Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm
It is not advisable to demux both base layer and dolby vision layer at the same time right? As in we need to demux those one by one instead? I did that with Hellboy 2019 and it got massive stutter during playback.
No issue on my end. I always demux both video layers and audio in one step. Hellboy 2019 played perfectly fine with the x700.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm
It is not advisable to demux both base layer and dolby vision layer at the same time right? As in we need to demux those one by one instead? I did that with Hellboy 2019 and it got massive stutter during playback.
No issue on my end. I always demux both video layers and audio in one step. Hellboy 2019 played perfectly fine with the x700.
Maybe it’s the issue with my hard drive. I will try moving the film to another hard drive. Is it ok to run the demuxing on an external hard drive? Is there any chance the hard drive will break because of that? I’m asking because my previous hard drive broke and the new one starts showing sign of slowness and I ran demuxing on both.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am
Maybe it’s the issue with my hard drive. I will try moving the film to another hard drive. Is it ok to run the demuxing on an external hard drive? Is there any chance the hard drive will break because of that? I’m asking because my previous hard drive broke and the new one starts showing sign of slowness and I ran demuxing on both.
I do all my remux on an internal NVME m2 PCI-E drive because of the amazing speed and use a fast external USB 3.0 SSD drive for playback but I've experienced data writing issues with some cheap external USB enclosure. So yeah it could be a problem.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am
I do all my remux on an internal NVME m2 PCI-E drive because of the amazing speed and use a fast external USB 3.0 SSD drive for playback but I've experienced data writing issues with some cheap external USB enclosure. So yeah it could be a problem.
Funnily enough, the hard drive with the issue here is a newer one with usb 3.0, while the one without issue is pretty old with only usb 2.0 I believe.
davin8r

Post by davin8r »

Has anyone else tried just ripping the main movie file (using MakeMKV or DVDFab 11) and playing that on the Sony x700? I've tried it on 2 UHD BluRays so far, and the x700 plays the movie file in both Dolby Vision *and* Atmos at the same time. Why bother to even convert to a different file container?
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

davin8r wrote:Has anyone else tried just ripping the main movie file (using MakeMKV or DVDFab 11) and playing that on the Sony x700? I've tried it on 2 UHD BluRays so far, and the x700 plays the movie file in both Dolby Vision *and* Atmos at the same time. Why bother to even convert to a different file container?
You have to manually enable DV on the X700. It will display as such on the tv, but not be it necessarily. If you play back the same file from the tv chances are there is no DV trigger. Also, X700 cannot play Atmos from MKV TrueHD track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

bgalakazam wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm
davin8r wrote:Has anyone else tried just ripping the main movie file (using MakeMKV or DVDFab 11) and playing that on the Sony x700? I've tried it on 2 UHD BluRays so far, and the x700 plays the movie file in both Dolby Vision *and* Atmos at the same time. Why bother to even convert to a different file container?
You have to manually enable DV on the X700. It will display as such on the tv, but not be it necessarily. If you play back the same file from the tv chances are there is no DV trigger. Also, X700 cannot play Atmos from MKV TrueHD track.

They're not talking about MKV. They're talking about leaving it in an m2ts file. I've wondered the same thing if it'd work or not but not enough to pull the x700 out of the other room to test it. The internal player on the tv doesn't support m2ts playback at all.
davin8r

Post by davin8r »

bgalakazam wrote:
Dolby Vision Output is set to "on" in the Screen Settings and stays on (did you used to have to manually enable it for every movie?). Anyway, it's on, TV says it's using Dolby Vision (LG 2019 C series) and when I go to my TV's video settings it also says I'm in Dolby Vision. Also, Dolby Atmos is on via eARC.
davin8r

Post by davin8r »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 pm
bgalakazam wrote:
They're not talking about MKV. They're talking about leaving it in an m2ts file. I've wondered the same thing if it'd work or not but not enough to pull the x700 out of the other room to test it. The internal player on the tv doesn't support m2ts playback at all.

Exactly! I'm using a USB thumb drive to play the M2ts file in the x700 (which I simply renamed "Dr_Sleep" or "The_Matrix", for instance). It works, and is *so* simple. No need for demuxing/remuxing, etc etc, just rip the main movie file and your backup is complete with both DV and DA preserved.
ragico

Post by ragico »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 pm
bgalakazam wrote:

I tried on some m2ts and on Lg C8 and Panasonic Gx810 I got DV triggered together with Atmos audio. Using the Sony X700 .
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ragico wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:57 pm
I tried on some m2ts and on Lg C8 and Panasonic Gx810 I got DV triggered together with Atmos audio. Using the Sony X700 .
But this is where it gets tricky with the X700. Turning on DV sends the DV metadata for everything. So just triggering DV isn't enough of a test to know for SURE that it's truly playing DV content. Which is why I haven't bothered testing mine. Just seeing the DV logo on your display is meaningless and not a true test.
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi there. I've found your posts r.e. the X700 very useful and am tempted to buy one.

Something I'm puzzled by though (and touched upon above). Since the x700 does not auto switch into Dolby Vision, how do you know your MP4s etc are playing back with "true" dolby vision? I.e. if everything would be forced to dolby vision anyway?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

this has all been answered multiple times earlier in this thread, but it's now massive though so I get it. the x700 only plays m2ts in hdr10, NOT dolby vision. the only thing (other than discs) that works in dolby vision is a dual-layer mp4 from both dlna and usb. this has been tested extensively. forcing dolby vision to ON, as stated above, applies a pseudo dv to all content and isn't real dolby vision. turning it off will still properly flag dv so long as the actual Metadata exists and your source content is correct.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's what I thought. I don't particularly like the X700 for that very reason which is why it got replaced by a UB820 in my main entertainment center. All this effort for DB doesn't seem worth it to me, although one could argue the strides being made with Plex/Kodi on the SHIELD for DV support are pretty good barring audio support....I really wish THOSE would support DV in an m2ts container so we could keep the ATMOS. Then it'd be worth chasing after.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:34 pm
this has all been answered multiple times earlier in this thread, but it's now massive though so I get it. the x700 only plays m2ts in hdr10, NOT dolby vision. the only thing (other than discs) that works in dolby vision is a dual-layer mp4 from both dlna and usb. this has been tested extensively. forcing dolby vision to ON, as stated above, applies a pseudo dv to all content and isn't real dolby vision. turning it off will still properly flag dv so long as the actual Metadata exists and your source content is correct.
exactly.
Exactly! I'm using a USB thumb drive to play the M2ts file in the x700 (which I simply renamed "Dr_Sleep" or "The_Matrix", for instance). It works, and is *so* simple. No need for demuxing/remuxing, etc etc, just rip the main movie file and your backup is complete with both DV and DA preserved.
this is fake DV(probably similar to dvdfabs single layer remux) and the player OSD only show HDR while with UHD-BD and DV MP4, it says Dolby Vision HDR.

Hi there. I've found your posts r.e. the X700 very useful and am tempted to buy one.

Something I'm puzzled by though (and touched upon above). Since the x700 does not auto switch into Dolby Vision, how do you know your MP4s etc are playing back with "true" dolby vision? I.e. if everything would be forced to dolby vision anyway?

I use my player only for DV so i leave it in DV all the time. it's true DV, see my response bgalakazam and davin8r

and see: https://slow.pics/c/feEmrLAZ
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.