Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
LV8HD

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by LV8HD »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:17 pm
I ordered the AM6B+. I think the only difference is the wifi 6

Trackings says it has now arrived in my country, I might get mine sooner than expected :)

jayper wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm
When you say the "old UGOOS AM6plus," do you mean this version? https://ugoos.com/ugoos-am6-plus-android-9-4-32-gb

Not the 2021 Version?
Is this one the only model that can theoretically playback Dolby Vision correctly or the newer models can too?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

LV8HD wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 pm
Is this one the only model that can theoretically playback Dolby Vision correctly or the newer models can too?
I don't know but all the tests and development are done with the AM6+
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

If anyone is interested in a deal on a barely used AM6+ shoot me a message (I'm based in the US). My days of being obsessed with DV playback have long past
croweyes1121

Post by croweyes1121 »

JCLG8 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:10 am
On a Sony X700 does a DV m2ts or ts file play in dolby vision as it should or does the player just take hdr10 and present it as dolby vision?
It will present DV correctly, but you must do things exactly right. I have FINALLY figured this out after a ton of trial and error.

For MOST DV movies (anything under 169 minutes or so), follow steps 1-3:

1. Rip the FULL DISC with MakeMKV. Do NOT make an mkv with MakeMKV. Full disc rip only.

2. If you don’t need to swap out any audio or subtitle tracks, you’re done. Just use the movie file (the largest m2ts file in the BDMV\Stream folder) and that will play on the X700 just fine.

3. If you do need to swap out audio or subtitle tracks, then open the movie m2ts file (from step 2) in tsmuxer, make your audio and subtitle selections, and then - and this is important - export to m2ts, NOT to a BD folder. This is the file you can play on the X700.

Now then…this is what I’ve found out - I have no idea why, but exporting to a BD folder with tsmuxer will somehow break the DV layer. It will read as HDR10 in mediainfo, and the X700 will also read it as HDR10. The ONLY WAY to preserve the DV layer is to export to m2ts, NOT a BD folder. You can check this yourself. Check the mediainfo (tree view) of your original m2ts file, and then check it again after exporting both ways. Exporting to m2ts will retain DV, but exporting to a BD folder will not. So with this in mind…

For LONGER DV movies (anything over 169 minutes) that will not natively seek on the X700, add these next steps to the ones above:

1. Once you have your final m2ts file from the steps above, take THAT file and put it BACK in tsmuxer. At this point, export to a BD folder (don’t worry, we will still keep the Dolby Vision, but the BD folder export is a necessary step here). Do not delete the m2ts file you used here. You will need it for step 2.

2. Go into the BD folder you just created, into the BDMV\Stream folder. Now this is important - the m2ts file you just used for the previous step? We will call that file A. Name it exactly the same as the m2ts file in your new BDMV\Stream folder (we will call that file B), and COPY and OVERRIDE file B with file A. What you’ve basically done is have tsmuxer make you a BD folder, but you’re replacing the m2ts file it just made with broken DV with the original one you had with intact DV. The BD folder structure will still work perfectly.

3. Copy the BDMV folder into the root of your USB device, and click on “AVCHD” on the X700 and this will make a 169+ min m2ts file seekable, maintaining DV in the process.
Last edited by croweyes1121 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
croweyes1121

Post by croweyes1121 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:07 pm
i dont know, it worked the last time I tried a long time ago and I don't have to bother with this anymore with the x800m2.
Maybe something changed in tsmuxer?
I was using MakeMKV to make an mkv file, which was giving me a DLST (dual-layer, single track) file. Those don't play on the X700. So this was an error on my end. I was finally able to get things to work (see previous post). Thank you for your help!! It at least put me on the right track.
userr

Post by userr »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 pm

Since it supports true tv-led, for cmv2.9 content it should be the same quality. I will do a direct comparison with the Shield, AppleTV, and X800m2 once I receive my Ugoos (early April, tracking says)
For cmv4.0 content, on the other hand, the ugoos should be better because cmv2.9 hardware/content have crushed black and cmv4.0 has better tone mapping.

The talk about the stable FEL build is happening here FYI:
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/dolby- ... /24273/707
I havent been keeping track on this thread for a good while, and i now see this Ugoos AM6B+

My OLED does not have PLAYER-LED capability im afraid, but would this Ugoos show FEL movies correctly on my PLAYER-LED TV? LLDV maybe its called
I now have the shield...
jayper

Post by jayper »

croweyes1121 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:51 pm
JCLG8 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:10 am
On a Sony X700 does a DV m2ts or ts file play in dolby vision as it should or does the player just take hdr10 and present it as dolby vision?
It will present DV correctly, but you must do things exactly right. I have FINALLY figured this out after a ton of trial and error.

For MOST DV movies (anything under 169 minutes or so), follow steps 1-3:

1. Rip the FULL DISC with MakeMKV. Do NOT make an mkv with MakeMKV. Full disc rip only.

2. If you don’t need to swap out any audio or subtitle tracks, you’re done. Just use the movie file (the largest m2ts file in the BDMV\Stream folder) and that will play on the X700 just fine.

3. If you do need to swap out audio or subtitle tracks, then open the movie m2ts file (from step 2) in tsmuxer, make your audio and subtitle selections, and then - and this is important - export to m2ts, NOT to a BD folder. This is the file you can play on the X700.

Now then…this is what I’ve found out - I have no idea why, but exporting to a BD folder with tsmuxer will somehow break the DV layer. It will read as HDR10 in mediainfo, and the X700 will also read it as HDR10. The ONLY WAY to preserve the DV layer is to export to m2ts, NOT a BD folder. You can check this yourself. Check the mediainfo (tree view) of your original m2ts file, and then check it again after exporting both ways. Exporting to m2ts will retain DV, but exporting to a BD folder will not. So with this in mind…

For LONGER DV movies (anything over 169 minutes) that will not natively seek on the X700, add these next steps to the ones above:

1. Once you have your final m2ts file from the steps above, take THAT file and put it BACK in tsmuxer. At this point, export to a BD folder (don’t worry, we will still keep the Dolby Vision, but the BD folder export is a necessary step here). Do not delete the m2ts file you used here. You will need it for step 2.

2. Go into the BD folder you just created, into the BDMV\Stream folder. Now this is important - the m2ts file you just used for the previous step? We will call that file A. Name it exactly the same as the m2ts file in your new BDMV\Stream folder (we will call that file B), and COPY and OVERRIDE file B with file A. What you’ve basically done is have tsmuxer make you a BD folder, but you’re replacing the m2ts file it just made with broken DV with the original one you had with intact DV. The BD folder structure will still work perfectly.

3. Copy the BDMV folder into the root of your USB device, and click on “AVCHD” on the X700 and this will make a 169+ min m2ts file seekable, maintaining DV in the process.
Glad you found a process that is working for you. It's been a while since I have used the x700, so maybe something has changed in tsmuxer but I really don't recall needing to go through this whole process.

- I would back up the full disc with MakeMKV
- Open ts muxer, select the main playlist file from the previously made backup as my input
- Select both HEVC tracks, select my preferred audio, and sub tracks
- Then output as a BDMV or AVCHD
- Place all the output contents into a usb, making sure it was in the root of the drive.

As I said, maybe something has changed... or I have forgotten some step or challenges. It has been a long time since I've done this. Either way, glad you're up and running!
croweyes1121

Post by croweyes1121 »

jayper wrote: Glad you found a process that is working for you. It's been a while since I have used the x700, so maybe something has changed in tsmuxer but I really don't recall needing to go through this whole process.

- I would back up the full disc with MakeMKV
- Open ts muxer, select the main playlist file from the previously made backup as my input
- Select both HEVC tracks, select my preferred audio, and sub tracks
- Then output as a BDMV or AVCHD
- Place all the output contents into a usb, making sure it was in the root of the drive.

As I said, maybe something has changed... or I have forgotten some step or challenges. It has been a long time since I've done this. Either way, glad you're up and running!
To be sure, those steps are absolutely fine as long as the disc is HDR10 only. An issue arises when you use tsmuxer to export to a BD folder and it loses the DV and somehow makes it HDR10. The steps I outlined are only really necessary with DV discs.
Trees

Post by Trees »

Has anyone figured out how to convert P5 MKVs to MP4? I've tried an FFMPEG command found here:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "S01E01.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s:0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -strict unofficial "S01E01.mp4"
Problem is, this command is missing the HDR format tag. I'm getting:
MediaInfo wrote:Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
Codec ID : hev1
Instead of:
MediaInfo wrote:Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.07, BL+RPU
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
I can easily convert MKVs to TS an M2TS with TSMuxerGUI, however, the SRT subtitles are automatically coverted to PGS, which are not supported by my C2.

I've converted a P5 MKV to MP4 before, but I don't remember the command, I believe it's something along the lines of:

ffmpeg -i S01E01.mkv -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -c:a copy -c:s copy S01E01.mp4
The -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb part is used when demuxing the P5 HEVC stream from a container, I believe.

Any help would be much appreciated.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

Trees wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:45 pm
Has anyone figured out how to convert P5 MKVs to MP4? I've tried an FFMPEG command found here:

ffmpeg -i "S01E01.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s:0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -strict unofficial "S01E01.mp4"
That command seems right. Make sure you are using the latest tools.

ffmpeg -i dv.mkv -map 0 -c copy -c:s mov_text -strict -2 dv.mp4
If that fails, it could be because the file is corrupted.
However, you could still try if other tools can recover it.

ffmpeg -i dv.mkv -c copy dv.hevc
mp4box -add dv.hevc:dv-profile=5 -new dv.mp4

ffmpeg -i dv.mkv -c copy dv.hevc
mp4muxer -i dv.hevc --dv-profile 5
Trees wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:45 pm
The -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb part is used when demuxing the P5 HEVC stream from a container, I believe.
As for -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb, not sure if it's needed in mp4.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 pm
bbeny123 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm
Let's assume that Ugoos AM6B Plus is stable with FEL - will it be better in terms of image quality than x800m2?
Since it supports true tv-led, for cmv2.9 content it should be the same quality.
...not according to Stacey Spears because of bugs in the UHD Blu-ray Dolby Vision v2.9 SDK (time-stamped to 1709s):
https://www.youtube.com/live/jYKMqjv1xQ ... bmg&t=1709

I don't know what all of those bugs are, but I believe with the Amlogic S922X-J being based on the DoVi v4 SDK that it should not have these same bugs Stacey references.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:39 pm
...not according to Stacey Spears because of bugs in the UHD Blu-ray Dolby Vision v2.9 SDK (time-stamped to 1709s):

I don't know what all of those bugs are, but I believe with the Amlogic S922X-J being based on the DoVi v4 SDK that it should not have these same bugs Stacey references.
Yes, I know, I watched this video Live when it aired. From the previous comparison I did with my x800m2 which has fewer bugs than the oppo/x700, there's not much difference with cmv2.9 content.

Anyway, the Ugoos finally looks like the device we were all waiting for. I know I already told you that in PM but...

So far with the limited testing I did with the ugoos...

- Perfect image on the ''multi-pattern''... first cmv4.0 device to perform that well with it.
- no visible issue with color bars patterns.
- Behave exactly like the ATV, C2 internal app and Shield for Black crush meaning CMV2.9 content is crushed while cmv4.0 content is perfect.
- FEL is stable and FF/RW keeps the BL/EL in sync properly, played Power Rangers P7 rip from start to end.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm
speeddemon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:39 pm

Yes, I know, I watched this video Live when it aired. From the previous comparison I did with my x800m2 which has fewer bugs than the oppo/x700, there's not much difference with cmv2.9 content.

Anyway, the Ugoos finally looks like the device we were all waiting for. I know I already told you that in PM but...

So far with the limited testing I did with the ugoos...

- Perfect image on the ''multi-pattern''... first cmv4.0 device to perform that well with it.
- no visible issue with color bars patterns.
- Behave exactly like the ATV, C2 internal app and Shield for Black crush meaning CMV2.9 content is crushed while cmv4.0 content is perfect.
- FEL is stable and FF/RW keeps the BL/EL in sync properly, played Power Rangers P7 rip from start to end.
Does seeking keep the FEL in sync or do you need to FF/RW. How about chapter skipping?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DylanValenti wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:43 pm
Does seeking keep the FEL in sync or do you need to FF/RW. How about chapter skipping?
I didn't have much time to test it yet but I skipped through + FF/RW in the Power Rangers P7 rip and the ending credit was perfectly in sync (bright white) just like my x800m2.
I didn't try chapters. I'll have more time this weekend to test it and will compare it with the ATV, Shield and x800m2.
I'll try to watch some FEL movies as well but so far just for testing, I played (without watching) Power Rangers and Primal Fear completely.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

RESET_9999 wrote:
DylanValenti wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:43 pm
I didn't have much time to test it yet but I skipped through + FF/RW in the Power Rangers P7 rip and the ending credit was perfectly in sync (bright white) just like my x800m2.
I didn't try chapters. I'll have more time this weekend to test it and will compare it with the ATV, Shield and x800m2.
I'll try to watch some FEL movies as well but so far just for testing, I played (without watching) Power Rangers and Primal Fear completely.
Hi there , which file is best to test CMV4.0 effect, or show is working? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk