Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

@SamuriHL and @RESET9999, do either of you happen to have Saving Private Ryan ripped? I’m curious to see if the red push workaround also solved the flickering issues that was only found on this title.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Don't have that one on UHD.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:49 pm
If you have time, would you mind trying this sample from Saving Private Ryan?

https://mega.nz/file/8XZljQgZ#P2xzsRWST ... 5fCW9zZa_8

Sorry it's a bit large, but for some reason I had trouble cutting it down to anything shorter than 60s. With the Shield currently as is, you should see a lot of flickering throughout the scene. The same file played through the LG internal player doesn't display this behavior. Hoping it's the same issue that's causing the red push.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:02 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:49 pm
If you have time, would you mind trying this sample from Saving Private Ryan?

https://mega.nz/file/8XZljQgZ#P2xzsRWST ... 5fCW9zZa_8

Sorry it's a bit large, but for some reason I had trouble cutting it down to anything shorter than 60s. With the Shield currently as is, you should see a lot of flickering throughout the scene. The same file played through the LG internal player doesn't display this behavior. Hoping it's the same issue that's causing the red push.
Watching Enter the Dragon at the moment (Gotta love Bruce Lee's greatest hits collection) but when I'm done with that I can certainly give it a try and see what happens.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not the news you wanted to hear I'm sure, but, the HDFury does not do anything with the flickering at all. It's there either way.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 pm
Not the news you wanted to hear I'm sure, but, the HDFury does not do anything with the flickering at all. It's there either way.
Ah no worries, thanks for testing! Just adds to the mystery of the Shield's DV capabilities :lol:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 pm
Ah no worries, thanks for testing! Just adds to the mystery of the Shield's DV capabilities :lol:
I know right? :D But right now, I'm a HAPPY boy with the Shield DV capabilities. Played a bit of 1917 (it's SO gorgeous) and switched over to Top Gun for a full DV viewing. :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm
in the scaler tab, you select ''RGB FULL'' for colorspace and ''follow'' for deep color.

Most people will likely understand this inherently but it should be noted for those that may wonder why the picture "looks dark" with this fix, if you're on an LG display while this fix is enabled, you will want to change the Black setting to HIGH in the picture mode. Because black is getting expanded to full (obviously, I know). I'm using this fix right now with Top Gun. Man, this is bliss. :)
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2717745/

Someone copy/pasted RESET_9999's post with the fix for Dolby Vision so I asked NVIDIA to take a look. Apparently they're testing it internally and said removing the BT.2020 flag did not make a difference on their end. They have ordered an HDFury to see what else it's doing to try to eliminate that red push.

Glad to see they are listening and working on it. If that red push gets eliminated, I think this will be THE device for Dolby Vision since you'll be able to playback through Plex which is far better than the network capabilities of either the M9702 or the X700.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes, if they fix this foolish issue it'll be the best device for DV playback. It's already 90% of the way there. Player support will continue to improve, nVidia will get their uhhh stuff together and get the bugs fixed, and we'll have a unified library that'll play on anything.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41 pm

Most people will likely understand this inherently but it should be noted for those that may wonder why the picture "looks dark" with this fix, if you're on an LG display while this fix is enabled, you will want to change the Black setting to HIGH in the picture mode. Because black is getting expanded to full (obviously, I know). I'm using this fix right now with Top Gun. Man, this is bliss. :)
I didn't change any of my LG C8 Dolby vision settings and there was no brightness or black level difference at all. But I only tested with true profile 5 DV which is encoded in color range ''FULL'".
I have to try with a uhd-bd remux which is encoded in a "limited" color range but my x700 also send those uhd-bd DV in RGB FULL, so I don't expect any difference(at least not with MEL movies).

Disney+ file I tested:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 2 h 4 min
Bit rate                                 : 20.9 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.105
Stream size                              : 18.2 GiB (85%)
Color range                              : Full
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FusionNeo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 pm
Apparently they're testing it internally and said removing the BT.2020 flag did not make a difference on their end.
that's surprising. The vertex definitely fixes the DV red push on netflix, disney+, movies anywhere... So I guess the vertex is doing more than just removing the bt2020 flag..
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:53 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41 pm

I didn't change any of my LG C8 Dolby vision settings and there was no brightness or black level difference at all. But I only tested with true profile 5 DV which is encoded in colorspace ''FULL'".
I have to try with a uhd-bd remux which are encoded in a limited colorspace but my x700 also send those uhd-bd DV in RGB FULL, so I don't expect any difference(at least not with MEL movies).

Disney+ I tested:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 2 h 4 min
Bit rate                                 : 20.9 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.105
Stream size                              : 18.2 GiB (85%)
Color range                              : Full
I realized later that the black level when the TV is in Dolby Vision mode is greyed out and locked. So it would appear that it doesn't matter.
FusionNeo

Post by FusionNeo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm
FusionNeo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 pm
Apparently they're testing it internally and said removing the BT.2020 flag did not make a difference on their end.
that's surprising. The vertex definitely fixes the DV red push on netflix, disney+, movies anywhere... So I guess the vertex is doing more than just removing the bt2020 flag..
That's what I'm thinking as well. It does make a noticeable difference in the screenshots you posted, particularly in the metal on C-3PO so the Vertex definitely fixes it. Either way, looks like NVIDIA is purchasing a Vertex so they can test on their end and see what the Vertex is doing exactly that resolves the issue. Thanks for sharing your findings, I think it's pushing them in the right direction and sooner or later they'll get the colorspace right without the need for additional hardware. :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That means, however, that we should be able to play around with the HD Fury settings to see if we can narrow down exactly what the Fury is doing to fix the issue. If it's not that it's stripping out bt.2020, perhaps it's a colorspace change.