Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
PapitaHD

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by PapitaHD »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:27 am
PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am
That all sounds logical, but I watched about 20 titles from start to finish all with re-encoded BLs and I've never seen any artifacts. And I used one of the best player+screen (screen was professionally calibrated) combos that is available for DV-testing purposes.
I am sincerely happy to read what you write.

However, if someone asks me, I don't have the data to be able to certify the validity of this method.

It would be interesting to know the values ​​you use when encoding BL.
And it would be even more interesting to find out what the minimum bitrate value is before some artifacts appear (compared to the original bitrate).
I always use crf 14-18, which generates variable bitrate. For newer movies that were recorded with digital cameras and have completely smooth picture I usually lower the bitrate to 40-60% of the original, but for grainy stuff (older movies recorded on film) I never go below 65%. Besides that, I mostly use default "slow preset" settings with a few changes (deblock -3:-3, no-sao, no-open-gop, bframes 8 ).
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:42 am
Thanks.
One last question, if you saw Doctor Sleep , did you also encountered the problem of the girl's cheeks (as reported HERE) with your setup and your files?
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm
PapitaHD wrote:
Thanks.
One last question, if you saw Doctor Sleep , did you also encountered the problem of the girl's cheeks (as reported HERE) with your setup and your files?
I have that movie with re-encoded BL too (I encoded it with hdr10+ parser so only the bitrate is different once again) and I checked it again: the girl has blushed cheeks, but it seems natural to my eyes almost the same as on my HDR10 monitor and nothing like on the Shield/Plex pictures posted in your link.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 pm
yusesope wrote:
PapitaHD wrote:
Thanks.
I have that movie with re-encoded BL too (I encoded it with hdr10+ parser so only the bitrate is different once again) and I checked it again: the girl has blushed cheeks, but it seems natural to my eyes almost the same as on my HDR10 monitor and nothing like on the Shield/Plex pictures posted in your link.
Yeah that red push issue seems to be one isolated with the Shield. You wouldn’t happen to have one also would you? It’d be great to have some comparisons between the Shield and m9072 for playback of movies with an FEL.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

I was growing tired of copying everything to my USB drive. For all my Roku peeps, after ~8 hours (in addition to the already countless) spent tinkering with this horrid format that I can't seem to get away from, I finally figured out a way to stream DV files with subtitles to a Roku Home Theater Dolby Vision TV via DLNA. Plex wasn't able to do it, Windows Media Streaming couldn't do it, only Serviio could. Note that you'll need to use Profile 4 files for this. Quantitatively and qualitatively, there is no real detriment to having Profile 4 files over 5 in my experience. I usually encode everything in Profile 5 simply because the number is higher, but the only difference in reality is that 5 uses a PQ algorithm to recreate the DV colorspace while 4 has an explicit EL. However, 5 can support a theoretically higher bitrate by way of having a higher DV level (which is distinct from profile!), though I've never seen a file as of yet that exceeds 4 or 5's level capabilities. Well, this is a tangent. Anyway, to stream DV files with subtitles on a Roku DV TV-use Serviio, put the .srt with the mp4, and press play.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

tr000 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm
I usually encode everything in Profile 5 simply because the number is higher, but the only difference in reality is that 5 uses a PQ algorithm to recreate the DV colorspace while 4 has an explicit EL.
eeek don't do something simply because a number is higher. like you said, profile 5 cannot utilize an explicit EL, so there will be issues with FEL movies as a proper FEL->MEL conversion does not currently exist.
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:22 pm
PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 pm
yusesope wrote:

Thanks.
Yeah that red push issue seems to be one isolated with the Shield. You wouldn’t happen to have one also would you? It’d be great to have some comparisons between the Shield and m9072 for playback of movies with an FEL.
No, unfortunately I don't have a Shield.
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 am
stephon1024 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Is there anyway to use handbrake to compress the base file before using your special tool?
For this type of experiment, I recommend using the 0.0.4 alfa version of my tool.

You're right when you say "it's the EL where all the DV info lives" but keep in mind that the info contained in EL are "calibrated" on those inside BL.
If you re-encode BL, logically, you should also modify EL.
No one has yet reversed the algorithm needed to generate new RPU metadata (and, in the case of FEL layers, new frames).

Imagine a guy (BL layer) with a weight of 180Kg who, after following a diet, reaches a body weight of 80Kg.
His clothes (EL layer) are now unusable but the clothing stores (the algorithm) are closed due to the quarantine.
The guy will be forced to use his old clothes.
He will always have clothes on but his style will be a little "sui generis".
'

Hey yusesope, thanks so much for the quick response. really appreciate the help. I will try using the latest alfa version of the tool and report back.

Anyway, thank you again for all the hard work you've put in to the tool... it's freakin awesome.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

stephon1024 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 am
yusesope wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:
Is there anyway to use handbrake to compress the base file before using your special tool?
For this type of experiment, I recommend using the 0.0.4 alfa version of my tool.

You're right when you say "it's the EL where all the DV info lives" but keep in mind that the info contained in EL are "calibrated" on those inside BL.
No one has yet reversed the algorithm needed to generate new RPU metadata (and, in the case of FEL layers, new frames).

Imagine a guy (BL layer) with a weight of 180Kg who, after following a diet, reaches a body weight of 80Kg.
His clothes (EL layer) are now unusable but the clothing stores (the algorithm) are closed due to the quarantine.
'

Hey yusesope, thanks so much for the quick response. really appreciate the help. I will try using the latest alfa version of the tool and report back.

Anyway, thank you again for all the hard work you've put in to the tool... it's freakin awesome.
stephon1024, did you give my test samples a try? Did they work? It would be nice to get a little feedback.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
tr000

Post by tr000 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm
tr000 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm
I usually encode everything in Profile 5 simply because the number is higher, but the only difference in reality is that 5 uses a PQ algorithm to recreate the DV colorspace while 4 has an explicit EL.
eeek don't do something simply because a number is higher. like you said, profile 5 cannot utilize an explicit EL, so there will be issues with FEL movies as a proper FEL->MEL conversion does not currently exist.
It was a joke.
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 am
yusesope wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:

I've experimented a lot, re-encoding the BL layer with staxrip/x265 and 0.0.4alfa always merged it with EL without any problem. Also I have an m9702 so I can just mux the re-encoded BL and EL into full UHD BDVM structure (with tsMuxeR) and DV works. I spent hours by testing the results (re-encoded BL+EL), comparing them scene by scene to the HDR10 base layer and also to the full untouched UHD BluRay on my LG C8 Oled and I really beleive this method works perfectly. I've never noticed any difference between the files with re-encoded BL and the full UHD BluRays, but the differences were pretty significant comparing them to the untouched HDR10-base layer. I used the following movies for my tests: Aquaman, The Meg, Fantastic Beasts 2, Midway, Game of Thrones S08E03.
Using the right x265 settings, only the bitrate will be lower but everything else (including the HDR10 metadata) will be the same as in the original BL so I don't see why wouldn't it work.
PapitaHD - appreciate the feedback. I'm going to grab staxrip and see what I can do. Anything I should know about what x265 settings to use when doing this?

Thanks,
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:59 am
stephon1024 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 am
yusesope wrote:

'

stephon1024, did you give my test samples a try? Did they work? It would be nice to get a little feedback.
Hey Marty,

Yes sir, I tried both of your samples... So the DV profile 7 sample didn't work at all off the USB with a hard drive on my c9.

The profile 6 one just kept trying to do load and nothing... I think the best profile for direct play off an LG TV is DV profile 4. That works for the bluray rips too because it supports the 1:1/4 BL/EL ratio that comes on UHD bluray's with DV.

I'm able to get profile 04.06 DV files to play... again, the bitrate is just too high for the C9 SOC, so I'm trying to figure out a way to compress the BL without breaking the DV. Looks like I've got some good feedback - I'll report on this thread if I'm able to get it to work.

I'll also report on my full workflow (all software involved from backup using MKV to final output/playback).

Thanks for your help tho Marty, always worth a shot!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Profile 04.06 seems the best for the players I have access to. All the discs I've ripped with that so far work great.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

stephon1024 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 am
PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 am
yusesope wrote:

I've experimented a lot, re-encoding the BL layer with staxrip/x265 and 0.0.4alfa always merged it with EL without any problem. Also I have an m9702 so I can just mux the re-encoded BL and EL into full UHD BDVM structure (with tsMuxeR) and DV works. I spent hours by testing the results (re-encoded BL+EL), comparing them scene by scene to the HDR10 base layer and also to the full untouched UHD BluRay on my LG C8 Oled and I really beleive this method works perfectly. I've never noticed any difference between the files with re-encoded BL and the full UHD BluRays, but the differences were pretty significant comparing them to the untouched HDR10-base layer. I used the following movies for my tests: Aquaman, The Meg, Fantastic Beasts 2, Midway, Game of Thrones S08E03.
Using the right x265 settings, only the bitrate will be lower but everything else (including the HDR10 metadata) will be the same as in the original BL so I don't see why wouldn't it work.
PapitaHD - appreciate the feedback. I'm going to grab staxrip and see what I can do. Anything I should know about what x265 settings to use when doing this?

Thanks,
You should always use crf, and also check the following settings in the x265 options menu of staxrip:
Vui page: HDR10 - yes; Block-level luma and chroma QP optimization for HDR10 content - check this box
Slice Decision page: Open gop - uncheck (no open-GOP); min GOP size 1, Max GOP size 24
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Are there any differences in quality of the dv profiles? e.g. dvhe06.06 vs dvhe08.06. If yes the which is the best?