I was only able to make work nightly release from 16th March. It creates profile 8 from BL_EL_RPU.hevc (yusecope's tool), and triggers DV on my LG OLED. Any other profile (4 or 6) from tsMuxer was not properly working for me.
Maybe because profile 8 is still work in progress and it just plays everything.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 pm
MastaG wrote:
planet_hoarder wrote:

Good question.
It depends which is playback device. If you can playback lossless audio (with proper speakers) with DV, then use tsMuxer. Otherwise mp4muxer_64bit is the best tool.

If you use mp4muxer_64bit, then you don't need yusecope's tool at all. It can create perfect DV mp4. If your device supports Profile 7, then use it.

with tsMuxer, I was only able to make work nightly release from 16th March. It creates profile 8 from BL_EL_RPU.hevc (yusecope's tool), and triggers DV on my LG OLED. Any other profile (4 or 6) from tsMuxer was not properly working for me.
I noticed the same, but I think the reason for the stutters in profile 4 and 6 is because the TV's internal player is not capable of handling the full enhanced layer of such high bitrate movies.
I think when using profile 8 it's discarding the enhanced layer and only processing the metadata.. like using BL+RPU (mode 2).
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

MastaG wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 am
planet_hoarder wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 pm
MastaG wrote:

Good question.

I noticed the same, but I think the reason for the stutters in profile 4 and 6 is because the TV's internal player is not capable of handling the full enhanced layer of such high bitrate movies.
I think when using profile 8 it's discarding the enhanced layer and only processing the metadata.. like using BL+RPU (mode 2).
No LG tv is able to playback dual layer DV profile 7 with FEL over 8MB/s. Only 60fps (Gemini Man) gave a problem.
profile 8 cannot discard anything - I create using mode 1 so it is BL+EL+RPU output