Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

ghostshadow wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 pm
Hello, little news. I made a mkv dv profile 8 file which didn't play on the Zidoo Z9x, with audio track and subtitle, it blocked the zidoo altogether.
With the help of a colleague (Ramutcho) who was able to test, by removing the pgs (subtitle) the mkv goes well in dv. It would be necessary to test on a mkv dv with atmos tracks if by removing the subtitles that does not solve the stuttering problem.
Removing the subtitles doesn’t solve the stuttering problem in the Z9X with Dolby Vision and True HD, I have tried it, removing the subtitle or marking subtitle tracks as ‘default no’ does however stop the Z9X decoder from crashing during playback of profile 8 as you have found out.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:42 pm
ghostshadow wrote:
Hello, little news. I made a mkv dv profile 8 file which didn't play on the Zidoo Z9x, with audio track and subtitle, it blocked the zidoo altogether.
With the help of a colleague (Ramutcho) who was able to test, by removing the pgs (subtitle) the mkv goes well in dv. It would be necessary to test on a mkv dv with atmos tracks if by removing the subtitles that does not solve the stuttering problem.
Removing the subtitles doesn’t solve the stuttering problem in the Z9X with Dolby Vision and True HD, I have tried it, removing the subtitle or marking subtitle tracks as ‘default no’ does however stop the Z9X decoder from crashing during playback of profile 8 as you have found out.
Ok so thank you, TrueHD tracks and subtitles are problematic on DV, and what on zidoo?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

ghostshadow wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
ghostshadow wrote:
Ok so thank you, TrueHD tracks and subtitles are problematic on DV, and what on zidoo?
Hi sorry, should have been more precise, this is in relation to PGS subs on Profile 8 with TrueHD only on the Z9X, I also believe some people are having problems with subs both srt and pgs if they are in the container on some titles on the Shield via Plex.
Spectre (forced subs) is one in particular.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:57 am
ghostshadow wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:

Hi sorry, should have been more precise, this is in relation to PGS subs on Profile 8 with TrueHD only on the Z9X, I also believe some people are having problems with subs both srt and pgs if they are in the container on some titles on the Shield via Plex.
Thank you, but if we only talk about the TrueHD audio track with the DV it causes stuttering only on Zidoo or also on other players.
thank you
koolkunz

Post by koolkunz »

PlatypusW wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm
koolkunz wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 am
PlatypusW wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Yeah, but if you need a mkv at the end, I found with quite a few titles that the Dolby vision layers / dual video tracks end up out of sync with beta - which is a lot worse than the audio :P
making mkv using makemkv right ? after demuxing the MEL BL_EL_RPU file and muxing them in tsmuxer to iso?
how do you check that the DV layers end up out of sync or not?
Correct. Makemkv will tell you that the two layers are out of sync, seems to always occur at just after the 47 minute mark (duration of the file). If makemkv doesn’t warn you about it, you should be fine. It’s pretty obvious when it happens as makemkv suppressed the warning due too many of them.

It will still complete fine, but then when you try to watch the file, once you get to 47 minutes, as the layers are out of sync, the video just starts flashing constantly.

Has been discussed in one of these topics somewhere - the only way to avoid it for now is to use Gamma. That said, it only happened on 4/5 titles I tried so you might be okay with some.
Can you name the titles you faced this issue with?
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

koolkunz wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:21 am
PlatypusW wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:01 pm
koolkunz wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 am

making mkv using makemkv right ? after demuxing the MEL BL_EL_RPU file and muxing them in tsmuxer to iso?
how do you check that the DV layers end up out of sync or not?
Correct. Makemkv will tell you that the two layers are out of sync, seems to always occur at just after the 47 minute mark (duration of the file). If makemkv doesn’t warn you about it, you should be fine. It’s pretty obvious when it happens as makemkv suppressed the warning due too many of them.

It will still complete fine, but then when you try to watch the file, once you get to 47 minutes, as the layers are out of sync, the video just starts flashing constantly.

Has been discussed in one of these topics somewhere - the only way to avoid it for now is to use Gamma. That said, it only happened on 4/5 titles I tried so you might be okay with some.
I faced it with Apocalypse Now Final Cut
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

ghostshadow wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
ghostshadow wrote:

Thank you, but if we only talk about the TrueHD audio track with the DV it causes stuttering only on Zidoo or also on other players.
thank you
What I also know, is that when you play DV files, let's say 07.06 with TrueHD track through TV, it gets down-converted to E-AC-3. And when it does the down-convertig the DV Metadata gets stripped down and it plays only regular HDR.
When I switch to DTS or AC-3, DV playback gets restored. Maybe the down-converting happens also with Zidoo and that's why it's stuttering.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:17 am
ghostshadow wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:

thank you
What I also know, is that when you play DV files, let's say 07.06 with TrueHD track through TV, it gets down-converted to E-AC-3. And when it does the down-convertig the DV Metadata gets stripped down and it plays only regular HDR.
When I switch to DTS or AC-3, DV playback gets restored. Maybe the down-converting happens also with Zidoo and that's why it's stuttering.
Not in my case because the audio is passthrough on the zidoo and not on the tv but on an audio headset.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

koolkunz wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:21 am

For me, I know knives out worked. Push, invisible man, midway didn’t seem to. I think there was one other as well before I stopped and moved to using gamma.
fib1985

Post by fib1985 »

Hi guys,

actually have some way to play mkv dolby vision dual layer (base layer and enhancement layer) on lg cx ?
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

fib1985 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:35 am
Hi guys,

actually have some way to play mkv dolby vision dual layer (base layer and enhancement layer) on lg cx ?
No known way at the moment
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
koolkunz

Post by koolkunz »

I can't seem to make a proper MEL mkv for 1917 using either gamma or beta. The generated mkv runs fine on MPC-HC but not on PLEX on my Sony X90H TV (The files starts playing from the start but I cant seek it forward as it gets stuck in endless loading trying to seek the file forward). I have done FEL to MEL conversion for movies like First Man, Aquaman, Atomic Blonde, 13 Hours, Black Panther using gamma/beta and they run fine.

I guess this is something to do with 1917 being hdr10plus also? I tried using the skiphdr10plus command but even that made no difference.
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

koolkunz wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm
I can't seem to make a proper MEL mkv for 1917 using either gamma or beta. The generated mkv runs fine on MPC-HC but not on PLEX on my Sony X90H TV (The files starts playing from the start but I cant seek it forward as it gets stuck in endless loading trying to seek the file forward). I have done FEL to MEL conversion for movies like First Man, Aquaman, Atomic Blonde, 13 Hours, Black Panther using gamma/beta and they run fine.

I guess this is something to do with 1917 being hdr10plus also? I tried using the skiphdr10plus command but even that made no difference.
Try doing it without the audio track. In the second command window, remove the "-map 1:2". That did the trick for me.
demodemo001

Post by demodemo001 »

Can someone tell me If DV playback possible in PC now? i read this thread every now and then but last time was like 2 o 3 months ago... thanks :)
palmerwallace

Post by palmerwallace »

Apologies b/c I just stumbled upon this issue that I'm having with the inability to play FEL Dolby Vision MKVs via the Zidoo Z9X and a Sony A8H 65". MEL files I have not had an issue with.

This may be a dumb question, but is this something as easily rectified by a firmware update or the Zidoo inherently not an ideal option for Dolby Vision playback? I could move the Oppo 203 to this unit, though I'd rather keep it with my projector.

Thanks in advance. Have been combing forums on Zidoo and Sony to find other people dealing with this issue.