Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
yusesope

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by yusesope »

ragico wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:34 am
I have redone these 2 m2ts files but, this time, I have used an old version of tsmuxer that generates profile 7 (used by me from long time to backup my UHD bluray discs) and not the actual last nightly.
The result is that both files (test2 and 3) play flawlessly in x7oo and all problems are gone.
Great insight 8)!
Thank you for your time!
Let's wait for @jcdr428 to let us know.
Then we can start with some comparisons using the original FEL files.
The fact that you didn't have any problems this time gives me hope!
ragico

Post by ragico »

m2ts files update
the test files 2 &3 produced with the latest version of tsmuxer "w64-nightly-2020-09-20--02-24-10" play flawlessly in sony x700.

@Yusesope
I think this is a good news.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

ragico wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm
m2ts files update
the test files 2 &3 produced with the latest version of tsmuxer "w64-nightly-2020-09-20--02-24-10" play flawlessly in sony x700.

@Yusesope
Is there any picture difference between FEL and FEL to MEL?
ragico

Post by ragico »

mulucy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm
ragico wrote:
m2ts files update

@Yusesope
Is there any picture difference between FEL and FEL to MEL?
We are waiting for a new input/tool from yusesope.
From what I have seen playing the mp4 files (Despicable me 3 and US) in firestick (via kodi+yusesope exoplayer) and the original uhd discs in sony x700 (both devices directly plugged to the Panasonic GZ2000) there are no differences. I understand that we need more accurate comparisons and hope that, when ready, many users will give their opinions.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

ragico wrote:
Yes, It is!

Small recap
We are testing three methods of "converting" FEL movies to MEL (and making them playable on devices like the FireStick 4K).
The posts to be referred to are this I am writing and THIS (which I just updated).

The new tool needed for the tests and related instructions (which now include the use of TsMuxeR w64-nightly-2020-09-20--02-24-10) can be found in the second post.

Now let's open the test phase using "method 2".

Owners of FireStick 4K (or any other device capable of playing DV MEL profile 7 files but not DV FEL profile 7) can test the quality of the files produced by my tool (if they are played it is already a great success).

As we say in Italy, we are not here to comb dolls!
Since we leave nothing to chance, owners of Sony x700 (the device we have always used as a yardstick) can compare FEL files and MEL derivatives.
For some reason, the mp4 format is not liked by the BD player.
If the TS file (as per new instructions) also doesn't work then I recommend creating Dual Track Dual Layer m2ts files (using TsMuxeR w64-nightly-2020-09-20--02-24-10). I quote the instructions I had left for @ragico:
yusesope wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:37 am
Could you please try to extract the hevc (BL_EL_RPU.hevc) video stream from this latter mp4/ts file, demux it using my "DEMUX.bat", import the two bl.hevc (as first) and el_rpu.hevc (as second) into TsMuxeR and create a m2ts file to try on the Sony?
In all cases I recommend that you conduct the tests with 120 second cuts (FFmpeg).
The cuts made starting from the beginning of the film (-ss 0) work in 90% of cases.
If you want to test a particular scene, leave the value of "-t" unchanged and change the value of "-ss" by setting hh:mm:ss (example, I am interested in the scene at minute 27 second 5, set -ss 00:26:00). Cuts not made at the beginning cause problems in 30% of cases (personal statistics)
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

It's comparison time :D
And fingers crossed :lol:

You're amazing @yusesope

@ragico can you try now if the .pgs subtitles work in the firestick? thanks

I asked that because in the past I read people with problems in the shield and .pgs

Edit: an example
lexyz wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:57 pm
There are few issues with EL files playback on Shield so far:
  1. "Red push" - excessive red spots in some frames. Example - https://imgur.com/a/oXwAoOj
  2. Clipping on DVLL TV at very bright scenes. Example - https://slow.pics/c/I0k7fFq4 pay attention on snow detais.
  3. Dolby vision output in wrong colorspace. Example https://imgur.com/a/w1z1Kjg . Triggered randomy, without any oblivious pattern. Reboot to fix
  4. Overall instability on DV playback. You can notice some flashy picture changes after FF or RW mkv in exoplayer
  5. Some PGS subtitles doesn't render properly.
3, 4 and 5 are new after 8.2 update
2 probably was prior 8.2
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

I did a quick test, used v4_method2 tool's FEL to MEL mode and latest tsMuxeR nightly with Transformers 4. The resulting file plays perfectly both on M9702 and LG C8's internal player. Previously the M9702 had problems playing single track, dual layer FEL movies just as the Sony X700 (they have the same SOC afaik).
Colours seem to be all good, but I'm gonna do some much more thorough testing at the weekend.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Tested using v0.0.4_BETA_method_2
Sony x700 the m2ts plays flawlessly
Firestick bad news, in kodi/exoplayer m2ts does not play (the infamous "playback failed") and ts play only as HDR.
I have tried also the previous 004 beta but nothing changes. I have tried also my original tsmuxer prof.7 same result.
It seems tha kodi/exoplayer does not like tsmuxer files.
In the last couple of days I have been concentrated only on the sony x700 and never test m2ts/ts files in firestick/kodi/exoplayer, just discovered this today. Of course mp4 files play correctly with the known limits for audio/subs.
In firestick only plex play m2ts/ts files created with the v0.0.4_BETA_method_2 correctly but no pgs subtitltles

I tested the files also in ugoos am6plus and shield via kodi/exoplayer and had the same results of the firestick. In both devices only plex plays correctly.
Therefore I think that the problem is due to the exoplayer used in kodi.
Maestro Yusesope can you do something about it?
Last edited by ragico on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

ragico wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 pm
Firestick bad news, in kodi/exoplayer m2ts does not play (the infamous "playback failed") and ts play only as HDR.
I have tried also the previous 004 beta but nothing changes. I have tried also my original tsmuxer prof.7 same result.
It seems tha kodi/exoplayer does not like tsmuxer files.
In the last couple of days I have been concentrated only on the sony x700 and never test m2ts/ts files in firestick/kodi/exoplayer, just discovered this this today. Of course mp4 files play correctly with the known limits for audio/subs.
In firestick only plex play m2ts/ts files created with the v0.0.4_BETA_method_2 correctly but no pgs subtitltles

I tested the files also in ugoos am6plus and shield via kodi/exoplayer abd had the same results of the firestick. In both devices only plex plays correctly.
Threfore I think that the problem is due to the exoplayer used in kodi.
Maestro Yusesope can you do something about it?
Very bad news :(

I hope @yusesope can fix it
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

ragico wrote:
Exactly the same for me on Nvidia Shield with modded Exoplayer.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

hepe9 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:16 pm
I asked that because in the past I read people with problems in the shield and .pgs
I meant this https://m.imgur.com/a/DAxIPm7
It's from Jumanji (2018)
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
ragico

Post by ragico »

hepe9 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:29 pm
In firestick pgs subtitles are fully supported in HDR files, so I dont see why they should not be supported in DV files
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

I think the confusion surrounding pgs subtitles comes from Plex. Just to confirm Plex struggles with pgs subs in all files, other players, Kodi, MrMC, shouldn’t have a problem.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Just to clarify, during this testing phase when we talk about our test files (the final output of the various steps):
  • m2ts -> Dual Track Dual Layer MEL (DTDL MEL)
  • ts,mp4,mkv -> Single Track Dual Layer MEL (STDL MEL)
In case of variations it would be useful to specify it.
Are we all on the same page?
Good!

I also hope you are working with cuts and not full films... that would be crazy!
(OT: do native English speakers understand me when I say film instead of movie? Or rather, do they understand me :lol: ? By the way, I apologize for my English! I hadn't said it yet on this forum ... :mrgreen: )

PapitaHD wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:43 pm
I did a quick test, used v4_method2 tool's FEL to MEL mode and latest tsMuxeR nightly with Transformers 4. The resulting file plays perfectly both on M9702 and LG C8's internal player. Previously the M9702 had problems playing single track, dual layer FEL movies just as the Sony X700 (they have the same SOC afaik).
Colours seem to be all good, but I'm gonna do some much more thorough testing at the weekend.
ragico wrote:
Of course mp4 files play correctly with the known limits for audio/subs.
iamTa wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:44 pm
ragico wrote:
Exactly the same for me on Nvidia Shield with modded Exoplayer.
I read a lot of good news.
At this stage I'm interested in the mp4 format (simply because we have Dolby's mp4muxer and because Dolby itself got its hands on the ExoP code for this container).
Ergo, if ExoP correctly plays the edited MEL mp4 files and if the content of these files (transposed into m2ts DTDL) is played on the Sony X700/M9702 (devices that have only one task and cannot be modded...at least not by me) then the files we're testing aren't completely weird.
Comparison photos between FEL and MEL will definitively clarify the latter aspect (tolerating the possible differences between MEL and FEL).

TS plays correctly by Plex and not by ExoP ... well, then use Plex :D !
I do not see the problem (also because for subtitles there is the immortal srt format).

But you are insatiable, hungry beasts chasing their prey in the dark and attacking in the light of Dolby Vision's nits!
So, I say to you: unleash the Kraken :twisted: !!!
Instead of creating a m2ts MEL DTDL (by adding first BL.hevc and then EL_RPU.hevc in TsMuxeR), generate an ISO and feed it to MakeMKV.
Test the MKV output file on FireStick 4K (et similia) with my ExoP.

BONUS:
The ideal would be to implement all this in ExoP. That way, FS 4K owners could play their MKV FELs (Yep, FELs) on the fly while my code takes care of converting RPU units in real time.
I do not promise anything because I do not know if I am capable of that and the time to write lines of code is short, usually Saturday morning with a nice cappuccino and a delicious slice of homemade pastiera nearby (of which I am proud ... you know what, I leave you the recipe! You should definitely try! :D )
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

ragico wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 am
hepe9 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:29 pm
In firestick pgs subtitles are fully supported in HDR files, so I dont see why they should not be supported in DV files
You can try if they supported in DV

With Makemkv do DV MEL and see if .pgs subtilles work with firestick/exoplayer :wink:

@yusesope I hate so much .srt subtitles

And Makemkv can't be update to this new method and everyone happy? assuming it is 1:1 of UHD and the method work
I just ask, I don't know :wink:
Last edited by hepe9 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am, edited 7 times in total.