Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ragico

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 pm

However this is destructive, it might be better to just switch a bit on/off. Will see.
Here's some test samples I've created if you guys want to test: https://mega.nz/file/NEMUCBCD#95KVXGBmS ... wFyEKlsfNs
The one with HDR10+ removed should play fine on the firestick.
Tested and, as you predicted, the one with HDR10+ removed, play in Firestick and triggers DV.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ray_007 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:02 am
That is pretty amazing development tbh, but when you say this method is destructive does it mean that it destroys DV metadata or something? Lets hope that you and yusesope can work together to get this patch integrated into one of his tool soon :D
It's destructive in the fact that it completely removes the HDR10+ data, and that's not reversible.
ragico

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm
ray_007 wrote:
That is pretty amazing development tbh, but when you say this method is destructive does it mean that it destroys DV metadata or something? Lets hope that you and yusesope can work together to get this patch integrated into one of his tool soon :D
It's destructive in the fact that it completely removes the HDR10+ data, and that's not reversible.
Got it. But the original disc backup stays untouched. Would like to try an entire film like Doctor Sleep.
ray_007

Post by ray_007 »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm
ray_007 wrote:
Well there is always a trade-off and as long as we have the original backup that shouldn't be an issue. But in the end, like you mentioned that an On/Off switch approach would be much better. Cant wait to test it myself when its ready :)
bonzai84

Post by bonzai84 »

Using a Shield Pro 2019 and Plex, I have so far only been able to get DV playback from MEL content. Is this the best I can do at the moment with this setup? No FEL playback?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

bonzai84 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 pm
Using a Shield Pro 2019 and Plex, I have so far only been able to get DV playback from MEL content. Is this the best I can do at the moment with this setup? No FEL playback?
The 2019 Shield has no issues playing back FEL and MEL content. Whether or not it's doing it properly is a whole another discussion.
_dls_

Post by _dls_ »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:22 pm
bonzai84 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 pm
The 2019 Shield has no issues playing back FEL and MEL content. Whether or not it's doing it properly is a whole another discussion.
I can play both FEL and MEL on the Shield too. No way for me to know if the Shield actually decodes the full 12 bit, though. But it doesn't even matter since the colors with both profile 7 and 8 are not accurate. Both get ugly red artifacts or color shift. Only profile 5 seems to be decoded properly.
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Yes you are right. Your Windows needs THESE libraries (unpack the archive and place the two dll files where there are the files MUX.bat, DEMUX.bat, etc ...). It's not an elegant solution but it should at least work for these days of testing.
Let me know!
Are these libraries still needed? I forgot to save them and the link is already dead.
I'm just asking because for some reason I've encountered 4 movies (War of the Worlds, Terminator Genisys, Terminator Dark Fate, Valerian) in a row that were unplayable on LG C8 and M9702 after converted to MEL. I tried to mux them with tsMuxeR and mp4muxer too but they were all lagging unwatchably on C8 and gave black screen on M9702. I used the latest version of yusesope's tool and it finished with 100% every time.

Has anyone had success with either of these movies?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

PapitaHD wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm
Are these libraries still needed? I forgot to save them and the link is already dead.
I'm just asking because for some reason I've encountered 4 movies (War of the Worlds, Terminator Genisys, Terminator Dark Fate, Valerian) in a row that were unplayable on LG C8 and M9702 after converted to MEL. I tried to mux them with tsMuxeR and mp4muxer too but they were all lagging unwatchably on C8 and gave black screen on M9702. I used the latest version of yusesope's tool and it finished with 100% every time.

Why do you need to go through so much trouble for playback on the oppo clone? Just play it off your folder backup, no?
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:16 pm
PapitaHD wrote:

Why do you need to go through so much trouble for playback on the oppo clone? Just play it off your folder backup, no?
I'm trying to make remuxes for my friend who has a Philips TV and so far if a MEL conversion played fine on my devices then it worked on his Philips as well.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

The new launched iPhone 12 can produce Dolby Vision Video. So we can have more DoVi videos created by official proven method.

The iPhone 12 spec says:

Code: Select all

HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 30 fps
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Maybe a good starting point is to just accept a MKV (in addition to raw that exists already) and be able to output the raw converted HEVC file. That on its own would save a lot of time (demuxing MKV, demuxing BL/EL, converting/remuxing 8.1), and might be simpler to do.

Afterwards, the only step left would be to pass this file through MakeMKV, and it can be reused in the original MKV, simply replacing the video (I'm not sure if mkvtoolnix would keep the headers intact if the video changes to a raw file?).
That way you don't have to handle audio, subtitle, etc.
Last Saturday I was working on just that. I hope to be able to finish next weekend and above all I hope it will work :lol: :lol: !
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm
Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:08 pm
I can only thank you both for your time.
I took a quick look at a few comparisons: the Firestick performs really well. The Shield still needs to improve (but if the Stick succeeds I don't see why the Shield shouldn't do it too).
It also seems that my FEL -> MEL and UHD-> profile 8.1 algorithms work fine.
You experts, do you consider them correct? Do you have any ideas/comments on this?
Thank you!
ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:11 pm
@Yusesope
Your "test" file plays in both shield and ugoos am6+ and triggers DV.
In Firestick black screen.
Great news.
This opens the door to new experiments!
quietvoid wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 pm
Should be trivial to just skip the HDR10+ NAL unit with yusesope's script, since the parsing is well done already :)
I'll send a patch to yusesope, hopefully it's good enough.
So in the end it was HDR10 + ...
What a strange device the FireStick is ...
I haven't looked at your code yet (I assume you have discarded the Prefix SEI NAL units containing the HDR10 + metadata).
As soon as I can, I'll put it in my code.
Thanks for the invaluable help.
PapitaHD wrote:
I'm just asking because for some reason I've encountered 4 movies (War of the Worlds, Terminator Genisys, Terminator Dark Fate, Valerian) in a row that were unplayable on LG C8 and M9702 after converted to MEL.
No, they are no longer needed.
I'm having the same problem with Term Dark Fate (I believe that when muxing in the ts or mp4 container an incorrect timestamp is assigned to the various frames ... it happens with some movies)
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 pm

I can only thank you both for your time.
I took a quick look at a few comparisons: the Firestick performs really well. The Shield still needs to improve (but if the Stick succeeds I don't see why the Shield shouldn't do it too).
It also seems that my FEL -> MEL and UHD-> profile 8.1 algorithms work fine.
You experts, do you consider them correct? Do you have any ideas/comments on this?
Thank you!

The zidoo Z9x also accepts the profile 8.1 procedure. I only tested in mkv. But it works fine in this 8.06 profile.
I am your procedure:

Extract the base layer and the enhancement layer 
ffmpeg -i path\to\the\file.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:0 -c copy path\to\BL.hevc
ffmpeg -i path\to\the\file.m2ts -ss 0 -t 120 -map 0:1 -c copy path\to\EL.hevc
Using my tool, double click on the MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat file and follow the instructions on the screen.
You will get a BL_EL_RPU.hevc file.
Actually, the file does not contain EL (it's just BL+RPU).
BL_EL_RPU is just the filename !!!
Let's put it this way, you are too lazy to use the command line and I am too lazy to add lines of code for the purpose of renaming a file
Simply, create an ISO using BL_EL_RPU and TsMuxeR.
Open the ISO with MakeMKV

Vidéo
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4117 (0x1015)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Durée                                    : 2 h 18 min
Débit                                    : 35,5 Mb/s
Largeur                                  : 3 840 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 2 160 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.179

Vidéo
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4117 (0x1015)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Durée                                    : 53 min 7s
Débit                                    : 25,0 Mb/s
Largeur                                  : 3 840 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 2 160 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.126
Thank's
jayper

Post by jayper »

While we wait and hope for the Nvidia Shield to have its color issues worked out, I want to try experimenting with my Sony x700.

Are there any clear benefits to remuxing to TS over M2TS?

I do full unencrypted backups of all my discs. Am I saving myself trouble by just playing those back directly (if possible)? I'm not concerned with storage space. I would just rather have the simplest process to prepare the file, with accurate DV playback. Anyone have thoughts?
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

ok..

i just wondered... it it possible to demux correctly BL+EL+RPU generated by MakeMKV to separate BL.hevc and EL+RPU.hevc with yusesope's tool demux function (to re-use in encode)?

it stops on 98.5% in my case... stops at 98.5% and shows as done, but not whole movie is demuxed....

also... MKV from HEVC created with yusesope's tool, is marked as DVHE.07.00 in MakeMKV... ist that correct?