Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MastaG

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MastaG »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Just tested the following using yusecope's tool v0.0.3 and tsmuxer build edited to force all profiles to 6 (sorry @jcdr, saw your build too late, but resulting file should be same in this scenario):

Joker sample file that's been used extensively here before with no audio track:
- Plays on B9 internal player, triggers DV
- Plays on 2019 Shield, triggers DV

Full Joker movie remuxed with Atmos audio:
- Plays on B9 internal player (no stutter), triggers DV, and no audio support message (as expected)
- Plays on 2019 Shield, triggers DV and Atmos audio

Here is the resulting mediainfo from the full movie remux:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 2 h 1 min
Bit rate                                 : 53.7 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.270
Stream size                              : 45.7 GiB (94%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 992 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 120 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 131
Duration                                 : 2 h 1 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 158 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 558 MiB (1%)
Language                                 : English
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects                : 15
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE
Interesting findings as my previous remux of the full joker movie that was prof 4 did stutter on my B9, so seemingly the stutter issue on the LG internal player is related to DV profiling. Also interesting that the Shield is able to play these since it's been mentioned in that past that profile 6 is not supported. As far as my eyes can tell, there is no discerning difference between the profile 6 vs 4 DV remuxes. Not sure what the best step is moving forward, since profile 6 has pretty much been deprecated? I had to go back to a 2016 version of the dolby profiles pdf to even find a mention of it.
yeah, so profile 4 stutters on LG :)
Now if profile 6 works on both the Shield (also playing the Atmos track) and LG.. then -mode 1 with profile 6 in TS should be the golden combination.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

MastaG wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm
yeah, so profile 4 stutters on LG :)
Now if profile 6 works on both the Shield (also playing the Atmos track) and LG.. then -mode 1 with profile 6 in TS should be the golden combination.
I don't know if it's as simple as saying that prof 4 is no good on the LG. The same Joker sample file that I had previously made in prof 4 played back perfectly with no stutter, it was just the full movie that was stuttering. Plus this official LG sample here: https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-comparison-uhd-4k-demo/ is a profile 4 TS with a BL+EL+RPU single track, and that plays back just fine, too
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:34 pm
I don't know if it's as simple as saying that prof 4 is no good on the LG. The same Joker sample file that I had previously made in prof 4 played back perfectly with no stutter, it was just the full movie that was stuttering. Plus this official LG sample here: https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-comparison-uhd-4k-demo/ is a profile 4 TS with a BL+EL+RPU single track, and that plays back just fine, too
@shawnc22 thanks for the confirmation on profile 6 working. The patch is pending merge in the official tsMuxer.

Mediainfo must match the following:
Profile 4: BL+EL+RPU, SDR compatible
Profile 5: BL+RPU, (Unspecified colorspace)
Profile 6: BL+EL+RPU, HDR10 compatible
Profile 7: track 1 HDR10 or HDR10+ compatible, track 2 HDR10 compatible
Profile 8: BL+RPU, HDR10 or HLG or SDR compatible
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Interesting findings as my previous remux of the full joker movie that was prof 4 did stutter on my B9, so seemingly the stutter issue on the LG internal player is related to DV profiling. Also interesting that the Shield is able to play these since it's been mentioned in that past that profile 6 is not supported. As far as my eyes can tell, there is no discerning difference between the profile 6 vs 4 DV remuxes. Not sure what the best step is moving forward, since profile 6 has pretty much been deprecated? I had to go back to a 2016 version of the dolby profiles pdf to even find a mention of it.
@shawnc22 thanks for the confirmation on profile 6 working. The patch is pending merge in the official tsMuxer.

- Profile 4: BL+EL+RPU, SDR or (Unspecified colorspace)
- Profile 5: BL+RPU, (Unspecified colorspace)
- Profile 6: BL+EL+RPU, HDR10/+ compatible
- Profile 7: track 1 HDR10/+ compatible, track 2 HDR10 compatible
- Profile 8: BL+RPU, HDR10/+ or HLG or SDR compatible

Edit: Dolby are cutting all compatibility with other HDR formats, so indeed they don't advertise compatibility with former profile 6. And profile 8 is already in "Annex I: Profiles not supported for new applications" in the latest DolbyVisionProfilesLevels_v1_3_2_2019_09_16.pdf
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

jcdr428 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Edit: Dolby are cutting all compatibility with other HDR formats, so indeed they don't advertise compatibility with former profile 6. And profile 8 is already in "Annex I: Profiles not supported for new applications" in the latest DolbyVisionProfilesLevels_v1_3_2_2019_09_16.pdf
I am sure others have reported this, but using the "yusecope tool 0.0.3 rev01 -mode 2" with the Tsmuxer 11f852a version produces profile 08.06 in TS container. I was expecting to get a Profile 5.

edit:

It has nothing to do with the Yusecope tool or revision ( experimented a little more ). It's the Tsmuxer, it defaults to profile 4 with a dual-layer and profile 8 with a single layer. Is there a way to choose the profile level before remuxing it? BTW, when playing the profile 4 Black Panther on my Apple 4K ( it only supports the profile 5 AFAIK ), it plays the file as HDR10. I thought the Profile 4 only had backward compatibility with SDR only.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

jcdr428 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

If we have to choose BL+RPU format to rip UHD Blyray disks, I think Profile 5 is a better choice, because apple tv 4k only supports Profile 5, the DVDFab also produces Profile 5 when user chooses BL+RPU.
If we choose Profile 8, maybe only shield tv 2019 support this Profile?
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

jcdr428 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Can also confirm the 2019 shield and LG C8 plays the Profile 6 files just fine. I did not watch an entire movie but testing 2 movies worked just fine.

Edit: 1917 studders on the LG C8 but plays fine on the shield. (profile 6)

Now if we can just get Nvidia to fix the color issues on the shield playing back Dolby Vision we might get somewhere :)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:03 am
jcdr428 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Can also confirm the 2019 shield and LG C8 plays the Profile 6 files just fine. I did not watch an entire movie but testing 2 movies worked just fine.

Edit: 1917 studders on the LG C8 but plays fine on the shield. (profile 6)

Now if we can just get Nvidia to fix the color issues on the shield playing back Dolby Vision we might get somewhere :)
Ah I guess we did speak too soon. I just tried 1917 as well and it is indeed still stuttering on the LG internal player (fine on the Shield still). For what it's worth, the stuttering when compared to the DV prof 4 video does not seem as severe?
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

mulucy wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:24 pm
It has nothing to do with the Yusecope tool or revision ( experimented a little more ). It's the Tsmuxer, it defaults to profile 4 with a dual-layer and profile 8 with a single layer.
@mulucy it is an old version of tsMuxer, right ? Try my fork bb51a5f : it contains correct profiles 2 to 8. The commit is pending merge with the official tsMuxer.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

jcdr428 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:40 am
mulucy wrote:
It has nothing to do with the Yusecope tool or revision ( experimented a little more ). It's the Tsmuxer, it defaults to profile 4 with a dual-layer and profile 8 with a single layer.
@mulucy it is an old version of tsMuxer, right ? Try my fork bb51a5f : it contains correct profiles 2 to 8. The commit is pending merge with the official tsMuxer.
In the scenario of ripping an UHD DoVi Bluray Disk, according to your commit, single track BL+EL+RPU will result in profile 6, and single track BL+PRU will result in profile 8, is that right?

If it’s correct, it will lose compatibility to popular tvbox, shield 2019 supports DoVi 4,5,8, apple tv only Dovi 5. Full compliance to Dolby Specification maybe ideal, but consider what we can buy from market, is it safer to stay at profile 4 and 5 ?

——————
sorry for my bad english.
Last edited by badrobot on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

jcdr428 wrote:
mulucy wrote:
Here is the version I been using it 11f852a. It does profile 4 and 8 based on what I have been getting from Black Panther UHD Blu Ray. I think profile 5 for single layer BL+RPU is more universal since it's supported by Apple TV and Fire TV as well.

I will try the linked version above. Is there an option to choose the profile before remuxing it?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mulucy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:20 am
jcdr428 wrote:
mulucy wrote:
Here is the version I been using it 11f852a. It does profile 4 and 8 based on what I have been getting from Black Panther UHD Blu Ray. I think profile 5 for single layer BL+RPU is more universal since it's supported by Apple TV and Fire TV as well.

I will try the linked version above. Is there an option to choose the profile before remuxing it?
I would also like to know if it possible to choose the profile before muxing, thanks.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

So I tested @jcdr428 PR: https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/pull/269

It now gives me profile 06.

Gemini Man:

$ mediainfo Gemini\ Man\ 2019.ts 
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : Gemini Man 2019.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 75.4 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 57 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 92.2 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.09, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Bit rate                                 : 86.6 Mb/s
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.174
Stream size                              : 70.8 GiB (94%)
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0010 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 5180 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 1577 cd/m2

Audio #1
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 944 kb/s
Stream size                              : 536 MiB (1%)
Number of dynamic objects                : 11

Audio #2
ID                                       : 4353 (0x1101)
Format                                   : E-AC-3
Format/Info                              : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital Plus
Codec ID                                 : 135
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 448 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Stream size                              : 375 MiB (0%)

$ mediainfo 1917\ 2019.ts 
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : 1917 2019.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 70.3 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 58 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 84.6 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Bit rate                                 : 79.9 Mb/s
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.402
Stream size                              : 66.4 GiB (95%)
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 168 cd/m2

Audio
Bit rate                                 : 448 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 158 kb/s
Stream size                              : 381 MiB (1%)
Number of dynamic objects                : 11
It does trigger DV but I still get the same stuttering on my LG C8.
Now I didn't test 1917 earlier so I never had it working before, but Gemini Man was working great using an older rev of TsMuxer which would give it profile 08.

In all test-cases I was using "mode 1" BL+EL+RPU.

Perhaps it's not the profile version that causes the stuttering but something else?

I'll revert back to an older rev of TsMuxer and retry both movies.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mulucy wrote:
I think profile 5 for single layer BL+RPU is more universal since it's supported by Apple TV and Fire TV as well.
Profile 8 works great on Fire TV. Not sure about Apple TV though since I don't have one to test.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 pm
mulucy wrote:
I think profile 5 for single layer BL+RPU is more universal since it's supported by Apple TV and Fire TV as well.
Profile 8 works great on Fire TV. Not sure about Apple TV though since I don't have one to test.
I have not tried the Fire TV 4K yet, but Apple TV 4K, using the Infuse Pro, recognizes as HDR10. BTW, which media player are you using to play DV files on Fire TV?