Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
olevelo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by olevelo »

spl147 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 am
Dv is really not that important to me, not enough to use a different container and loose lossless audio, if i want to watch dv i’ll just put the disc in my oppo, not a fan of the work around

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
That's great for you, that has an Oppo. Part of the reason I'm ripping my collection is so I don't have to have yet another standalone device that just plays blu rays and sits and does nothing for 90% of the time.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

olevelo wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm
spl147 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 am
Dv is really not that important to me, not enough to use a different container and loose lossless audio, if i want to watch dv i’ll just put the disc in my oppo, not a fan of the work around

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
That's great for you, that has an Oppo. Part of the reason I'm ripping my collection is so I don't have to have yet another standalone device that just plays blu rays and sits and does nothing for 90% of the time.
As olevelo (and other members) has pointed out there are still many out there who rather not or simply cannot (may not be an affordable option) have an UDP-203/205 readily available for DV playback. Don’t get me wrong, I own a 203 and 205 which I am very happy with and use extensively for my UHD playback. They are my go to for UHD playback 99% of the time. But it’s just not an option for various reasons for other individuals.

So for those individuals who rely or prefer HTPCs this could be a breakthrough. For those of us with UDPs, well there is no immediate need as stated by spl147.

And to reiterate a known fact/point regarding UDP DV playback, you do NOT need to play off the disc necessarily. UDPs can play straight from the ripped UHD BD FULL folder structure (NOT ISO) with full DV support. For those of us who prefer to backup the full folder structure (instead of using the MKV container all of the time) and storage space is not an issue, DV playback on UDPs isn’t and issue either.
Izzzy

Post by Izzzy »

Has anyone else found this in the files that came with muxer files. I was having mixed none playable results. I think I'm gonna study this for a bit.

mp4muxer usage examples:
---------------------------------------------------
To create an audio-only .mp4 file with EC-3 audio:
mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ec3 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex AC-4 audio and H.264 video:
mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ac4 -i video.h264 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU into a general(non-fragmented) single-track mp4:
mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.264 -o single_track_output.mp4 --dv-profile 0 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite

To multiplex Dolby vision BL file and EL+RPU file into a dual-track .mp4 file with EC-3 audio track:
mp4muxer -i ves_bl.265 -i ves_el_rpu.265 --dv-input-es-mode split -i audio.ec3 -o dual_track_output.mp4
-dv-profile 2 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite
Note: The audio input must not separate the BL and EL input.
corruption

Post by corruption »

Thinking this is the best place to ask:

So making a disc backup with MakeMKV--choosing to decrypt the contents retains the DV layer? It's not explicitly stated that the backups discussed in this thread used the "decrypt" option, though I don't see how you could hand off any of the materials to other software if they weren't...

EDIT: reason I ask is I made backups of my discs without decrypting. Now I'm wondering if there was any point to that at all...
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

corruption wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 pm
Thinking this is the best place to ask:

So making a disc backup with MakeMKV--choosing to decrypt the contents retains the DV layer? It's not explicitly stated that the backups discussed in this thread used the "decrypt" option, though I don't see how you could hand off any of the materials to other software if they weren't...

EDIT: reason I ask is I made backups of my discs without decrypting. Now I'm wondering if there was any point to that at all...
Yes, the backups need to be decrypted. Otherwise nothing can read them. I'm not sure why you would ever make backups without decrypting. Nothing can read them! (Well, maybe the Oppo can, but that's probably the only thing, other than PowerDVD)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

olevelo wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:43 am
(Well, maybe the Oppo can, but that's probably the only thing, other than PowerDVD)
Oppos 203/205 will require the disc to be decrypted so that it can be played via network/NAS or through the USB ports (using a external SSD/HDD or USB flash drive for example) when using the full folder structure for playback.

PowerDVD requires SGX compliance when attemting to play the full disc structure or ISO when the disc is encrypted or decrypted. So if you have a 100% SGX compliant HTPC you can probably get away with it. This is because Cyberlink was forced to have their software check for SGX compliance against full folder structure/ISO/physical disc UHD playback to stay officially licensed by the BDA/AACS, studios, and/or other licensing partners.

Anyways, if you know what you are doing, then it becomes obvious PowerDVD is a terrible choice for UHD playback anyway. As proper HDR10 support on HTPCs is better obtained through MadVR and the players that support and take advanatnge of its superior rendering.
Last edited by st4evr on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

corruption wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 pm

So making a disc backup with MakeMKV--choosing to decrypt the contents retains the DV layer?

The decrypted full structure backups keep DV. Keeps everything. Decryption of any AACS protected disc is not re-encoding or removing anything in the video or audio streams. It’s just removing the AACS protection that originally limits playback to physical media.

Modification of streams only occurs when you start messing around with re-encoding/transcoding or stripping parts of the streams or other and convert those into other types of containers like MKV or MP4 as discussed here. Although, technically you can also put a full disc into an MKV container for example if you wanted last time I checked.

So yes, there is no point in creating encrypted backups unless you want to keep those around for some odd reason and have HDD space to spare.
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

thelittleworm wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 pm
So apparently there's a method to backup UHD ISO's into MP4's that triggers Dolby Vision on an LG or Vizio television app via USB. I made this thread in the hopes we can figure out a way to reconvert this into MKV. The procecure is the following -

1. Make ISO of movie. I have only tested this with Black Panther since that's the only one I own. I will be buying Gladiator this weekend to test out though.

2. Use TS Muxer to open the ISO. Find the correct M2TS file and demux the following files:
A. HEVC1 in 4K (Base layer)
B. HEVC 2 in 1080p (this is the dolby vision enhancement layer)
C. Audio track which you will have to convert to AC3. This is a hard line limitation- you need to use AC3!!!

3. Once you have HEVC1, HEVC2, and the Audio track. Run Dolby Vision MP4Muxer (https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base)
DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

*Right now we are limited to only MP4 and AC3 audio. Hoping we figure out an MKV solution.

It sounds like its complicated, but it isn't. The entire process took me an hour to figure out, but once I did it, I sold my Xbox One X, because I'm now using my LG USB to play Dolby Vision MP4's! Hopefully this starts a discussion.

Black Panther DV mp4 rip works for you on your TV?
You have an oled LG TV? which model?
I have a 2016 LG Oled and all DV mp4 mux that are DP3 1000 nits show a green screen when I try to play them on my TV through usb.
archer

Post by archer »

dasefx wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm
I have a 2016 LG Oled and all DV mp4 mux that are DP3 1000 nits show a green screen when I try to play them on my TV through usb.
I'm playing them on an LG C8. What happens if you try and play them on your pc?
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

archer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 am
dasefx wrote:
Green screen. Damn..

Edit:
I didn't see that you were asking on PC
They play fine on my pc without DV, green screen only on my tv
Last edited by dasefx on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archer

Post by archer »

dasefx wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 am
archer wrote:
dasefx wrote:
Green screen. Damn..
What OS did you compile and run mp4muxer on?

If Windows, I used Visual Studio 2017 (free version) and built the x86 version (make\mp4muxer\windows_x86). When you first open the solution or project file, it'll prompt you to update some of the project dependencies, say yes and build it.

On macOS/Linux I had a much simpler go at it.
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

archer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:04 am
dasefx wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 am
archer wrote:

Green screen. Damn..
What OS did you compile and run mp4muxer on?

If Windows, I used Visual Studio 2017 (free version) and built the x86 version (make\mp4muxer\windows_x86). When you first open the solution or project file, it'll prompt you to update some of the project dependencies, say yes and build it.

On macOS/Linux I had a much simpler go at it.
Thats not the issue
My friend also sent me his video files, and it was the same result, green screen when it is DP3 1000 nits.
But it works very well on his Vizio TV
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

I got things confused.
They play fine on my pc without DV
Only my lg 2016 tv show green screen

By the way, has anyone tried Amazon fire stick 4k for DV?
But they would need to mux in dolby vision profile 5. Profile 7 isn't supported.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

dasefx wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:07 pm
By the way, has anyone tried Amazon fire stick 4k for DV?
But they would need to mux in dolby vision profile 5. Profile 7 isn't supported.
I tried with both the mp4 and mkv and it didn't work. Although I think I was using profile 7.
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

Try to use the command I gave you, using profile 5 even I doubt it will work