Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
whiplash1

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by whiplash1 »

spezi wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 am
whiplash1 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:22 am
I think it could be a hardware issue? Unable to handle a huge file at once but succeeding with smaller files? Let me know if you have any ideas.
I think your BL+EL+RPU.hevc is damaged.
First use latest MakeMKV (1.15.3) and create a working film.mkv (dvhe 07, BL+EL+RPU).
Then create a proper BL+EL+RPU.hevc using ffmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg64.exe -i film.mkv -map 0:0 -c copy BL_EL_RPU.hevc
This is working on all my tests.
Alright but will Makemkv combine the base layer and enhancement layer into a single BL_EL_RPU stream for FEL movies? Asking because mediainfo so far doesn't show such data for DV mkv files. They're yet to update it.
Koceens

Post by Koceens »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 pm
@ the owners of a Sony x700 player. @ragico(thank's a lot) found a workaround to the bug that forces you to reboot your player after any playback of a dual-layer profile 7 TS file.

play & stop this LG demo and it will somehow reset the player. You have to do that every time you stop playback of a dual-layer TS.
It's not an ideal solution but it's better than having to reboot the player.

the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZRwhD- ... sp=sharing

Also, I thought the single track FEL (EL+RPU) didn't work on the x700 but apparently some files will work. So I'm now able to compare a single track FEL file to the original disc on the x700.
If the FEL single track files are done properly, I will be able to tell if the Shield can play the FEL metadata or if it's just ignoring it.
Hello,

Can you please share steps you made to create this file? And what software versions you used (TS muxer)?
I have tried many times to create a working .ts file from my UHD Bluray, but it does not play on my Hisense U8QF via USB. Says file is not supported.
Your file works and triggers DV.

From all the methods described in this long conversation only yusesope's method is working for me and then muxing it with mp4muxer. Plays on my TV with all DV profiles. The problem is that with this method I don't know how to encode subtitles from .srt file. My TV doesn't read external subtitles from a separate file in mp4 container for some reason. I would really appreciate if someone could help with suggestion on this matter.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Koceens on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spezi

Post by spezi »

whiplash1 wrote:
Alright but will Makemkv combine the base layer and enhancement layer into a single BL_EL_RPU stream for FEL movies?
Yes.
Open film.mkv in MakeMKV:
video: MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe 07.06 BL+EL+RPU)

Only single track.
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

I've created a lot of samples of the so-called bathroom fight scene from MI Fallout (which is considered to be one of the best scenes for DV testing), in basically all formats for testing purposes:

FEL DTDL ISO: https://we.tl/t-ULqcqHX5UF
MEL DTDL ISO: https://we.tl/t-QCnGWO6BLg
FEL STDL TS: https://we.tl/t-ZjRQW5MvXp
MEL STDL TS: https://we.tl/t-t9Wyhoj13S
FEL STDL mkv: https://we.tl/t-m37JLz8GtM
MEL STDL mkv: https://we.tl/t-T9birvQfHC
Profile 8.1 STSL TS: https://we.tl/t-YjwVzKmar3
FEL x265 DTDL ISO: https://we.tl/t-GRs0U07umW
FEL x265 STDL mkv: https://we.tl/t-bfUqVCblJ8
FEL x265 STDL TS: https://we.tl/t-bE54zCPw2G

Would be great if others could test and compare them. I know re-encoded BL is not supposed to work, but it seems fine to me, maybe someone can point out what's wrong with it.
Last edited by PapitaHD on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Shield Single-layer P8 PLEX vs Shield Single-layer P5 Movies Anywhere app
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/6833

Shield Single-layer P8 vs Sony x700 Single-layer P8
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/6834

I wanted to compare the SL P8 file on the x700 with Vudu SL P5 but accessing that streaming service is a bit tricky because I'm not in the USA.
I tried a couple of different IP with a VPN but it kept failing to connect. There is no Movies Anywhere app on the x700.

yusesope wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm
I'm already going to make popcorn :lol: !
I look forward to your comparisons as much as an episode of my favorite TV series :D !
:lol:
blenky

Post by blenky »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:41 am
blenky wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:41 pm
The final MKV plays in DV fine for a few minutes but then gets choppy.
Why don't you also try an mp4 and/or ts file?
Also, you don't need to create an mp4 file before creating the ISO with TsMuxeR. Import the HEVC raw stream directly in TsMuxeR.
The reason I convert to MKV from ISO is that in previous tests the output from tsmuxer would only play HDR10. The creation of the MKV file fixed this. That' seems to have changed as did quick test creating .ts file with tsmuxer (using the HEVC file and audio from UHD) and DV was present. Will output complete 1917 movie as ts and retest.

As for creating an MP4 file I don't know how to use mp4muxer to mux the HEVC and Atmos audio file from the UHD!
blenky

Post by blenky »

Tomas wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:15 am
blenky wrote:
Did some more testing again as follows on 1917 UHD to play on Zidoo Z9X

Process below I used recommended versions of all software
  • created BL.hevc and EL.hevc using ffmpeg
  • MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat to create BL_EL_RPU.hevc
  • mp4muxer with BL_EL_RPU.hevc to create .mp4
  • tsmuxer to create iso muxing .mp4 and atmos audio from UHD
  • Finally used makemkv on the ISO created in last step. I need to do this as the ISO created plays back in HDR10
Hi, I also have a Zidoo z9x. I was rehearsing a Ninja Turtles movie. I converted in MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat, I converted the resulting file to .ts. The film plays, but then the film starts to tear.
Now I'm going to try to convert the movie Transformers. I'll write how I ended up.
I'm redoing 1917. This time the process is simply to use tsmuxer to create ts file muxing HEVC and atmos audio from UHD.

Already have HEVC from previous tests
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm
Shield Single-layer P8 PLEX vs Shield Single-layer P5 Movies Anywhere app
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/6833

Shield Single-layer P8 vs Sony x700 Single-layer P8
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/6834

I wanted to compare the SL P8 file on the x700 with Vudu SL P5 but accessing that streaming service is a bit tricky because I'm not in the USA.
I tried a couple of different IP with a VPN but it kept failing to connect. There is no Movies Anywhere app on the x700.

yusesope wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm
I'm already going to make popcorn :lol: !
I look forward to your comparisons as much as an episode of my favorite TV series :D !
:lol:
Hi, I know it isn’t entirely possible to be technically correct with external screen shots but I would say the x700 is cooler, is that what you are seeing?
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

Hello, I tested on MIDWAY FR UHD Dolby Vision . Playback on the internal player of the Panasonic HZ1500E TV

created BL.hevc and EL.hevc using ffmpeg

MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat to create BL_EL_RPU.hevc

mp4muxer with BL_EL_RPU.hevc to create .mp4

The final MP4 is well read in DV, I watched 1 hour. No image concerns.
I tested by doing the procedure to make an mkv and add my soundtracks (DTS HD)
The MKV is read without problem but in HDR PQ

I don't know how to add the DTS tracks to the mp4 (to make an mp4 file with DTS soundtracks).
I tested to mux with FFmpeg but suddenly I have an mp4 without DV (under media info)

Pour le mkv je pense pas que mon lecteur interne puisse le lire en DV, ça vient du lecteur
For the mkv I don't think my internal player can read it in DV, it comes from the player

Code: Select all

om complet                              : J:\midway\MidwayT2.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Profil du format                         : Base Media / Version 2
Identifiant du codec                     : mp42 (mp42/dby1/isom)
Taille du fichier                        : 34,3 Gio
Durée                                    : 2 h 18 min
Débit global moyen                       : 35,5 Mb/s
Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2020-10-04 16:48:40
Date de marquage                         : UTC 2020-10-04 16:48:40

Vidéo
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : dvhe
Identifiant du codec/Info                : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Durée                                    : 2 h 18 min
Débit                                    : 35,5 Mb/s
Largeur                                  : 3 840 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 2 160 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.179
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

blenky wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:24 pm
Tomas wrote:
blenky wrote:
Did some more testing again as follows on 1917 UHD to play on Zidoo Z9X

• created BL.hevc and EL.hevc using ffmpeg
  • MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat to create BL_EL_RPU.hevc
  • mp4muxer with BL_EL_RPU.hevc to create .mp4
  • tsmuxer to create iso muxing .mp4 and atmos audio from UHD
  • Finally used makemkv on the ISO created in last step. I need to do this as the ISO created plays back in HDR10
Hi, I also have a Zidoo z9x. I was rehearsing a Ninja Turtles movie. I converted in MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat, I converted the resulting file to .ts. The film plays, but then the film starts to tear.
Now I'm going to try to convert the movie Transformers. I'll write how I ended up.
I'm redoing 1917. This time the process is simply to use tsmuxer to create ts file muxing HEVC and atmos audio from UHD.

Hi, so I tried all the options mkv or ts. Both profiles played but the momentum began to mow. If you managed to do it, you would write nicely. Someone wouldn't advise what it could be. I have a Zidoo z9x. Thank you
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

Tomas wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 am
blenky wrote:
Tomas wrote:

Hi, so I tried all the options mkv or ts. Both profiles played but the momentum began to mow. If you managed to do it, you would write nicely. Someone wouldn't advise what it could be. I have a Zidoo z9x. Thank you
On your zidoo are you using the vs10 or not?
You tried to mux with mkvtoolnix your mp4 + your soundtracks (BL_EL_RPU.mp4 + atmos audio)
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

ghostshadow wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 am
Tomas wrote:
blenky wrote:

You tried to mux with mkvtoolnix your mp4 + your soundtracks (BL_EL_RPU.mp4 + atmos audio)
Hi, I have it set to AUTO. I can't open the mp4muxer program or I don't know how to do it via the command line.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

Tomas wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:45 pm
ghostshadow wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 am
Tomas wrote:

Hi, I have it set to AUTO. I can't open the mp4muxer program or I don't know how to do it via the command line.
1. You go to your folder where you have decompressed mp4muxer
2. In the window at the top you click on: File --> Open Windows PowerShell --> Open Windows PowerShell as administrator
3. You type in the console : .\mp4muxer -i path\to\BL_EL_RPU.hevc --dv-profile 8 --dv-bl-compatible-id 1 -o path\to\TEST_FILE.mp4
PS : path\to\BL_EL_RPU.hevc = location of your file BL_EL
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

Using the new MakeMKV and tsmuxer, I was able to convert my old 2 video stream MKV to a proper DV MKV - yeah!

But although the first one looked perfect, Gladiator has a huge red push to the color and a bit of crush on the blacks.

I'm using latest Nvidia shield with exoplayer. Would the FEL/MEL converter (theoretically) fix this color issue?
ray_007

Post by ray_007 »

As a partially deaf person I heavily rely on subtitles but so far I have not been able to get subtitles working on any of my DV files. Currently I am using following method:

Use tsmuxer to get 'bl' and 'el' Audio and Subtitles (PGS) files
Generate a bl-el-rpu file using 'yusesope' tool (mode 1)
Use tsmuxer to Mux bl-el-rpu+Audio+Subtitle and generate a .ts file.

The said files (format 4) works flawlessly with DV on my TV via USB HDD but the subtitles just wont work no matter what method I try. So far I have tried renaming the sub file similar to movie name, putting the sub file and movie in same folder, converting PGS to SRT, but nothing works. Even MPC-HC refuses to show subtitles on these files.

Is this a .ts file types restriction or am I doing something wrong here? Please help me out. Thanks.