Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dasefx

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by dasefx »

Big news for LG 2016 oled owners!!
Someone told me that DV MP4 remux work with sony x700 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Test it, it should work and let us know!
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

dasefx wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 pm
Big news for LG 2016 oled owners!!
Someone told me that DV MP4 remux work with sony x700 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Test it, it should work and let us know!
Why 2016 LG? Wouldn't that be any DV capable TV that doesn't play them directly? Besides that though, a blu-ray player being able to play them kind of defeats the purpose to me...if I had a blu-ray player, I would just play the disc, and get DV and Atmos and everything!
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

Well, untill now, only oppo was playing DV movies
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

Thank you,
it is also working with encodes (I demux hevc file from encode + use original DV layer from Untouched BD). The only problem is that the encode is cropped because of black bars and this tool put in to the bottom of that DV layer, which has black bars. Is there any way to set it, so the encode in places in the middle of the second layer?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you're encoding with handbrake, turn off auto cropping and set the cropping four values to zero. That will leave the letterboxing untouched, so it will remain centered.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

Has anyone tried a movie that had a green tint in LG 2016 oled, but playable probably without it with sony x700?
Because someone else tried that with xbox, and it said that the TV DV version is too old
koalaman130

Post by koalaman130 »

Hey,
Sorry I am a noob to all this but I can seem to get this to even start to work.. I must be missing something. When I try to run mp4muxer it opens a command prompt window for a split second, then nothing. The same thing happens when I try using command prompt to open it, it does the same thing. If anyone has time to help, I would greatly appreciate it! I would really love to do some dv remuxes. Thank in advance!
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

koalaman130 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 am
Hey,
Sorry I am a noob to all this but I can seem to get this to even start to work.. I must be missing something. When I try to run mp4muxer it opens a command prompt window for a split second, then nothing. The same thing happens when I try using command prompt to open it, it does the same thing. If anyone has time to help, I would greatly appreciate it! I would really love to do some dv remuxes. Thank in advance!
You have to do it from a command prompt. It's command line driven. If you're in a command prompt, and navigate to the folder where it's at, you should be able to type the command line in. It shouldn't be closing the command prompt window on you.
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

koalaman130 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 am
Hey,
I do it this way: I put all tracks into the bin folder, there (if you use Windows Explorer) I type "cmd" to the address bar (bar with folder path). Then I paste there the command from post 1.
ttringle

Post by ttringle »

olevelo wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:33 pm
You can say that not having lossless audio is a non-starter, but how is that any more important than not having DV at all?
Well at the moment I only have access to HDR10 via my Samsung. My next TV will have access to HDR10, HDR10+ and most like Dolby Vision and maybe HLG as well. But if I had to choose between Lossless Audio and DV over HDR10 + Lossless Audio then DV would lose out every time. Granted I have avoided being exposed to Dolby Vision because I currently do not have a DV capable TV but I would still take lossless audio. For me audio is as important as the picture. But that might change once I have DV but Audio is still a big part of why I ever upgrade at all.

TimT
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

ttringle wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 pm
Well at the moment I only have access to HDR10 via my Samsung. My next TV will have access to HDR10, HDR10+ and most like Dolby Vision and maybe HLG as well. But if I had to choose between Lossless Audio and DV over HDR10 + Lossless Audio then DV would lose out every time. Granted I have avoided being exposed to Dolby Vision because I currently do not have a DV capable TV but I would still take lossless audio. For me audio is as important as the picture. But that might change once I have DV but Audio is still a big part of why I ever upgrade at all.

TimT
My point wasn't so much that one is more important than the other, but rather that they should both be important. If you're going to be one who insists on having the best by having lossless audio, why would you not also insist on having the best by having DV (or at least the option). I don't have an HDR10+ TV (and won't for quite awhile since I only just bought my LG OLED), but I would also argue for any capability to retain HDR10+ video as well, just as vehemently. The post I responded to originally said "what's the point?". If you don't get what the point is, then you should just be streaming off of Netflix. (granted, part of the argument was "what's the point of the current implementation without lossless audio", but that's not seeing the forest for the trees)
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

never demux the ac3 track. it's crap. the best that mp4muxer supports is actually e-ac3 dolby digital plus 7.1 + atmos. it's still lossy, but at a much higher bitrate than regular ac3 (1536kbps vs 192kbps) and you get atmos (just like Netflix, etc). if you're lucky, some movies come with an eac3 dd+ 7.1 atmos track, but if not you have to do some converting. unfortunately only 5.1 (no atmos) is possible unless you have a licensed copy of dolby media encoder suite. usually movies only have hd-audio or dts/ac3 tracks though, so always pick the hd-audio track to demux. then use eac3to or ffmpeg to convert it to e-ac3, and create your mp4 with that. lossy dts-hd or true-hd dd+ e-ac3 sounds waay better than regular lossy dts or dd ac3.
powdeau wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 am
I do it this way: I put all tracks into the bin folder, there (if you use Windows Explorer) I type "cmd" to the address bar (bar with folder path). Then I paste there the command from post 1.
even simpler, make this script:
open a new text file and paste in:

ren *.hevc baselayer.hevc
ren 0*.hevc dvlayer.hevc
ren *.ac3 audio.ac3
mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file baselayer.hevc --input-file dvlayer.hevc --input-file audio.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file movie.mp4

save it to where you keep your mp4muxer exe, and rename it to startmux.cmd

then whenever you're done demuxing a movie and converting audio, just place a copy of mp4muxer and startmux.cmd into your chosen demux folder and double click on startmux.cmd :)
Last edited by Grencola on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

By the way, MakeMKV supports on the fly DTS->AAC conversion...
jakeycrx

Post by jakeycrx »

When trying to run the command line for MP4 muxer I get the error "sc miss-match"

Does anybody know what this means and how I get round it?
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 pm
never demux the ac3 track. it's crap. the best that mp4muxer supports is actually e-ac3 dolby digital plus 7.1 + atmos. it's still lossy, but at a much higher bitrate than regular ac3 (1536kbps vs 192kbps) and you get atmos (just like Netflix, etc). if you're lucky, some movies come with an eac3 dd+ 7.1 atmos track, but if not you have to do some converting. unfortunately only 5.1 (no atmos) is possible unless you have a licensed copy of dolby media encoder suite. usually movies only have hd-audio or dts/ac3 tracks though, so always pick the hd-audio track to demux. then use eac3to or ffmpeg to convert it to e-ac3, and create your mp4 with that. lossy dts-hd or true-hd dd+ e-ac3 sounds waay better than regular lossy dts or dd ac3.
You seem to be talking out of both sides. You say don't demux the ac3 track, but then you admit that most movies don't have a DD+ track to demux directly. Then you say to demux the HD audio and convert it to e-ac3, but before that you admit that without a licensed dolby encoder, you can only get non-Atmos 5.1...so what's the point of converting when you can just demux the ac3 track? The one that's created by the movie makers is likely to be as good as or better than one that you create from converting from one format to another.