Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola »

justinadams wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:34 am
Can confirm this split method (sample file) does work no problem. Vizio Quantum X, Denon AVR-S750H, and shield tv pro 2019.
Lovin my Quantum X! How you liking it?
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

Grencola wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:38 am
justinadams wrote:
Can confirm this split method (sample file) does work no problem. Vizio Quantum X, Denon AVR-S750H, and shield tv pro 2019.
Lovin my Quantum X! How you liking it?
It's pretty freaking fantastic. a few minor things here and there, but nothing game breaking(aside from vizio smartcast)
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

justinadams wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:01 am
It's pretty freaking fantastic. a few minor things here and there, but nothing game breaking(aside from vizio smartcast)
Agreed 8) And just got the hdr10+ update, Amazon Prime content looks amazing now.
Last edited by Grencola on Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:18 pm
Before continuing on the path taken, I would like to test a new idea.
Those interested can download the new app and the new server HERE and the new sample file HERE.
I recommend limiting yourself to the file I uploaded (it's special :D ). You will find in the archive a TrueHD/ATMOS track and a DV dvhe.05 track. Both must be loaded into the server in the usual way.
The IP address of the server remains 192.168.1.130 and to change it use the previous instructions.
If the idea proves to be successful, I will explain to you how to rework the files you own.

As always I thank you for your feedback.
same results on the AFTV Stick 4k, flags dolby vision but black screen. it also can't do lossless atmos, just dd+ or lpcm 7.1, but cool that it works on the shield!
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

baker99 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:40 pm
It's working with Atmos and Dolby Vision...Using a Shield TV Pro 2019, LGC6 and Denon X2500
justinadams wrote:
Wonderful but It's too early to crow.
Now you need to check that the audio track and the video track are in perfect sync.
I did tests with 1080p material (the maximum I can play) and everything seems to be ok.
But first you need to create your files:
  • Use DVDFab and generate an mp4 file (dvdfab_out.mp4) without any audio track **
  • Use FFmpeg to create an mkv file with the TrueHD/ATMOS track inside
The basic idea is to use the first mp4 as a container for the DV track and the mkv one to integrate audio tracks and subtitles.
The mkv file is considered by my app as an "external subtitle" and rendered at the same time as the video track.
The mkv file, however, must contain an accessory video track that has the sole function of providing a "context" to the other streams present in the container.

After creating the dvhe.05 track with DVDfab you need to get its duration with the command

Code: Select all

ffprobe -v error -show_entries format=duration -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 \path\to\dvdfab_out.mp4
and its framerate with the command

ffprobe -v 0 -of csv=p=0 -select_streams v:0 -show_entries stream=r_frame_rate \path\to\dvdfab_out.mp4
With the data obtained (a decimal number and a fraction), launch the command making the appropriate substitutions (fields in red)
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=c=black:s=100x100:r=FRAMERATE:d=DURATION -i bluray:\path\to\bluray -map 0:0 -map 1:AUDIO_STREAM_ID -c:v libx265 -c:a copy \path\to\ffmpeg_out.mkv
If everything works properly, the last step with mp4box is completely eliminated, significantly reducing muxing times.

To export only the video track with DVDFab: right click on the info bar and then left click on "Unselect all audio tracks".

Grencola wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 am
same results on the AFTV Stick 4k, flags dolby vision but black screen. it also can't do lossless atmos, just dd+ or lpcm 7.1, but cool that it works on the shield!
If you give me the logs I can try to understand why the DV track doesn't work.
With my previous attempts, did you get ATMOS on your AVR?
It seems strange to me because the Fire TV Stick 4K has no hardware decoder for the TrueHD/ATMOS (and for the DTS family). Check HERE.
I think you can decode the audio (in PCM) because I implemented FFmpeg in my app.
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

just did this to Hobbs and Shaw, watch the first 4 min perfectly, DV, ATMOS, and no audio desync (at least so far, don't have time to sit and watch the whole thing right now)
Great work man.
Fieldy

Post by Fieldy »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am
  • Use FFmpeg to create an mkv file with the TrueHD/ATMOS track inside
Thank you man for your efforts. Great work :D
However, how to make such an mkv using FFmpeg? I was only able to create an mp4 with TrueHD/ATMOS.

ffmpeg.exe -i bluray:\path\to\bluray -map 0:2 -c:a copy -strict -2 %userprofile%\Desktop\atmos.mp4
What did I wrong?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am
If you give me the logs I can try to understand why the DV track doesn't work.
With my previous attempts, did you get ATMOS on your AVR?
It seems strange to me because the Fire TV Stick has no hardware decoder for the TrueHD/ATMOS (and for the DTS family). Check HERE.
I think you can decode the audio (in PCM) because I implemented FFmpeg in my app.
No, just like you linked I can't get THD Atmos on the firestick, only dd+ atmos, but it does decode it with your app and give pcm so I do have sound though yea. I'm using your app in hopes of just getting dv mp4s to play. they work via usb directly on my tv but that media player is slow laggy garbage. I'll get you the logs and see why it's just a black screen with sound. even the LG DV demos are the same way, yet play in dolby vision with the basic sideloaded mx player.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

justinadams wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm
just did this to Hobbs and Shaw, watch the first 4 min perfectly, DV, ATMOS, and no audio desync (at least so far, don't have time to sit and watch the whole thing right now)
Great work man.
Keep us posted!

Fieldy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 pm
However, how to make such an mkv using FFmpeg? I was only able to create an mp4 with TrueHD/ATMOS...What did I wrong?

Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:22 am
yet play in dolby vision with the basic sideloaded mx player.
Is MX Player capable of managing Dolby Vision streams?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:32 am
Grencola wrote:
Yes it is, to my surprise. It doesn't support frame-switching though, which is a deal breaker for me since I don't want to watch my 24fps movies in 60fps. hoping your player will do this?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I've not seen this posted here yet and I am not taking any credit for this info (it comes from the AVS SHIELD 2019 Pro thread) but someone posted that MrMC has added support for Dolby Vision in the latest beta. There are issues with it but they're working on fixing it. I think we're at the beginning of some good things. Just out of curiosity do we know how to master a TS with a single layer Dolby Vision stream and ATMOS? Can it just be remuxed from an MP4?
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

yusesope wrote:
justinadams wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Great work man.
Keep us posted!
Just finished, and it played all the way through perfectly. Also play/pause and skip forward/backward work as well.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm
yusesope wrote:
Grencola wrote:
Yes it is, to my surprise. It doesn't support frame-switching though, which is a deal breaker for me since I don't want to watch my 24fps movies in 60fps. hoping your player will do this?
Just tried mx player myself on the shield and yes it does trigger DV, I tried the codec for mxplayer you wrote and unfortunately it doesn't seem to give atmos for me though.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

justinadams wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:27 pm
Just finished, and it played all the way through perfectly. Also play/pause and skip forward/backward work as well.
Does framerate-switching work properly too?
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:12 am
justinadams wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:27 pm
Does framerate-switching work properly too?
I'm not 100% sure, but the display does blackout for a second like when it's switching resolutions.
but even if it is, i dont know if that's the software or the new shield pro 19. the new shield seems to play a more active role in refresh switching than the 17 model did.